What's new

Question about vintage aftershaves--toxicity?

I figured somebody in this vast repository of knowledge would know. So I have a couple of vintage scents--mainly a bottle of c. early 1980s Skin Bracer (the fire hydrant), and a late '80s set of English Leather bottles. Would scents like these from the time period contain the more harmful ingredients I've read about such as nitromusks?

I was actually being serious. 😛 But I get it. I know a lot of people will blow stuff like this out of proportion. I'm just curious for general safety.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am no expert but from what I understand many previously used perfumery ingredients were later deemed to be unsafe or an irritant, and have subsequently been banned. As a result it seems probable that some vintage scents will contain those ingredients. It is impossible to know which ingredients in currently produced scents, foods, or anything else will at some time in the future be deemed to be unsafe so I do not concern myself with such things. I regularly use shave soaps, aftershave, colognes, and talcum powder from the 1930s to the early 2000s and have to date suffered no ill effects, I am careful with the talc however for well documented but disputed reasons. I suggest that unnecessary worrying about such things may be more harmful than the things themselves, but if it bothers you then do not use them 👍

Totally true. I wasn't overly worrying about it just trying to nail down some facts. Plus have to remember, my Papa used the Skin Bracer his whole life and he died at almost 85 so. :p And on top of that I didn't think, in the US even in the 1980s there would have been a mass recall after a discovery like that and I never heard of any such.

There's the bottle I was originally referencing--although I've used it several times since and fared well with results.
20240520_192525.jpg

Top Bottom