What's new

Reddit

There are some real "WHACK JOBS" on Reddit. If you can wade through all the noise and craziness, there is some good content there but WOW are there some real crazies!

The Flashlight forum and the Hank and Firefly flashlight forums are solid. The Firefly forum is the best way to interact with that Chinese maker. Trolls tend to get ejected pretty fast so, not nearly as bad as the other Reddit forums I have visited.

The razor Reddit forums are really schewed to a different focus and audience. A lot of focus on razors available on the 'street' in India when I was there last. It's all good but, learning about a $2 DE razor sold only in local market stalls in India isn't of much interest to me today.
lol there is specifically an Indian Wetshavers forum on reddit. There are several different forums on reddit as well though where people use the same or similar razors as here. I won't link to any since it's against the rules here iirc but just wanted to let you know. Or it's possible you did find those and people happened to have used janky razors in those posts.

Thread there currently where there is general agreement that Saponificio Varesino is inferior to most "artisan" soaps... Fells like most of them have been shaving for 10 minutes and can't comprehend anything that is longer than a Tiktok video.

I think if I released an aritisinal soap with a smegma base and paid influencers to spruik it, I'd be overwhelmed by these people.
I own 3 SV soaps, have been shaving for much longer than 10 minutes, and completely agree with their assessment. I'd wager a great many people do... and that hardly implies a failure to comprehend anything longer than a TikTok video.

I, personally, prefer traditional forums like B&B, overall. That said, your excessively judgemental post is a perfect example of one of Reddit's advantages over B&B. There's certainly less "how dare you like something else" over there.

Last edited:
lol there is specifically an Indian Wetshavers forum on reddit. There are several different forums on reddit as well though where people use the same or similar razors as here. I won't link to any since it's against the rules here iirc but just wanted to let you know. Or it's possible you did find those and people happened to have used janky razors in those posts.
I have checked out several forums there but, not all of the Razor forums with low membership levels. If a forum can only get ~300 members, where is the interest and why should I give it any attention?

I've been reading, and occassionally contributing, for more than five years. It is not an outlier.

To be fair though, that was a question posted in the Daily Questions thread which tends to get a lot of inquiries from newer wetshavers or people who want to know about products/producers they're not familiar with. If a newer wetshaver were to ask me if buying an SV soap was a great idea at the retail price, I certainly wouldn't say yes, and I'd suggest other options at a much lower price.

People on the W_S sub definitely lean towards supporting the artisans that are active and engaging there, but I think that's great and I don't think that's different than the way it is on B&B or DFS. I think that a huge benefit that Reddit offers in that department is that (as far as I know) there's no requirement for artisans or vendors to pay subscription fees to post about their products or offerings, or be limited in what threads or subforums they can do so. It makes it really easy for them to just be there and engage, and what's cool is that they do it in a way that's super supportive of other artisans and not just their own business. And it makes it easier for newer producers to try to get their name out there without having to commit to an annual cost; granted there are plenty of them that come off really shill-y and they tend to get scolded for it, but to be honest I also appreciate that there's not nearly as much censorship on reddit and folks can speak(type) openly.

Does some of the stuff there get repetitive, especially the way threads are formatted? Of course... but I think we can say there's a lot of repetition and overlap here too.

I own 3 SV soaps, have been shaving for much longer than 10 minutes, and completely agree with their assessment. I'd wager a great many people do... and that hardly implies a failure to comprehend anything longer than a TikTok video.

I, personally, prefer traditional forums like B&B, overall. That said, your excessively judgemental post is a perfect example of one of Reddit's advantages over B&B. There's certainly less "how dare you like something else" over there.

My issue, for clarities sake, is the circle jerk reaction that some soaps (those foreign ones mostly), are inferior. Not for some people, but just by fiat. SV, MdC, Dr Harris, and other triple milled soaps are used extensively by straight shavers, including myself, and I can categorically state that, for me, they are some of the best performers available.

My issue, for clarities sake, is the circle jerk reaction that some soaps (those foreign ones mostly), are inferior. Not for some people, but just by fiat. SV, MdC, Dr Harris, and other triple milled soaps are used extensively by straight shavers, including myself, and I can categorically state that, for me, they are some of the best performers available.

Maybe because so many people there seem to feel if the Boomers like it, they can't? Could be these brands don't have artisan cred? Not cool enough for them.

I find it hard to find good info with all the other noise. Ranking things by popularity means a lot of good info that might be there gets buried.

... but to be honest I also appreciate that there's not nearly as much censorship on reddit and folks can speak(type) openly.

Censorship over there is MUCH WORSE than any forum I have been on. Censorship is not from Reddit so much as it is from the moderators. I have been banned for saying FREEDOM OF CHOICE is something everyone should have and other controversial statements that saw me getting banned! There are a lot of people over there on a real power trip with a huge chip on their shoulder.

That being said, you can find good forums over there but, it is a bit of a "needle and haystack" search.

Censorship over there is MUCH WORSE than any forum I have been on. Censorship is not from Reddit so much as it is from the moderators. I have been banned for saying FREEDOM OF CHOICE is something everyone should have and other controversial statements that saw me getting banned! There are a lot of people over there on a real power trip with a huge chip on their shoulder.

That being said, you can find good forums over there but, it is a bit of a "needle and haystack" search.
Yeah I think that’s very mod-specific, not from Reddit itself like you said. I haven’t really experienced that on the couple subs that I visit, fortunately… it’s worth noting too that things could continue to change there as they move forward as a publicly-traded company.

I've enjoyed the wicked_edge subreddit just fine, overall the same level of goodwill and open mindedness as over here, and I regularly recognise users from here over there as well. I will say the search function on B&B is superb, so it's much easier to find relevant threads and keywords. The search function for reddit is useless.

Thread there currently where there is general agreement that Saponificio Varesino is inferior to most "artisan" soaps... Fells like most of them have been shaving for 10 minutes and can't comprehend anything that is longer than a Tiktok video.

I think if I released an aritisinal soap with a smegma base and paid influencers to spruik it, I'd be overwhelmed by these people.
Hi! I've been in this hobby for 9 years. I don't watch TikTok videos. I like Tabac soap. It's great! I made one of the comments and it is my honest opinion that I have my reasons for. I'm not trying to bash anyone or argue with them about soap preferences either, as I said "Many people love these soaps". However, my opinion is just as valid as yours even though it differs. And thanks for the thought, but I'll pass on the smegma soap. Have a wonderful day sir!

Some subs have mods that will censor and ban for saying anything they don't agree with, for example, I got a 72 hour ban for "hate speech" for saying "the most qualified person should get the job". However, that was more about the mods than Reddit's official policy. When you have good mods, you can say whatever you want on Reddit.

Reddit has more of a mods abusing power issue than a censorship issue. Then again...I've seen some very unjust bans on B&B, too

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Then again...I've seen some very unjust bans on B&B, too

I highly doubt that. I can't think of a single member since you've joined that has been banned unjustifiably. Heck, I can't think of a single member that has been banned since I've been a Mod (since 2017) that did not have it coming. On the contrary, many members that get banned are given multiple warnings and more opportunities than they should to comply with our Terms of Use. Mods have stated a number of times throughout the forum that we don't like to air dirty laundry, and generally remove posts that are in violation of the TOU. So, while it might seem like whoever's ban might have been unjustifiable, if you could see the whole picture, you would see what led up to the ban.

Just yesterday, I had a member whose post was deleted for two violations of the TOU in a single post. Even though what he did was specifically spelled out in the TOU, he decided to whine about how he didn't agree with the rules. It's about as intelligent as getting pulled for speeding with a speed limit sign right in front of you, but then trying to tell the officer that you don't agree with the speed limit, and thus, you should not have gotten pulled over in the first place. I told him that the rules are the rules, and the post will remain deleted, to which he decided to revert to ad hominem as his response. He was not banned, but it just goes to show that some members are polite and sociable when posting with their buddies around, but can be childish, egocentric, and crude when they get caught doing something that they're not supposed to do.

Also, believe it or not, some people actually lie when it comes to their ego being hurt, opposed to accepting the truth of the matter, staying humble, and learning from the interaction.

We have plenty of members who have been here for 10+ years without a single violation of the TOU, let alone being banned.

I bet there are more wet shavers in India than the rest of the world combined. They are the real wet shaving market. Cartridge and electric razors never caught on there. It may well be that there would be no DE blades produced today if it weren’t for India, and we might owe our hobby to them entirely.

I highly doubt that. I can't think of a single member since you've joined that has been banned unjustifiably. Heck, I can't think of a single member that has been banned since I've been a Mod (since 2017) that did not have it coming. On the contrary, many members that get banned are given multiple warnings and more opportunities than they should to comply with our Terms of Use. Mods have stated a number of times throughout the forum that we don't like to air dirty laundry, and generally remove posts that are in violation of the TOU. So, while it might seem like whoever's ban might have been unjustifiable, if you could see the whole picture, you would see what led up to the ban.

Just yesterday, I had a member whose post was deleted for two violations of the TOU in a single post. Even though what he did was specifically spelled out in the TOU, he decided to whine about how he didn't agree with the rules. It's about as intelligent as getting pulled for speeding with a speed limit sign right in front of you, but then trying to tell the officer that you don't agree with the speed limit, and thus, you should not have gotten pulled over in the first place. I told him that the rules are the rules, and the post will remain deleted, to which he decided to revert to ad hominem as his response. He was not banned, but it just goes to show that some members are polite and sociable when posting with their buddies around, but can be childish, egocentric, and crude when they get caught doing something that they're not supposed to do.

Also, believe it or not, some people actually lie when it comes to their ego being hurt, opposed to accepting the truth of the matter, staying humble, and learning from the interaction.

We have plenty of members who have been here for 10+ years without a single violation of the TOU, let alone being banned.
Here's an example: The guy who started the "absolute awe of G5A" and the first Omnibus thread asked why mentioning PPA wasn't allowed in certain threads. The reason he was given was because PAA advertised average products as more than average. When he responded with something akin to "many people consider Proraso and Arko average, so why aren't they similarly censored" he was banned.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Here's an example: The guy who started the "absolute awe of G5A" and the first Omnibus thread asked why mentioning PPA wasn't allowed in certain threads. The reason he was given was because PAA advertised average products as more than average. When he responded with something akin to "many people consider Proraso and Arko average, so why aren't they similarly censored" he was banned.

Once again, we do not discuss member's infractions publicly. Also, once again, you're not seeing the entirety of the situation. It will be left at that.

Haha! This is exactly my point! That said, I might consider a smegma base if it lathers better than beef tallow.

Once again, we do not discuss member's infractions publicly. Also, once again, you're not seeing the entirety of the situation. It will be left at that.
Okay guys, I now feel kinda bad for starting this thread. @Claudel Xerxes is right. I did not mean to impugn (or tee up for impugning) any of our members, and I did not mean to be nasty (okay, maybe a little). Honestly, the spirit of my original post was aimed at celebrating how special B&B is compared to the other options out there in the inter-tubes. That is all, and peace be with you my brothers.

Top Bottom