What's new

Replacement for stollen pen

I am sooo mad right now. SOmeone stole my FP at work Thursday. WHat makes it worse is, I am a teacher so that means a kid stole it. The one time I don't put it back in my shirt pocket.

:mad3:

The one that disappeared was my Lamy Studio. I will be getting another but I need to also land a Jinhao I think. I need some advice first. I have searched for a general description of what to expect with the jinhao quality control. Is it a crap shoot like so many things from China? Can I switch out the nibs, or will the nib be fine?

Whoa. Edit time seems to have decreased, or time flies when you are looking at pens.

After reading and searching I am either getting 2 Pilot metropolitan pens, or two Jinhao 159. Based on your experience, since I won't be able to try either of these before buying, has the smoother fine sized nib?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pilot 78g ... $10 shipped, with converter ... if (ie when) one of those darlings lifts the next one, the damage will be bearable (financially ... your lost faith in the future of mankind will be present regardless of the price of the pen.)

I would highly recommend a jinhao x750. You can find them on the bay for $3.00. The one I have is a great pen and worth ten times the price. Would I buy 10? Yes, next time I place an order I will be buying in quantity. $30 is too cheap not to have an assortment and backups at work, car home plus a few for friends and Christmas gifts.

Watch Massdrop for the Metros or get your 78G's. They are nearly the same pen. 78Gg is easier on my hand but YMMV.

Staples and other stores will occasionally have killer deals on the Metros as well.

I would highly recommend a jinhao x750. You can find them on the bay for $3.00. The one I have is a great pen and worth ten times the price. Would I buy 10? Yes, next time I place an order I will be buying in quantity. $30 is too cheap not to have an assortment and backups at work, car home plus a few for friends and Christmas gifts.
I'd agree with this, though feel the need to add that they always seem to be shipped with a medium nib and write fairly wet. Not the fine that the OP seems to be after. They take a standard #6 nib though so can be changed easily

I'm a Pilot fan. Check out the Goulet Nib Nook - http://www.gouletpens.com/nib-nook - This will show you the width of the ink lines laid down by different pens. Japanese nibs often write much finer than European nibs. That is a Japanese medium nib might be comparable to the German nib in your stolen Lamy Studio.

I'm a middle school teacher. I gave a fountain pen to a social studies teacher that shared some really good lesson plans, complete with a full set of materials, with me. A kid took the pen off her desk while she was helping another student. She knew who had it, he's stolen things before and he was near her desk. But, the kid denied it. There were no direct witnesses so nothing could be done. Later that day he came to my class with Diamine Sapphire Blue hands. Gotcha! Unfortunately, he had destroyed her pen in the process of discovering how it worked. He still denied everything but we found more blue handed kids who watched him take the pen apart. (Gotta love blue ink!)

Sorry to hear you lost something to a kid who needs to learn honesty. There are two losers in your situation.

I have a feeling the pen will turn up in the future...sorry about your loss for the time being. Like Bob eluded to...fountain pens are too much fun for the kids not to play with it or show it off to friends.

I have a feeling the pen will turn up in the future...sorry about your loss for the time being. Like Bob eluded to...fountain pens are too much fun for the kids not to play with it or show it off to friends.

I have four Baoer fountain pens in my desk for kids who want to try out a pen. It's amazing what they will do to get a chance to use one for a half hour or so.

Top Bottom