What's new

Review - Monteverde Invincia - Medium Nib

I want to preface this by saying I know my review won't be as good or in depth as Bob's, he kinda showed us all up with that one, but I will do my best as I am still a FP noob and only have like 5 of them. So my wife got me a nice Monteverde Invincia for my birthday. She paid about $50 with taxes, dang California.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421112100.871020.jpg

First impression from the packaging was good, hefty box made with faux leather. The pen sits on a "pillow" with a compartment underneath for the converter and a blue and black standard cartridge.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421112214.251172.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421112234.437390.jpg

The pen itself is nice, this is the "carbon fiber" finish, it's a black and gunmetal checker pattern. Very smooth finish on the barrel and no sign of flaking or chipping that plagued my other Monteverde. Even after a month of pocket use it still looks like I just took it out of the package, no scratches or wear. The pen comes in at 1.4 oz capped/posted and 1oz even no cap.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421112395.493471.jpg

The nib is a medium in the American style, a true medium line. It is made from iridium and writes very smoothly. It puts down a nice thick line with no skips or stutters. It always starts even after a week or so of no use. I've used both the cartridge and the converter with Parker Quink and Noodler's Air-Corp Blue Black. It isn't the "smoothest" pen I have, it has a bit of feedback that I don't mind, not scratchy at all, just a bit stiff. I can't really compare it to much but the Pilot VP is SMOOTH, this pen is not as smooth as that but close.

Pros - price point is low for a nice "suit" pen. Nib is smooth with a bit of feedback. Good weight and length for my medium sized hands. Converter holds a good amount of ink. Starts after a good time of no use. No skips or stutters.

Cons - a bit of feedback on the nib, I put this as a pro and con since some people like feedback while others despise it. The cap doesn't like to stay posted during use, this is the most annoying part to me but some don't post anyway so ymmv.

So that was my review, any questions please ask and I will answer as best I can. Thank you nib for my newest "hobby" and reason for SWMBO to hate B&B more!

how do you find the metal grip on that, I had to get rid of my MV as it qpuldnt stay put in my hand because of how slippery it was during long sessions

how do you find the metal grip on that, I had to get rid of my MV as it qpuldnt stay put in my hand because of how slippery it was during long sessions

I don't mind the metal grip so much, I tend to "choke up" on my pens when I write so most of my grip is on the barrel and the threads so I don't find it slipping at all. This grip keeps me from holding the pen too tight and using my whole hand. But I can see that it would be a problem since it's pretty smoothly

Good review. I like the nib. It reminds me of a Faber Castell nib. Now, give us a review of that comfortable looking lazy boy

Great review! Thanks

i have the rollerball version of this pen my dad bought me. Great balance with a nice heft to it

Thanks guys, the couch isn't as comfy as it looks unfortunately, we got it second hand so some of the life is smooshed out of it. That's what you have to deal with to live relatively debt free and just starting a family. I do love the pen, not my daily writer, that's my VP, but the looks are enough for me to carry it in civvies and I love how "broad" the nib looks. No hiding the fountain pen look of this one.

Top Bottom