What's new

Recommend a synthetic?

I am really curious about the new generation synthetics and would like to add one to my arsenal. This would become my travel brush and maybe one of my non-travel brushes if I really like it.

I face lather exclusively. Rather than trying to describe my preferences re loft, backbone, size, floppy, etc., let me just ask -- which one comes closest in feel and performance to the Omega Pro 49 (one of my all time favorites)?

Thanks!

None of them will feel like Omega boar. They are kinda different, but not in a bad way. The synthetics are definitely more efficient. You can try out the Omega S-brush. They tried to imitate the boar feel, by making the loft a bit stiffer. I don't think that they achieved, but they managed to create a good brush, nevertheless.

None of them will feel like Omega boar. They are kinda different, but not in a bad way. The synthetics are definitely more efficient. You can try out the Omega S-brush. They tried to imitate the boar feel, by making the loft a bit stiffer. I don't think that they achieved, but they managed to create a good brush, nevertheless.

Well, shoot, I hate to hear that.

If I can't get a Pro 49 imitator, I'll have to figure out which specific qualities I want to hone in on. It's kind of hard to describe, since there is a lot of subjectivity. For example, I like the Pro 49 a lot better than the Semogue Owner's Club. The SOC has too much splay for my taste, but there is something else going on that I can't really put my finger on.

Honestly, just grab a synthetic, like S-brush, Plissoft, Stirling synthetic, or anything on these lines, and try it out. They are just too cheap to over-think it. You will definitely get a great brush for traveling, and you might even be sold to the general qualities of these brushes. It's hard to tell, as it's something different that natural hair brushes. You just need to try one out and see where you stand.

I have been blown away when I got my first Plisson. And I had the same thoughts. Oh, it won't have the backbone, it will be floppy. But I find it just great, and I don't feel the need of backbone anymore. Just the fact that I load any kind of soap much faster, I don't have to soak it, to wait for the brush to dry, it does not break-in, it does not have any odd smell, all these qualities add up to the point that I find it the best brush I have ever used. That does not mean that I don't enjoy my boar or badger brushes. I like those too. But when I'm in a hurry, grabbing the Plisson and having a quick shave is just great.

Never found a synthetic brush that had a similar face feel to any of my boar brushes. I face lather exclusively and would look for a synthetic brush that had a loft to size ratio of about 2 to 1 if it were me.

Bob

RazoRock Plisoft MONSTER.
$IMG_9740.jpg
Cant go WRONG with this One. I LOVE IT. $10.00 + shipping

Those are all good thoughts -- thanks. I will try to figure out which ones are preferred by face latherers and make a pick (and am open to specific suggestions).

My current "travel" brush is an old generation Omega synthetic. It lathers with effort, and does not splay enough. But I manage to do a decent job with it. Sometimes I think that if I can face lather with it I could probably face lather with a toothbrush. The new generation synths must be a lot better.

I don't think any of the synthetics really come close to the feel of a boar, but one of the things that I like about them is that they have their own characteristics. I've used the Maggard's quite a bit, and it lathers more easily than any other brush I have. Very soft and great for face lathering. The prices on most synthetics are so low that it's worth picking up at least to to compare.

You can't afford not to try one. Razorock Plissoft is the one I've been using most lately and no kidding, the lather I get from it is better that any of my badger or boar brushes. I face lather pretty much exclusively. A synthetic won't feel like a boar brush. Probably closer to badger but not exactly that either. Works great though.

As mentioned enough already, you won't find a boar like brush. But as for suggestions, I'm going to highly recommend the EJ?Muhle knots everytime!

I am strictly a face lather.

I have a Maggard's 24mm and a Stirling Kong (26mm I believe). They are very similar in feel to a badger but both lather much, much better than any badger I own. And both feel superior (to me anyway) in softness to a badger. I own a lot of brushes now, including an old, first generation Omega synth. I would not even make the comparison of the new synths to the old.. it's night and day better.

They are simply a joy to use each morning. I'm thinking I may need a 3rd synth (I usually rotate 3 brushes, and now one of my 3 is a badger. I like it fine. But I love the Maggards and the Kong).

A boar brush takes up just as much space as a badger....at least the ones I've used, lol....if you're curious about synthetic, that cool, but designating a synthetic as the travel brush? Why sell yourself short on the go? I just assume use a boar or badger lol....the only synthetic bristle brush I have in my arsenal is a toothbrush....lol--- but if I had to recommend a synthetic, it would be this one...I hope you take me as tongue in cheek, it's not often I get to make a funny....lol--- The way I see it, if I don't feel guilty eating a hotdog or a burger, I won't feel guilty using a boar brush and a leather strop for a straight, lol--- I've never used a synthetic but I can be sure the brush would handle not as good as my worst boar...
$image.jpeg

Last edited:
Good point. I like my L'Occitane Plisson Cade. Sublime.

Top Bottom