What's new

Purchased My First Pipe

I decided to go to our local tobacco store yesterday after work and pick up my first pipe. They have a surprisingly large selection of pipes, a lot of them priced well, but I did see a good selection of Dunhill's and Savinelli's that caught my eye. I talked to the tobaccanist, who was a pipe and cigar smoker, so that made me feel much better. I ended up purchasing a "starter kit" if you will, that had the pipe, a pipe tool, a nice pouch, some cleaners and a small pamphlet inside. I purchased a house blend they refer to as the "fireside blend" which has a very pleasant vanilla sweet aroma to it. The pipe itself has "Czech" stamped on the shank, then a little shield logo with MT as well. I fired it up and got a surprisingly pleasant first smoke. Had a bit of wet tobacco left in the bowl after I was done, but overall I was happy with my first run. I've been lurking for a while (mostly posting in the DE Razor section here at B&B) but I'll be making my second home here in the Brown Leaf.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pipes. Every bit as addictive in its own way as wet shaving. Just like traditional shaving, it is a journey. Enjoy!

Welcome to the wonderful world of pipes. I am new as well (started one week ago), this new hobby is a ton of fun!!

By the way, make sure you try out a good old made in the USA Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe. Their dirt cheap (under $10), but many people absolutely love them!!

Thanks gents! I'm ready for my new adventure!

I plan on heading up to Washington, MO sometime to visit the corncob pipe plant/store sometime. I think Washington is about 3-4 hours from me, roughly.

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it! That little bit at the end is called the dauttle, it basically is the devil's share. Once you really open up to the wide world of different pipes and tobaccos you will just love it! Any plans on what pipes and tobaccos you would like to try next?

Our local tobacconist seems to be pretty on top of things, so I may see what he would suggest. Black Cavendish seems like something I would like to try, maybe a cherry or something like that. I'm an open book, so feel free to suggest types/brands to be on the lookout for. As far as pipes, I definitely want to try a churchwarden down the road and I would like to find a nice pipe from 1983 (birth year) to try as well. I imagine it's going to be like my DE/Wet Shaving in the fact that if I can find it locally and its reasonably priced, I want it haha

Our local tobacconist seems to be pretty on top of things, so I may see what he would suggest. Black Cavendish seems like something I would like to try, maybe a cherry or something like that. I'm an open book, so feel free to suggest types/brands to be on the lookout for. As far as pipes, I definitely want to try a churchwarden down the road and I would like to find a nice pipe from 1983 (birth year) to try as well. I imagine it's going to be like my DE/Wet Shaving in the fact that if I can find it locally and its reasonably priced, I want it haha

That is how I am too, I picked up a half ounce of a house blend that was all cherry, I really enjoyed it. I also really like English blends as well, not as good a room note but so very tasty.

I just got my first churchwarden and I love it, the smoke is so cool in it. If you are looking for one on a budget Mr. Brog is usually pretty cheap. There are so many different types and styles of pipes that there will be a few shapes you end up having as favourites, mine are Canadians and Bulldogs/Rhodies. If you feel like spending a little more at some point I would look at a Meer, either plain or epically carved, then you can watch the pipe change colour with handling and smoke.

If you find yourself not sure what to do both James and James will be sure to send you in the right direction, well and the rest of the BL for that matter.

Happy Smoking,

I noticed on my trip yesterday that they had about 2 dozen glass jars on the counter with the names on them, so I believe I may start at one end of that and work my way down haha that just seems fun. I've had a few recommend Captain Black as well.

Until recently, I never realized how many types of pipes there really are. I remembers the pipes some of my great uncles and elder men my grandpa knew, and they were either the smaller bowl straights or slants. So when I started reading about it, I was surprised to see that so many options existed. The Meer pipes really have my attention, so that may be something on the shortlist.

I greatly appreciate it! This website as a whole is one fine community.

If there were pipes in the family maybe you can see if you can talk to some relatives to pick up some estates, you can clean them up and smoke them, or sell them to a shop or on ebay. Estates are a great way to experiences more smoking because you have a pipe that is already broken in and ready to go!

Welcome. I'm new here as well. These guys in the BL are great. Im hoping to expand my collection in the near future.

Good luck. See you around.

Top Bottom