What's new

Query regarding the Lambda razors…

Hey guys…I stay in India. If I were to order a Lambda razor here, I think I would face a lot of hassle regarding Custom duty.

My query to you fine gentlemen is that if I have an option of getting it shipped to the US or UK (both at one of my friends’ addresses so that they can bring it to me on their India visit), which should I prefer?

How much custom duty are you guys subjected to other than the normal Razor and shipping? Kindly guide as per your own experience in the US and UK respectively…?Any other charges on top of that? I think UK has a VAT of 24%. Should be on top of the price and shipping?

Basically just want to see where the end cost of the razor is lesser, the US or UK?

UK is almost certain to apply import duties and every courier has a different process to handle it, which can get complicated. Unless it’s shipped by a big global courier like DHL or Fedex the shipment gets handed over to UK Parcelforce for delivery and they send a physical letter to the address with the import charges and the reference number you need to pay it online. It would be a pain if you aren’t there to deal with it and the import charges are not cheap.

As far as I’m aware from what American members comment the US rarely applies import duties to incoming shipments so I suspect your chances of a smooth delivery are greater there.

UK is almost certain to apply import duties and every courier has a different process to handle it, which can get complicated. Unless it’s shipped by a big global courier like DHL or Fedex the shipment gets handed over to UK Parcelforce for delivery and they send a physical letter to the address with the import charges and the reference number you need to pay it online. It would be a pain if you aren’t there to deal with it and the import charges are not cheap.

As far as I’m aware from what American members comment the US rarely applies import duties to incoming shipments so I suspect your chances of a smooth delivery are greater there.
Thanks so much for clarifying sir…! So I guess UK is out of the picture…👍🏻
I guess you are in the UK and so you did pay all the above import charges?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've had two Athenas delivered to the States from Theo with no issues.... no import duties. You do need to sign for it, however. Theo shipped both razors: "No Signature Required" but the USPS still required a signature. Both Turkish Post (Rocnel) and Greek Post require signatures, for some reason. With my Blutt from Switzerland, the postal delivery person was able to put it in my locked mailbox.

I've had two Athenas delivered to the States from Theo with no issues.... no import duties. You do need to sign for it, however. Theo shipped both razors: "No Signature Required" but the USPS still required a signature. Both Turkish Post (Rocnel) and Greek Post require signatures, for some reason. With my Blutt from Switzerland, the postal delivery person was able to put it in my locked mailbox.
That’s really encouraging and may solve my issue. So basically your landing cost was just the razor price and shipping ? Does Theo undervalue the parcel like many vendors by default or were there no import duties charged despite the full value of the razor marked on it? Apologies for the new query but your responses are certainly helpful…

Would be lovely if a few Lambda owners from the US could please state if their package was undervalued by Theo and if any import duties were charged?

Also any specific instructions given to Theo regarding this issue?

Thanks so much guys…🙏🏻😊

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
1. I don't think Theo tried to do anything underhanded. I didn't look at the paperwork that came with the packaging... It's just that the US doesn't charge import duties unless the package is over a certain dollar limit and razors don't reach that level.

2. I've brought along razors in checked luggage on several international flights over the last year or so... No issues. They don't confiscate what you have in checked luggage. I also check a folding pocket knife. I'm never without one... after we land, that is. You can't bring that stuff in carry-on luggage, that's all.

1. I don't think Theo tried to do anything underhanded. I didn't look at the paperwork that came with the packaging... It's just that the US doesn't charge import duties unless the package is over a certain dollar limit and razors don't reach that level.

2. I've brought along razors in checked luggage on several international flights over the last year or so... No issues. They don't confiscate what you have in checked luggage. I also check a folding pocket knife. I'm never without one... after we land, that is. You can't bring that stuff in carry-on luggage, that's all.
Ohh yes, checked in luggage is no issue. Have myself done it multiple times. Its just the import duty on parcels I was worried about. Quite high here in India. Amazing that the US doesn’t charge duty on 200€ plus amounts. Lovely part of the world you stay in…👍🏻😊
Now if just a few others from the US report no duty on their package, I would be sorted…👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🙏🏻
Thanks so much for taking out the time to respond man…🙏🏻💐

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll give you a short list of razors I've purchased with no issues from US customs.

1. Blutt BR-1
2. Rocnel Elite
3. Wolfman WR2 (the most expensive... because I also bought two stands and two handles... it was almost $1000 USD.. no issues)
4. The two aforementioned Athenas
5. The Atelier Durdan La Faulx will be delivered today or tomorrow, I think... It cleared US customs in Miami yesterday.

I've also bought some fairly expensive Italian brushes from Spain and Portugal online shaving sites... no issues with them either.

I'll give you a short list of razors I've purchased with no issues from US customs.

1. Blutt BR-1
2. Rocnel Elite
3. Wolfman WR2 (the most expensive... because I also bought two stands and two handles... it was almost $1000 USD.. no issues)
5. The Atelier Durdan La Faulx will be delivered today or tomorrow, I think... It cleared US customs in Miami yesterday.

I've also bought some fairly expensive Italian brushes from Spain and Portugal online shaving sites... no issues with them either.
Maybe, it seems like a dream to me... in Europe:
From Switzerland you pay customs, from Türkiye you pay customs :c7:

1. Blutt BR-1
2. Rocnel Elite

That’s quite a list you got going there bro. For me, knowing my country’s regulations, all my razors like the Blackbird, Tatara Nodachi, Timeless, Lupo, GC etc etc have all been hand carried through friends. Hence my apprehensions here. But your list does bolster my confidence…👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hey guys…I stay in India. If I were to order a Lambda razor here, I think I would face a lot of hassle regarding Custom duty.

My query to you fine gentlemen is that if I have an option of getting it shipped to the US or UK (both at one of my friends’ addresses so that they can bring it to me on their India visit), which should I prefer?

How much custom duty are you guys subjected to other than the normal Razor and shipping? Kindly guide as per your own experience in the US and UK respectively…?Any other charges on top of that? I think UK has a VAT of 24%. Should be on top of the price and shipping?

Basically just want to see where the end cost of the razor is lesser, the US or UK?
did you ever get a reply from theo
i am sending him a msg also
thx, bob

If they agree to ship the razor to you with a lower value, then you will be fine, but if the customs decide to open your package and do some investigation and ask you to show them any payment documentation, then you're screwed. I've heard that some people even ship their packages to their friends or family members in other countries in order to avoid paying any VAT or taxes and then get those packages shipped as gifts and that way they just pay one more shipping.

I can understand if someone is going business and he buys stuff from other cointries to sell them, but for common folks who just want to get something, that's an extortion.

Top Bottom