What's new

Ragg

I've seen two John and Wm Ragg razors for sale over the last few years. I'm in love. The first was purchased by a member and he was thinking of donating it to a museum. The latest is mint as well.

proxy.php

Are they especially rare? Are they particularly good quality?

I'm also lusting after a 6/8 smiling rattler grind. I'm thinking maybe half hollow. With these musk ox scales.

proxy.php

Or maybe rams horn.

proxy.php

The problem is... I've limited myself to $100 give or take a few, certainly less that $200. Am I dreaming?

I'd pay more if I knew it was exactly the cat's meow.
I have a 6/8 w&b that I love, a 7/8 is on the way. I have a Worsty 5/8 rattler that is my current #2 fav. They are all barber's notch. Is there a shoulderless rattler grind that's french point and smiling?
I'm leary of current production TI. Korat? My first pass through the build your own list was $300+. I do like vintage. Age has more character in my mind.

The problem is, the more I look, the more I buy. I think I'm up to 14 in rotation. The most expensive was a $75 steal.
Maybe thin the herd and go Korat. I'm not ready to part with my beauties yet though.

Oh well... the quest is half the fun.

Cheers

[MENTION=65407]clayglen[/MENTION] I don't know anything about these razors except that they look beautiful! I've been fighting a serious case or SRAD myself, I know your demons..... I'm thinning out my collection too. Since September I'm up to 25, I have several Norton combination stones on the way so I don't kill myself with honing expense. I too like the vintage razors, I don't own a single new razor. I'm selling off the hard to restore beauties that I don't want to sink a ton of money into.... Good luck on your quest my friend!

Matt

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
It is a process IMO. Many purchase quite a few and then tastes change or they become enamored with a more minimalist kit. I would offer a suggestion but I believe I would be a poor example. The fantastic thing to remember is that there is ALWAYS another razor out there to fall in love with and purchase. To those not afflicted it will sound strange but the ritual of the straight razor is a very personal romance. Many of us still experience parallel paths just the same.

I've seen two John and Wm Ragg razors for sale over the last few years. I'm in love. The first was purchased by a member and he was thinking of donating it to a museum. The latest is mint as well.

proxy.php

I'm also lusting after a 6/8 smiling rattler grind. I'm thinking maybe half hollow. With these musk ox scales.

proxy.php

Or maybe rams horn.

proxy.php

The problem is... I've limited myself to $100 give or take a few, certainly less that $200. Am I dreaming?

I have a 6/8 w&b that I love, a 7/8 is on the way. I have a Worsty 5/8 rattler that is my current #2 fav. They are all barber's notch. Is there a shoulderless rattler grind that's french point and smiling?
I'm leary of current production TI. Korat? My first pass through the build your own list was $300+. I do like vintage. Age has more character in my mind.

The problem is, the more I look, the more I buy. I think I'm up to 14 in rotation. The most expensive was a $75 steal.
Maybe thin the herd and go Korat. I'm not ready to part with my beauties yet though.

Cheers
If what motivates your lust is the look more than the brand, you could ask (politely) [MENTION=6128]Seraphim[/MENTION] to clone one of those for you. The Gold Dollars have enough steel to cut from that you can be pretty flexible on the blade shape. The cost of a modified GD is much lower than of a custom

If what motivates your lust is the look more than the brand, you could ask (politely) [MENTION=6128]Seraphim[/MENTION] to clone one of those for you. The Gold Dollars have enough steel to cut from that you can be pretty flexible on the blade shape. The cost of a modified GD is much lower than of a custom
Hmm, interesting option. Ty

I have one of the prototypes and Doc226 honed it up....shaves like a dream. These razors are prestine so you will pay very dearly for them such as the first one you posted which just fetched 215US plus shipping from France....it will need a total honing so we would be just shy of 300US if all sorted professionally a hefty sum but for those, like myself who like the rare, different, obscure etc we would gladly drop the $$$ ... but we also have limits and like a bargain....lol.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Or maybe rams horn.

proxy.php

Cheers

Patience is key here....every now and then you will find a deal....but when a razor, like a Koratt cost 4 to 600 plus euros new a great deal used is in the 250 to 300 US range...not to say someone cant score big and get one for less but ..... ahhhhhh patttience....hahaha

I've found a few Ragg razors listed lately, none that exite much RAD but they are out there.
Still looking for the art deco Le Grelot I passed on awhile back. I may have hit my limit on Sheffield steel for the moment... time will tell though. ;)

Top Bottom