What's new

PTFE coated Gem blades

Does anyone else have the same experience with their SE and blade combo, as I do?

SE GEM PTFE blades are my favorites. They are now the only ones I use.

The only razor I use is the 1924 ER Shovel head with the long handle. Nice razor/blade combo. Works well for me.

When I shave, I shave face and head at the same time. I have coarse hair.

I usually get 3-4 shaves out of a blade. For me this is a weeks use of a blade. Blades are inexpensive.

Like someone said prior, the first shave is scrappy. It just is. Isn’t that the same for most SE blades? For me, the first shave is the closest shave I get.

The second and third shaves are the best shaves. Close and most comfortable.

I should probably stop after the third shave, but the fourth shave is that bad. It is not as close or as comfortable, as the second and third shaves. It is a good shave. Not the bed. After the fourth shave it is obvious to me that is the blades last shave. RIP.

With this blade I know the type and quality of shave I will get with each shave. I know closeness and comfort level.

With each shave I adjust my angle to get the closest and the most comfortable shave possible.

In my opinion the shovel head is an unofficial adjustable razor based on the shaving angle used.

Shovel head/GEM PTFE blade combo foreverrrrrr!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use Gem PTFE blades regularly and found that I like to use for the first couple of shaves with them in my milder ASR razors (lather catchers, Gem Push button Gem G bar) to take advantage of the sharpness of the new blade. I found when using a very sharp blade it can feel rougher with DE blades( Feather, Perma-sharp) and with a mild razor there is barley any blade exposure and a person can get some very smooth close shaves has been my experiences.

proxy.php

Least we forget :)

Mick

Old thread. I know.

Which vintage SE is this? A Micromatic? Never seen before.

How could one shave with a razor flat against the face? Wouldn’t you have to adjust downward some?

Ron R

Mick

Sorry I asked the same question in a prior thread.
Mick

Old thread. I know.

Which vintage SE is this? A Micromatic? Never seen before.

How could one shave with a razor flat against the face? Wouldn’t you have to adjust downward some?
It mimics a straight or Shavette razor but has safety bar and cap for operator protection. Star and Gem USA companies where the first manufacture of safety razors for everyone world wide but still incorporated the straight razor concept as shown below. I think they just cut a segment out of a straight razor when making proto types back in the 1880's!
(Old archived photo showing a Star bar #4 lather catcher with a wedge blade the first company to make on mass safety razors.)
Star bar 1.4.jpg

Have some great shaves!

It mimics a straight or Shavette razor but has safety bar and cap for operator protection. Star and Gem USA companies where the first manufacture of safety razors for everyone world wide but still incorporated the straight razor concept as shown below. I think they just cut a segment out of a straight razor when making proto types back in the 1880's!
(Old archived photo showing a Star bar #4 lather catcher with a wedge blade the first company to make on mass safety razors.)
View attachment 1788183
Have some great shaves!
Wow

An actual wedge blade.

I have that same handle on my 1912 GEM “Squat Head”.

Thank you for sharing this picture.

I use Gem PTFE blades regularly and found that I like to use for the first couple of shaves with them in my milder ASR razors (lather catchers, Gem Push button Gem G bar) to take advantage of the sharpness of the new blade. I found when using a very sharp blade it can feel rougher with DE blades( Feather, Perma-sharp) and with a mild razor there is barley any blade exposure and a person can get some very smooth close shaves has been my experiences.
Ron
I took your idea and ran with it. Thank you for the idea. I only use the PTFE blades.

With a new blade, the first three shaves are my 1912 ER. Nice comfortable shaves.

The fourth, fifth, and sometimes the sixth shaves are with my Shovel head. It is like shaving with a new blade again. Same results as above.

If I use just my 1912, I get 3-4 face and head shaves. If I use just my Shovel head I get 4-6 shaves, with the last 5-6 shaves not as comfortable. Depending on the length of my hair, mid shave I will change to a new blade.

Your way is my new routine. After a few years learning SE shaving, I am comfortable with my technique. This a a trial and error year for me. I am learning new techniques and routines to help me better enjoy my shaves.

I only own the two razors and only shave with SE’s.

Ron R

Ron
I took your idea and ran with it. Thank you for the idea. I only use the PTFE blades.

With a new blade, the first three shaves are my 1912 ER. Nice comfortable shaves.

The fourth, fifth, and sometimes the sixth shaves are with my Shovel head. It is like shaving with a new blade again. Same results as above.

If I use just my 1912, I get 3-4 face and head shaves. If I use just my Shovel head I get 4-6 shaves, with the last 5-6 shaves not as comfortable. Depending on the length of my hair, mid shave I will change to a new blade.

Your way is my new routine. After a few years learning SE shaving, I am comfortable with my technique. This a a trial and error year for me. I am learning new techniques and routines to help me better enjoy my shaves.

I only own the two razors and only shave with SE’s.
Sometimes I think out loud and write my experiences so maybe others might benefit. Glad blade procedure is working for you and myself!

Top Bottom