What's new

Razorock Vs. The Best of the Best?

I'd like some recommendations from other members on the RazoRock soaps.

I use Cella and have done so almost exclusively for over a dozen years. I'm not really looking for a "change," as Cella is quite to my liking. That said, I'm thinking it would be fun to have a hard soap experience in the mix.

Assuming the RR soaps yield similar results (and correct me if that is a mistaken assumption), and differences come down to fragrance, then my preference is for mild and "natural" feeling ones.

Things like menthol-eucalyptus or strong peppermint, or strong cologne smells (which are popular with many) are not for me.

The pleasant (but understated) almond/cherry fragrance works for me. I could see using/enjoying a mild citrus scented soap (lemon or perhaps bitter orange, but not a strong lime), or something herbal, or other simple and mild scent. I could live with unscented, and would choose unscented over a fragrance-bomb anytime. But I do enjoy the mild scent of Cella.

Are there any of the RR soaps that seem like a natural fit for my preferences?

Or ones to avoid?

What about the XXX soap? Is it very intense, or pleasantly mild?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

If you want to try their hard soaps, you can get all of them very cheaply. Just pick one of their cheap variety packs. Their "What the Puck" soaps are Triple milled. Their other soaps are croaps and are easy to lather in a bowl.

For clean scents in their croaps I would recommend their XXX, Blue Barbershop, and Aqua.

Here is a list of their soaps, the triple milled are on page two: Creams & Soaps – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/creams-soaps/razorock?page=1

Their shave sticks are good as well.

I use Cella and have done so almost exclusively for over a dozen years. I'm not really looking for a "change," as Cella is quite to my liking. That said, I'm thinking it would be fun to have a hard soap experience in the mix.

Assuming the RR soaps yield similar results (and correct me if that is a mistaken assumption), and differences come down to fragrance, then my preference is for mild and "natural" feeling ones.

Things like menthol-eucalyptus or strong peppermint, or strong cologne smells (which are popular with many) are not for me.

The pleasant (but understated) almond/cherry fragrance works for me. I could see using/enjoying a mild citrus scented soap (lemon or perhaps bitter orange, but not a strong lime), or something herbal, or other simple and mild scent. I could live with unscented, and would choose unscented over a fragrance-bomb anytime. But I do enjoy the mild scent of Cella.

Or ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Razorocks What the Puck gold label is the hard version of XXX.
One of my favorite scents

They also now have a red label that I believe is scented like cella.
Haven't tried it.

The Blue label is the same scent as there Blue Barbershop croap.
Another nice clean simple smell.

I also agree that Razorock soaps compete very well with other more expensive soaps. I have used B&M, Chiseled Face, MWF, ARKO!, Stirling, and MacDuffs to compare. Now I do tend to prefer a lighter scent in soap.

Jay

Can someone who's used both Razorock (current generation tallow base) and B&M, WK, A&E, DG, PAA, etc. tell me how Razorock compares to the current "state of art" in shaving soaps? I want to try a few of their scents as long as the performance is there. If the current state of art brands are a 9-10 on a 1-10 scale, where is Razorock on this scale in your opinion in lather, scent, protection/glide and after-shave feel?
Actually if you are just looking at triple milled shaving soap pucks from Razorock then all we have are those from the What-the-Puck (WTP) line. While these do not have tallow many of us have found them to deliver excellent shaving performance at a great value price of around $3-$4 each.

@Spy Car you should definitely give these WTP soaps a try. Note that they are not rock hard like Williams of Mitchell's Wool Fat so I've been able to mold the pucks (trim circumference and press trimmings onto top of remaining puck) to fit in my apothecary mug for easy lathering. They are also available as shaving sticks.

So far I've enjoyed the WTP Blue (Blue Floid scent) and Black (Fougere) scents. There is a newer WTP red now with an almond scent I've yet to try. Soap base is the same for all except for Gold that has activated charcoal.

You may also want to look at Connaught Shaving in the U.K. to try the Cyril R. Salter 100 gram tallow based shaving soap (same base as D.R. Harris) for 4.50 British Pounds (GBP) landed in the U.S. They also have D.R. Harris itself for 9 GBP landed that is also tallow-based. They've some tallow-based Tabac shaving sticks as well as plenty of the non-tallow version in stick and puck form. I've found the latter to work well for me. Shipping to the U.S. is free if you order at least 60 GBP of product.

Finally the best value tallow based shaving soap is Arko for around $2 per shaving stick. I enjoy it though you will need to decide if the scent will be consistent with your tastes. Note that it can be molded into an open mug where the scent becomes much milder over a few days.

Took a quick glance at the current non-puck Razorock soaps on Italian Barber and most of these are non-tallow stearic acid/coconut oil based. Copy for many of these ("softer soap" , "Softer Italian style soap") indicates that they are softer croaps as noted by fellow B&Bers above who have used some of them. The few that have tallow, such as P160 and XXX are still primarily stearic acid/coconut oil based with tallow acid way down on the ingredients list even though Italian Barber will claim that they are "tallow based" in the web site copy. Based on my experience with WTP and new formula Tabac tallow is not necessary for an excellent shaving soap. Reviews from others above will provide good guidance on specific Razorock soaps.

P.S. Edit, A Connaught order also provides an opportunity to try LEA and Cyril R. Salter shaving creams at great prices. I've some of both and enjoy using them.

Last edited:

Or ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Plague doctor.

@Brian H Shaves @Jayson74 @Lane101 @Alex Jr

Thank you for all the information gentlemen. I will definitely add some RazoRock WTP triple milled soap to my next order from the Italian Barber. Red (almond) would be a very safe choice fragrance-wise, given my proclivities to Cella, and I'm also intrigued by the Gold (Italian Citrus/XXX). I've been wet shaving for far too long long to have a hard soap experience.

I'd have preferred that these were tallow-based (lanolin is a plus), but it certainly isn't disqualifying.

@Lane101, thank you for the details on the WTP soaps and for the other options. I will study the tallow-based alternatives you have suggested. I could stand to branch out a wee bit. LOL. When I like something ( a lot) I tend to stick with it, as with Cella for the last dozen years. But I'm up for making some new discoveries. Appreciate the recommendations!

Many times over the years I thought trying Mitchell's Wool Fat would be my "next move," but it seemed each time I happened to contempted making an order, that there was some issue with supply. And now they have re-formulated.

@Jayson74 Good to know that you enjoy the Gold version, while preferring lighter scented soaps. Italian citrus sound good to me.

@Brian H Shaves Thank you for clearing up my misimpression that some of their offerings, such as XXX, are not hard soaps but rather "croaps." I obviously have nothing against croaps, LOL, as I use one every day. I'm just desirous of a new challenge. You advice was very helpful.

Thanks again everyone.

Bill

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The amount of soaps I have used from Razorock (AKA =Italian barber) have been a lot and ones that I enjoy very much are still being sold are :
XXX nice scent with excellent lather qualities. On 3rd tub and a large glass one in storage when this one runs out. After shave is matched close to the soap and is a winner IMO. They also have a XXX cologne also in small volumes and scent lasts longer + excellent XXX clean scent.
The Dead Sea, now that is a unique scent that is addictive and very appealing with excellent lather qualities. On 2nd large glass tub. Splash is very close match and very enjoyable to wear.
Santa Maria del Fiore, nice scented soap with vanilla and light tobacco , with some of the best lather qualities. On 2nd large glass tub. I enjoy the Soap scent more than the aftershave scent for some reason.
XXX Fresco, nice XXX clean scent with some menthol but not over the top, great for days when it's hot and just want a nice scented soap , aftershave is great combination and similar scented.

Worth mentioning also was Razorock Lavender(obsolete) this soap took a few shaves to get use to but it is one of the most enjoyable scented soaps I have used (masculine scent) , the lather qualities are outstanding and very seldom do I get a weeper from Lavender soaps it seems. Lavender is know to relax people and it seems to have similar relaxing characteristics for myself.
If I knew RR Lavender soap was going to be discontinued I would of bought another 6 tubs for the freezer for future use, on my 3rd tub and I will miss that soap when it is finally used up. I will find a alternative Lavender soap (Mr Mikes Hungarian Lavender possibly).

Razorock has great sales and I will stock up sometimes trying a different soap or when I'm buying a RR razor and their soaps are priced right + good quality & also made by Italian artisans who have been making soaps for generations!
Spend over $60US and shipping is free also. Never had a bad deal with RR and their customer service are a helpful bunch to deal with when needed IMO. I send them a Email sometimes when asking a question about a product and they usually send back a response quickly.
One thing also to mention is after 6 years of using RR soaps my brushes don't get gummed up and clean up is ideal also. Some other brands of soaps are high in different oils and it is not always the best for me and my gear I find.

Finally the best value tallow based shaving soap is Arko for around $2 per shaving stick. I enjoy it though you will need to decide if the scent will be consistent with your tastes. Note that it can be molded into an open mug where the scent becomes much milder over a few days.
Another question for you: When you mold the Arko stick into a mug, do you leave it permanently uncovered?

I wonder if that would keep away the mosquitoes? 😊

Bill

They’re ok, average at best soaps when compared to top tier soaps. Definitely could be used daily for me, unlike the creams in similar price ranges. Worth picking up their unique offerings (scent wise) as they actually have some very good ones. But no, they are not comparable really to anything from a top tier artisan.

Another question for you: When you mold the Arko stick into a mug, do you leave it permanently uncovered?

I wonder if that would keep away the mosquitoes? 😊

Bill
I do since I use it at least every few days. If used less frequently you should cover it (a day after use to allow it to dry out) to prevent excessive dust buildup.

No mosquitoes in our bathroom😊 Unclear if this is due to the open Arko.

I do since I use it at least every few days. If used less frequently you should cover it (a day after use to allow it to dry out) to prevent excessive dust buildup.

No mosquitoes in our bathroom😊 Unclear if this is due to the open Arko.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

Bill

@Spy Car Two non RR suggestions. If you're looking for simple scents and are willing to try another soap that isn't a hard puck then take a look at Mike's Naturals. Great performance and scents with most being completely natural. They're harder pucks than the RR and better performance for me.

Also for another hard puck maybe try the Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme. I have not tried that scent, but the No 63 works very well for me and is a great value. The 63 scent is well loved, but isn't simple by any means.

@Spy Car Two non RR suggestions. If you're looking for simple scents and are willing to try another soap that isn't a hard puck then take a look at Mike's Naturals. Great performance and scents with most being completely natural. They're harder pucks than the RR and better performance for me.

Also for another hard puck maybe try the Pre de Provence Bergamot and Thyme. I have not tried that scent, but the No 63 works very well for me and is a great value. The 63 scent is well loved, but isn't simple by any means.

Thanks for that recommendation of Mike's Naturals @borwish. The ingredient lists look right up my alley. Many of his offering are currently out of stock at the moment (due to being a one-man operation). But most interesting.

Bill

I am not up on the current crop of niche brands. I have been wetshaving for 15+ years and have probably tried nearly 50 or more soaps and creams. Full products, not just dinky samples. I have tried everything from very cheap $3 tubes of cream to soaps that cost $40-60+ to NOS vintage shaving soap from the 1940s!. Bear in mind these are old prices from years back. Now stuff is generally more expensive. But anyway...

It has been awhile since I have used any RR soaps and creams but I think I still have at least one jar of the veggie lavender soft soap. It was good stuff, IIRC, and performed well. Of the RR products I've tried, none failed to produce a good lather without too much work.

Now, if you look at the scents that RR sells you will see that many are cologne/edt type scents. Nothing wrong with that but I tend to prefer more basic/classic scents in soaps and creams. They do offer those too. A big factor might be how much you like the scents of the stuff they sell. Only way to know that is to try it.

The main differences IME between cheaper and more expensive soaps and creams are the scents and sometimes, the post-shave feel. With an experienced hand, and a good blade, I've found I can get a good shave out of any soap or cream that holds decent lather.

Way back in 2012 I did a thread that showed that some big name brands did not hold lather well at all and were not shaveworthy products. If you do a search you can probably find that thread.

I rarely buy soaps and creams anymore because I still have a lot to work through.

On a whim when I was on vacation I picked up a cheap plastic bowl of shaving soap from a drugstore. I'm not out to bash any brand but the scent is not my favorite. It's like drugstore cologne and Tide. Anyway it lathers up great, was very protective, and not too drying. There isn't a damn thing wrong with it.

However, if I told you I enjoy shaving with it as much as the more expensive stuff or my personal favorite inexpensive products I would be lying. Simple things like scent end up being a bit of a deal when you are going through the ritual of wetshaving.

I would like to try the razor rock triple milled soap. I’ve tried a couple tubs of the soft soap, but I tend to overload the brush and they don’t last that long.

Top Bottom