What's new

Restoration Etiquette

When restoring brushes, should you put the same type of knot into it (boar/badger) that was in it originally? Does it matter?

When restoring brushes, should you put the same type of knot into it (boar/badger) that was in it originally? Does it matter?

We are assuming that restores are for personal use--so you should put in whatever type of knot you think you will use--and will fit.

Last edited:
If you are restoring for a collectible value then I would say same knot. I mainly restore for my own use or for others though so I agree TPS and say use what you would actually like to use.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The knot is already dead so I should replace with what I like...

There are purists who feel it should be replaced with a like knot. In some cases I don't think that is even possible anymore. I don't think any brush has a value so high that it must be restored as original... besides the knot can be changed back to whatever anyway.

Like everyone else said, put in what you want :001_smile.

Replace with whatever your heart desires... The TGN knots are damn good value knots that last a while!

Legion

Staff member
Nah, use what you want.

The only time I might give it a second thought is when the handle says "Pure Badger" or "Pure Boar" in big letters on it.

Agree with the others. Since boars are so cheap anyway, you may as well buy a new one. I would generally put a badger in everything (Although I do have a handle that says nylon bristle on it and am thinking of replacing that one with a synthetic)

Top Bottom