What's new

question on fashion

I have never had much of a fashion sense always been a t-shirt and jeans guy. What I was wondering is, would brown shoes, brown, and a black shirt be acceptable?

TIA,
Travis

the general 'rule' is no brown and black, but I disregard it all the time, if you think its going to look good then go for it

G

gone down south

That's a risky combo, I wouldn't do it unless you had a woman prescreen the outfit for you.

I have never had much of a fashion sense always been a t-shirt and jeans guy. What I was wondering is, would brown shoes, brown, and a black shirt be acceptable?

TIA,
Travis

Brown what? Pants? You should be fine. Just match your belt to your shoes. I think brown and black together can be quite striking. Post pictures of what you were thinking and we can give you a better answer.

Brown shoes, brown belt (?) and black shirt, yeah go for it. Another option would be a white shirt.

As the post above said, match your shoes with your belt.

- Aaron

One rule I use for my own wardrobe is to be sure to match up brand-names. Pick any designer label, and fill your closet with it. You can pick out pants and shirts at random and be pretty assured they will go well together.

For example, you wouldn't want to wear a Tommy Hilfiger shirt with Calvin Klein pants and a Ralph Lauren Sweater ... it won't look right, even if you get the colors coordinated.

Either go with Tommy-Tommy-Tommy or Calvin-Calvin-Calvin or Ralph-Ralph-Ralph, and you should be OK.

One rule I use for my own wardrobe is to be sure to match up brand-names. Pick any designer label, and fill your closet with it. You can pick out pants and shirts at random and be pretty assured they will go well together.

For example, you wouldn't want to wear a Tommy Hilfiger shirt with Calvin Klein pants and a Ralph Lauren Sweater ... it won't look right, even if you get the colors coordinated.

Either go with Tommy-Tommy-Tommy or Calvin-Calvin-Calvin or Ralph-Ralph-Ralph, and you should be OK.

That's why I buy all of my clothes at Walmart - no need to worry about the brand names. :lol::lol:

That's why I buy all of my clothes at Walmart - no need to worry about the brand names. :lol::lol:

The rule even applies at Walmart ... brand names there, too.

Just because they're not designer labels, doesn't mean you can't match up Lee jeans with a Lee shirt and a Lee jacket.

Brown shoes, black shirt and brown what? If you were going to say belt, I'd say no problem. If you were going to say brown pants, then I would say BIG problem.

Have a woman whose opinion you trust give you an honest assessment before trying to pull it off. As a general rule, brown/black is a combo you want to avoid when it comes to pants & shirt.

the look I was going for is dark jeans, brown belt, brown boots, and a black button-up shirt with sleeves rolled(long sleeves bug me to no end for some reason).

Don your duds then ask your significant other (or best friend, sibling, roommate, neighbor, whoever is there) what they think. You'll find an "in person" critique of your gear will be much more helpful than the Internets.

But, if all you have is the internets, then match your belt with your shoes, iron your pants and shirt, and wear black socks.

brown and black i think looks good. use color schemes that work together. keep it to about 3 colors or so. not being racist, but black people use black and brown quite a bit to compliment their skin color. i use black clothing to compliment my hair and such. heh i took a few art classes. its about colors complimenting each other. if you think it looks good and works together, thats what it's about. :) its about pleasing the eye. another thing. also, this is me being more paticular though, I dont really like having the bottom half of my clothing being one color while the other half is different. brown shoes and pants with a black hat and shirt. I like to alternate the colors. thats just me though.

the look I was going for is dark jeans, brown belt, brown boots, and a black button-up shirt with sleeves rolled(long sleeves bug me to no end for some reason).

That'll look good. I have done this look many times. I think it's more of a going out at night look than a daytime one.

What's the event? Is black a requirement?

Dark blue jeans? I'd go for a different color than black. Navy? Gray? White? Black button ups are hard to look good in, IMO. (queue the George Clooney pictures!) Or maybe a gingham or check of some sort - like this or this.

A black shirt with brown pants can look great. People say don't do it, but I think it a good mix can look good.

Personally, I think that I lighter colored shirt would probably look better with brown pants. I like a lavender button-up shirt with brown pants and shoes myself.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Holy thread resurrection Batman. I like it when members use the search box. I agree with you @YHWH, I only own one belt and it’s black.

Top Bottom