What's new

Reusing lather. Does anyone else do this?

No, not saving for another shave.
I face lather mostly using creams. I use a mug to soak my brush and dip the tip of my brush in the mug to add water to the leather.
I also swish my DE razor in the mug to rinse of the hair and lather. The lather floats to the top and I've found that on subsequent passes I can dip my brush into this slightly runner lather as a way of refreshing the lather left in the brush.
At the very least I've found that it allows more control in adding water and might to make the cream go further.
It's just a little thing I've found myself naturally doing and wondered if it's something other people to.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I tried, but my “water” turns unused lather into soap scum. You’d think calcium, iron, and manganese would have better things to do than trash my unused suds. Very unmetal of them.

nope. I face lather off pucks and have been doing it long enough to load the right amount or more for my passes. what's left in the brush goes down the drain. I may wet my face between passes if the load is slightly dry/thick. that's about it.

I don't have enough lather on the razor at the end of a pass to re-use it, but I do squeeze left over lather off the brush and put it in the shave mug on top of the soap. Waste not want not.....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I fill the sink and two mugs. The two mugs get the water adjusted with citric acid.

The left hand mug is for the razor. No stubble is allowed in the other two. The right hand mug is for the brush, and is one of the lather mugs with the bumps in the bottom. That's where the brush gets soaked (if applicable), where the water comes from for hydrating lather further, and for the brushes final rinse. The water in the sink is for rinsing the face.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use to throw the excess waste lather into a waste basket or down the sink drain but lately I brush the lather to the front area of my lather bowl and leave it there to wash only my hands. I like the scent of most of my soap lathers I have generated + it does not seem as waste full.
I find I use less hand soap and the wife does not complain so its a win win.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don't. If it's off my face via the razor, down the drain. I leave the water flow lightly and don't fill the sink. I might take a few drops of water from the running stream to add to my brush, but if my brush doesn't have enough lather, then back to the puck or a bit more cream etc.

I guess growing up with water restrictions has influenced my habits. Luckily I have soft water here.
I've never noticed any issue with stubble in the lather or my brush, but I totally get that being an issue.
Interesting.

I don't have enough lather on the razor at the end of a pass to re-use it, but I do squeeze left over lather off the brush and put it in the shave mug on top of the soap. Waste not want not.....
I comb lather out of my prep brush, and shaving brush, back into their bowls.

Lather from the razor that floats on water is no longer lather, it’s soap scum contaminated by stubble and has no longer a lather-like consistency.

In short; I do not use it.
Even being stationed in a desert environment for 34 years, it was not something that I ever considered.

B.

If I'm using a brushless cream, I'll sometimes scrape the lather off the bottom of the razor and re-use it if I don't feel like dispensing more. This usually happens towards the end of the shave.
Even with three days' worth of whiskers, it poses no problem.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As for stubble in the soap it is almost nonexistent from my routine of shaving because I cold water rinse my face after each pass + a daily shaver (stubble is minimal in length.).

Top Bottom