What's new

Quest for one razor to rule them all journal

Well no scoring for the database this week. I’ve just been using the Parthenon and Karve E&F plates that have shown up. Next week I’m away for a few days so I’ll be using my Wolfman Guerrilla on the road as I usually do. So it will be a little bit until I resume scoring my vintage razors. But I can say the razors have been proving great bang for the buck.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quest is back on after a couple of free weeks with travel and new plates for razors. This week is the Gillette Contractor Tech. I have dismissed this razor in the past due to it’s construction and handle more than anything but that’s why I’m doing the quest to use things I don’t normally or have judged unfairly. This razor does not disappoint. Lately I’ve been using more aggressive razors that mow down my trouble spots but I’m reminded by this gem that sometimes a mild razor with a good blade and some buffing will get you there with no irritation and no weepers and you can have a carefree shave. So the Contractor Tech comes in with a 20/25 shave score for its first use so better than a lot of more aggressive razors, if the first shave is an indication of what’s to come this week should be a good one.
proxy.php

So the Techs seem to be edging out the Old Types . . . interesting. May I ask, is that small brush in the last photo an Ever Ready?

The brush is an Ever-ready 100, I took out the old knot, widened it out and put a 22 mm Maggard synthetic knot in

Mid week update, I've come to the conclusion after using these 2 Tech's recently that I had dismissed them prematurely due to the fact they are mild, these things are so smooth that I can buff more than other razors and get to the same result of more aggressive razors without weepers or irritation being a concern at 0530. I am going to not follow the instructions in the contractor Tech to use Gillette blades only and try a feather blade tomorrow and see how it works out

Well I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the week with the Gillette Contractor Tech. It’s nice to revisit some of the razors I’ve had for awhile and kind of dismissed. I think I fell into the trap that a lot of people do in shaving start looking for the closest shave they can get and move towards more aggressive razors. Two things I’ve learned 1) I need 3 passes in different directions to get all my hairs to end up with a close shave 2) “Aggressive” razors may require less buffing, but can cause weepers and razor burn. This Tech is smooth, comfortable, and safe all attributes I value at 0530. I got an average of 19.29 from this a Tech which moves it into third place overall, next I will be venturing into a bunch of TTO razors.

proxy.php

So an update as I’ve been busy with family and work travel and for some reason I was having problems posting pictures, I love technology. The next week was a made in England Rocket
proxy.php

Gillette 40’s Rocket
Wow I’ll just cut to the chase, being a daily shaver I’m looking for a close, smooth comfortable shave and the Rocket delivers. I did notice more comfortable shaves with a Gillette Silver Blue blades more than the Feathers. I’ll admit that these “mild” razors I’ve ignored but this razor had an average of 19.86/25 which puts it in first place overall in my books so far. The quest is taking this week off, I threw off this week by not shaving Sunday (I was mortified) but it happens. Next week will be an Aristocrat Jr. I expect similar results to the Rocket, I’m pretty sure it’s the same razor with gold plating
proxy.php

Wow. This is a very interesting development for me. I hate to be a nag, but when you get a chance, could you post the whole list and their scores again? Thanks!

Rank Razor Avg Overall Weight
1 Gillette Rocket 19.85714 139 71
2 Gillette Tech Can Khaki 19.57143 137 40
3 Gillette Old 19.42857 136 50
4 Gillette Tech Contractor 19.28571 135 27
5 Gillette New Improved 19.14286 134 75
6 Gillette Goodwill 18.42857 129 51
7 Gilette Senator 18 126 52
8 Gillette Single Ring 17.71429 124 51
9 Gillette New Long Comb 17.57143 123 51
10 Gillette New Short Comb 17.14286 120 53
So a little update to the rankings, and I also have to go to the post office and pick up a REX Ambassador so the next vintage Gillette may wait a week more than planned

Well although not actively shaving and rating for the quest I may have found something this week that although it will be out of chronological order as I’ve sort of been going I’m expecting a TTO open comb Aristocrat this week so the Aristocrat jr will be pushed another week. I have been enjoying the REX though but that will be rated later.
proxy.php

Back at it
So something new to my collection that has been on my list to add to the collection. The 30’s Aristocrat OC TTO. This is a beautiful razor, the blade feel is there if that’s something you’re looking for. The first shave was amazing and close. I did get a couple of minor weepers. This takes off hair like the best of my razors although not super smooth, I like this razor. I don’t think this razor is going to be in the contention for the number one spot on the list as I have a bias for smooth and comfortable being a daily shaver, but if you take your time and pay attention this is a winner. It did deliver an amazingly close shave and scored a 20/25
proxy.php

1930’s Aristocrat week has ended and what a week it was. This razor was amazing. It shaves close and requires a light touch. It can be weeper inducing with a Feather blade, it delivered the best shaves for me with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I think Gillette was on to something with this first generation of TTOs. The final score ties it with the Contractor Tech at 19.29/25. I think I would recommend the Tech as they are easier to find and a safer shave, but if you maintain a light touch this razor delivers amazing shaves.
proxy.php

It’s been a great week as far as shaving goes. On the road and brought a few razors and a couple of brushes and a few soaps so I could continue the quest. This week was the Aristocrat Jr and as expected it shaved similar (actually identical) to the Rocket. So we have a tie for first place with the Rocket. One interesting thing is I notice that most vintage razors produce better scores with Silver Blue blades vs Feather blades for me. Well next up will be a late 40’s Aristocrat.
proxy.php

You need to comment more your brushes. You have a nice collection. Do you mind making a picture of all of them?

Keeping us in suspense on the Rex rating huh?!

Well to be honest I started the quest because all the vintage razors I started with were collecting dust due to the fact I was primarily using the shiny modern ones and I wanted to see if the modern ones were truly better by coming up with a rating system with fairly objective measures of performance.
P.S. the REX is an amazing razor, I love it subjectivity it blows my Gillette adjustables out of the water, but that’s my opinion without a rating. [emoji847]

Well despite being on the road and dealing with horrible WiFi the quest continues. The ?46/47 Aristocrat week was amazing. I don’t know how it works, smooth, comfortable, and most importantly it takes off hair and takes care of my trouble spot. I have razors that shave closer but they run the risk of nicks and weepers but this razor can do no wrong. With an average score of 20.57/25 the Aristocrat reigns supreme at the top of the list as my new number one. This razor just works for me. Interestingly this is the first of the vintage Gillette razors on the quest that it’s scores didn’t suffer from using a Feather.
proxy.php

Up next is the non-flare Super Speed

After being away for work and taking some summer vacation with my family the quest has been a bit neglected. So I’ll do a quick update. I’ve gone through the non-flare super speed and the red tip. I must say I was a little confused by the scores but that’s why I’m doing this to try a objectivity find what works best for me. Before the quest I would have ranked the Old and Red Tip as some of my favorite razors but they are 5th and 10th. Don’t get me wrong I don’t hate any of these razors it just appears some are smoother than others and some are more suited to daily shave with.
proxy.php

Top Bottom