What's new

Rex Ambassador or Envoy

Depends on your likings.
The Rex design is quite aggressive, at least in my opinion. So the fixed setting envoy might not fit properly.
The ambassador is a real beauty, very nice and well made. Thr adjustment mechanism is really good, the wheel runs firm, so no danger of changing the setting.

I sold mine because I liked other razors more.

Go for one of them if you like more aggressive. For me the envoy would have been too much, as i used the rex maximum at 2,5. All above was too much blade feel.

To compare, I like the Rockwell @6 and the gamechanger. 84-p

I can also say that I didn't like the dragging on my skin while shaving.

Depends on your likings.
The Rex design is quite aggressive, at least in my opinion. So the fixed setting envoy might not fit properly.
The ambassador is a real beauty, very nice and well made. Thr adjustment mechanism is really good, the wheel runs firm, so no danger of changing the setting.

Go for one of them if you like more aggressive. For me the envoy would have been too much, as i used the rex maximum at 2,5. All above was too much blade feel.

Thanks for the info! So the envoy would be more aggressive than the gamechanger .84?

Highly recommend the Rex Ambassador. I didn’t find mine to be overly aggressive. I get my best shaves from this razor. And I believed it cured my RAD. Until I thought I’d tryout straight razor shaving. :001_rolle. I have a 2020 P edition. Don’t know if it’s any different from the last couple of years. And I haven’t seen anyone compare them.
Such a beautifully engineered piece of work you cannot help but admire it.

I'm actually returning mine because it's too aggressive for my skin, even on a low setting like a 1 or a 1.5. It's a really well designed razor and I wish it worked for me.

I'm actually returning mine because it's too aggressive for my skin, even on a low setting like a 1 or a 1.5. It's a really well designed razor and I wish it worked for me.
i used an ambassador for the first time tonight,
iv been using the feather ASD2 for the past 6 months so i knew this shave was going to be different.
Pass 1 setting 4
wow this ripped me to bits then again it could have been my technique
Pass 2 setting 2 again my face was on fire and couldn’t take it
Pass 3 setting 1
by this time my face was a mess but i still felt 1 was to much for me.
I will persevere perhaps i should have started on 1.
what Blades did you try ?
i used a first use Timor,
now i don’t know much about these blades other than they are quite expensive at £4.
i did feel it tugging but whether it was the blade or my angle i’m unsure

I tried a few different blades, Gillette silver blue, feather, derby green, and astra green to no improvement. I still got too much of the blade feel and my skin was really irritated. I’m sure with enough practice I could get better at it, but considering the price tag and how great of a shave I get with a Gillette black beauty or my Rockwell 6s I’d rather not subject my face to it. It’s a shame since it’s a nice razor. Just not for my sensitive skin.

I have both and prefer the adjustability of the Ambassador more and the fact that it is a 2 piece razor. The Envoy is perfect for me but I really dislike the rounded sides(cap and baseplate where blade tabs are) on 3 piece razors, just seems dangerous to me as the razor can slip and turn easier when tightening down and can cut you. If you have more questions let me know, I’ll try my best to answer.

My first couple shaves were quite harsh. But after pairing it with a GSB its the best. YMMV. I stopped using my other DE razors now. I also think my problem at the beginning was also starting at 4 for the first pass. Its just not necessary.

My first couple shaves were quite harsh. But after pairing it with a GSB its the best. YMMV. I stopped using my other DE razors now. I also think my problem at the beginning was also starting at 4 for the first pass. Its just not necessary.
i done that very thing
started at 4 and my face was in bits, this was paired with a Timor blade
second shave i went down to a 1 and swapped the Timor for a Voskod and it was like day & night,
great shave although iv still a lot of learning to do

Depends on your likings.

Great info, thank you for sharing. I am looking to add a Rex to my collection, but unsure which one I should pick up.

Top Bottom