What's new

Review of two brushes from Peter at Wolf Whiskers

Gents and Ladies,

Wanted to pass on my review of my two new purchases from Peter at Wolf Whiskers. First of all, Peter is a true professional and an absolute gentlemen to work with. His passion for making custom brushes for B and B members comes through every time you communicate with him.

My brush preferences: I spent too much time in the elements (chlorine, sun, surf, and desert) in the past and the skin on my face is thin/sensitive. I have tried a number of brushes, and I prefer truly soft tips, with a little flop as opposed to backbone. Working with Peter I ordered two smaller knots (small to me) set at two different heights for a different "flop-ness"

The Blue Eagle. High Mountain White Badger, 22mm at 50mm loft. (2.27 loft to knot ratio). Wow is this handle a beauty and is the knot really dense. It has no face feel….just like a cloud swirling around my face. And while it has a higher loft ratio, it is dense enough that face lathering, shave sticks, tabac, Barrister and Mann, TOBS cream has not been a problem. That handle is AWESOME. Blemish free and the acrylic is stunning. The pics do not do it justice.

Carmel Popcorn Bob.
Super Grade A Silvertip 24mm Set at 52mm (2.16 loft to knot ratio). This knot is not nearly as dense as the first one. This brush reminds me of my Kent BK8 just a bit smaller. While it has a little face feel. I would have to say it is a slight scrub. At first it has some scratch….but after breaking it is nice and soft. Lost a few hairs at the beginning but it seems to have stopped. It has medium to high flow thru so it is not a lather eater. Again I have lathered with soaps and creams and it handles them all. Again the handle is superb.

Unfortunately for us here at B and B, Peter has answered our nations call and will be on deployment in rather short order so he cannot make brushes year round. I know that as soon as he returns and my "gentlemanly restraint for 2014 is completed, I will be in line for another custom brush….so that means I have over a year to figure it out. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Peter, I wish you and a family a speedy and safe deployment with fair winds and following seas.

Lucas

P.S. His are the great pics, mine are the not so great ones.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 199
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 202
  • $DSC_0014.jpg
    $DSC_0014.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
That blue Eagle looks fantastic. The other one ain't too shabby neither. Just curious, if you have experience with TGN finest knots, how does the HMW compare?

Nice review. I had actually downloaded a pic of your blue one off his vendor thread earlier this
Week. I want him to make me a handle of similar material when he gets back

Patrick, I had a TGN Finest a while back…too scritchy for me. I bought it off of B/S/T and pif'd it a few days later. Not sure if that helps but the HMW and the Super Grade A silver tips are in two different leagues….even more of a contrast than the FINEST.

Hope it helps,

Lucas

Patrick, I had a TGN Finest a while back…too scritchy for me. I bought it off of B/S/T and pif'd it a few days later. Not sure if that helps but the HMW and the Super Grade A silver tips are in two different leagues….even more of a contrast than the FINEST.

Hope it helps,

Lucas

Thanks for the info Lucas. I may have to look into the HMW for my next brush.

Top Bottom