What's new

Rehomed Omega boar

One of my favorite boar knots has always been the Omega 40033, one of the two "might midget" models they offer. It's got a lot of backbone but a soft, delicious scrub - once it's broken in :) The math says I should find it too floppy, but instead it mimics the vibe of the Omega Jade - my hands down favorite boar brush.

The handle, however is a different story - one of disquiet, dissatisfaction and ultimately awash in irreconcilable differences.

1695414204654.png

It's a very small handle. Super small. "Is my hand cramping?" small for my big bear paws. And the plastic seam started splitting apart about a month in. Great knot, horrible handle.

I mentioned this condrummum to @Tanuki one day and he asked to borrow the brush for a while, "maybe I can do something with that" he says. Not long after that we're walking and he casually pulls a brush out of his pocket, "What do think of this?"

1695414891496.png

Well, it's perfect!

The shape is evocative of one of the classic shapes that I like a ton, it fits in the hand well and the decorative elements look great, help grip but aren't annoying. I love the style of the leopardwood pattern and the texture of the unpolished grain - it's like having griptape wrapped on there! I've had a few shaves with it now and it's super comfortable in action.

He calls it a prototype but I think it's on the nose. Thank you @Tanuki, you've got some talent young man. I'm enjoying enjoying that knot again now that it's in a handle more deserving of its greatness.

One of my favorite boar knots has always been the Omega 40033, one of the two "might midget" models they offer. It's got a lot of backbone but a soft, delicious scrub - once it's broken in :) The math says I should find it too floppy, but instead it mimics the vibe of the Omega Jade - my hands down favorite boar brush.

The handle, however is a different story - one of disquiet, dissatisfaction and ultimately awash in irreconcilable differences.

View attachment 1721829

It's a very small handle. Super small. "Is my hand cramping?" small for my big bear paws. And the plastic seam started splitting apart about a month in. Great knot, horrible handle.

I mentioned this condrummum to @Tanuki one day and he asked to borrow the brush for a while, "maybe I can do something with that" he says. Not long after that we're walking and he casually pulls a brush out of his pocket, "What do think of this?"

View attachment 1721832

Well, it's perfect!

The shape is evocative of one of the classic shapes that I like a ton, it fits in the hand well and the decorative elements look great, help grip but aren't annoying. I love the style of the leopardwood pattern and the texture of the unpolished grain - it's like having griptape wrapped on there! I've had a few shaves with it now and it's super comfortable in action.

He calls it a prototype but I think it's on the nose. Thank you @Tanuki, you've got some talent young man. I'm enjoying enjoying that knot again now that it's in a handle more deserving of its greatness.
What a great story!

View attachment 1722180

Adam, it's a lovely brush, and a better story.

To me the Mighty Midget is a good little brush with a terrific knot. It's a great donor brush.

What a beautiful wood!

Happy shaves,

Jim

:) I've super pleased about the whole thing on several levels. The wood grain is really something, it's startlingly 3D. Photos don't completely do it justice.

After some back and forth discussion, we decided to finish it with a few coats of linseed oil. It darkened the wood more than we expected but it came out great - better than the lighter shade we were shooting for I think.

And no garages were set on fire by spontaneously combusting linseed oil rags, which was a bonus.

Top Bottom