What's new

Question About the Different Types of GEM 1912s

Hey guys,

I have just recently really gotten into collecting GEM razors and I would like some clarification on the different types of 1912s. I have a short, ornate handled 1912. Is that a travel model? I have seen a longer handled version as well. Are the ornate handled versions more valuable? Do they indicate an older vintage? I also have a Gem Junior, that is a gold GEM head on a thick black plastic handle. Is this also considered a 1912? Are there any other significant 1912 variations?

Finally, for anyone who has used the various types of 1912, do any of you have any preferences on which ones are the best shavers? Thanks in advance to this fine community for it's assistance.

Hey guys,

I have just recently really gotten into collecting GEM razors and I would like some clarification on the different types of 1912s. I have a short, ornate handled 1912. Is that a travel model? I have seen a longer handled version as well. Are the ornate handled versions more valuable? Do they indicate an older vintage? I also have a Gem Junior, that is a gold GEM head on a thick black plastic handle. Is this also considered a 1912? Are there any other significant 1912 variations?

Finally, for anyone who has used the various types of 1912, do any of you have any preferences on which ones are the best shavers? Thanks in advance to this fine community for it's assistance.

Short handle travel version-yes.

Ornate handles more valuable? Not really.

The fat black handle version is known as the Baton or the Parade, and yes it's a variation of the 1912. Same head, just a different handle. Some of the heads of that model say "Junior" some don't. That also goes for the standard metal handle models. Some say Junior, some just say GEM. The Junior name doesn't signify anything special, at least that's what I've read. ASR just put the word Junior on some and not on others. I have two 1912's with identical handles, one says Junior the other just GEM.

There is also a 1912 model with a thin black handle.

In my humble opinion the 1912 Damaskeene is the king of not only the 1912's, but all of razorland.

Top Bottom