What's new

Rest in Peace, Denny Laine

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Rest in peace, Denny (1944 - 2023)

th.jpg

This hurts. 79 yo. Co-founder of the Moody Blues. Nearly as important to Wings as Paul McCartney. I did not trealize this until just now, but apparently Band on the Run was recorded largely as a trio--DL, PM, and LM. The real deal, DL played lead and rhythm guitars, sang lead and backing vocals, and played keyboards, bass, and woodwind. Wrote and co-wrote songs. Pretty amazing to play bass in a PM band.

Rest in peace, Denny (1944 - 2023)

View attachment 1759463
My brother was a Moody Blues freak and loved "Go Now", a song that he (my brother, who was a producer later in life) says is one of the most poorly recorded songs ever, with the needles totally pinned.
I was a fan of Laine later, when he was with Sir Paul in Wings. To me, he was one of those guys who "served the song", in other words, he didn't hog the spotlight or play long, searing solos, although I'm sure he was capable of it, but instead added to the song with just the right rhythm playing or a little lead or just the right voice harmony.
I know it's all inevitable that the rock icons we grew up 50 or even 60 years ago will pass on. But it seems like it's almost every day now that we lose someone who added so much to our lives when we were young and (fairly) innocent.
I always liked Denny Laine and I know he had health issues the last few years of his life. May he R.I.P. and know that he was appreciated during his time here on Earth.

Amazing bassist in Wings as well which is no easy feat as Paul was no slouch. Too bad but he was rocking right until the end.

Top Bottom