What's new

Rate MY shave, too

Thanks to @Stapelfeld for the inspiration. Unfortunately I won't be as easy on the eyes to look at ;)

This seems like a great way to improve. I have been shaving with a straight razor since 2020 now, but I bet I am still making a lot of mistakes. In fact, after reviewing the video, I am pretty sure I'm holding the blade at too high of an angle on my 3rd pass.

Little bit of corrections:

I say in the video that laying the blade flat on the hone is a 16 degree angle, but that's not correct. It's a 16 degree inclusive angle, so flat on the spine would be 8 degrees, one spine width would be 16, two would be 32, etc.

My strop is actually suede on the kangaroo leather side, and the other side loaded with compound is grain.

Also here's a better look at the razor and brush I was using, since I know my camera didn't focus on on them too well

full

My full progression with it was:
Atoma 140
Shapton Kuromaku 120
Shapton Kuromaku 2k
Shapton Kuromaku 5k
Shapton Kuromaku 8k
Naniwa Gouken 12k
Green Compound on grain leather
Plain suede kangaroo leather

Anyway here's the video

Thanks to @Stapelfeld for the inspiration. Unfortunately I won't be as easy on the eyes to look at ;)

This seems like a great way to improve. I have been shaving with a straight razor since 2020 now, but I bet I am still making a lot of mistakes. In fact, after reviewing the video, I am pretty sure I'm holding the blade at too high of an angle on my 3rd pass.

I say in the video that laying the blade flat on the hone is a 16 degree angle, but that's not correct. It's a 16 degree inclusive angle, so flat on the spine would be 8 degrees, one spine width would be 16, two would be 32, etc.

My strop is actually suede on the kangaroo leather side, and the other side loaded with compound is grain.

Also here's a better look at the razor and brush I was using, since I know my camera didn't focus on on them too well

full

Atoma 140
Shapton Kuromaku 120
Shapton Kuromaku 2k
Shapton Kuromaku 5k
Shapton Kuromaku 8k
Naniwa Gouken 12k

Anyway here's the video
Wow! Thank you for posting a video reply. I will be taking

full

Atoma 140
Shapton Kuromaku 120
Shapton Kuromaku 2k
Shapton Kuromaku 5k
Shapton Kuromaku 8k
Naniwa Gouken 12k

Anyway here's the video
a few pointers from your shave and try to implement it on my upcoming shaves. I really like that our home progression is very similar! Thank you again for this, it will help me a lot in my straight razor journey.

If I may, I suggest you try to stretch your skin while shaving.
Ah yeah, I was hoping someone would mention that. I have never really found a way to do it where the skin just doesn't slip our from under my finger tips. Someone once suggested to run my finger on an alum block to dry them but I stopped once I started using alum. So the only places I can really successfully stretch are on my side burns, and or doesn't seem to tighten the skin much except right near my ears.

Do you think pulling my head back is enough to stretch the skin on my neck?

Wow! Thank you for posting a video reply. I will be taking

a few pointers from your shave and try to implement it on my upcoming shaves. I really like that our home progression is very similar! Thank you again for this, it will help me a lot in my straight razor journey.

Thanks for the idea! It makes me think of athletes filming themselves to see where their techniques are off. Not to compare myself to an athlete 😂

Top Bottom