What's new

Proraso Green AS burns like fire

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I tried Proraso Green aftershave since it seems to be popular among wet shavers and WOW, it burns like fire on my face and keeps burning for a while. I like a little alcohol sting, but this is too much for me.

I shave with a GC DE razor (.84-P) and quality soaps (MWF, Haslinger, Cella) which provide good protection with Astra SP blades. Two pass shave is comfortable and not irritating or too close, ie; no weepers or redness.

Did I get an extra hot batch or am I just a wimp?

Could be a number of things including an allergic reaction. Green Proraso is my least burning AS.

On a side note, I don’t know why but MWF does something to my skin that makes all AS burn a lot more. I think it’s a PH thing, or I’m sensitive to something in the formula, and it’s not lanolin.

But all things “normal”, Proraso shouldn’t burn so much.

love my proraso green.
could you be sensitive to the menthol??

proraso green morris forndran filarmonica may 31 2021.jpg

What??! The Green is fairly mild on my face. I dunno, sir. Perhaps your skin reacted as such because you haven't ever applied it before. Hopefully you can get to where you enjoy Green. IMO, Green is one of the best aftershaves you can buy. And I ain't calling nobody a wimp around here.

As already mentioned, perhaps you're sensitive to menthol. As a test, if you have another alcohol based aftershave that lacks menthol, try that. And if you do not experience the same problems, then perhaps it is the menthol.

I tried Proraso Green aftershave since it seems to be popular among wet shavers and WOW, it burns like fire on my face and keeps burning for a while. I like a little alcohol sting, but this is too much for me.

I shave with a GC DE razor (.84-P) and quality soaps (MWF, Haslinger, Cella) which provide good protection with Astra SP blades. Two pass shave is comfortable and not irritating or too close, ie; no weepers or redness.

Did I get an extra hot batch or am I just a wimp?

Well you have two simple choices, get tough and enjoyed self torture. Option two is stop useing what is causing discomfort.

Whatever you do Don't buy Rasorock Essence of Lime. Battery acid would be gentler. Sounds like you're shaving to hard and removing skin cells.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Did I get an extra hot batch
That's possible, I often got wildly different levels of menthol in the very same aftershave (thinking more about Dapper Dan than Pororaso right now, though).

I had terrible razor burn few weeks ago, suspected the blade, the razor, everything but it was an allergic reaction to birch pollen, causing outbreak of a neurodermitis I could thankfully control quickly with histamine blockers and some cremes.

Nothing as drastic must be your casel. Alcohol and menthol are prime suspects, I would rather guess it is more alcohol content to blame, a lot of menthol should rather give you a super chilly effect.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's an interesting question, but I suspect it's ultimately the wrong one. My suspected correct question, "Should I ever use it again?"

And the answer is an obvious no. Given your shave description my guess would lean heavily toward an allergic reaction to an ingredient - almost always scent - that will not improve with use. But it's just another guess. The one thing I know for sure: it can't get you again if you keep it off your face.

Is there a reaction to the green soap/preshave (if you've used either), as there's menthol and eucalyptus in those. Personally I don't get much eucalyptus in the aftershave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I never had a bottle of Proraso green burn. I did not buy one in a while so chances are that it might be a new formula since I bought my last bottle(my bottle is different to the current production). The menthol is fairly mild and I do not have a burning sensation when I use it.

Having said that, as pointed out by other, an allergic reaction could be it.

The other thing that I can think of is that you usually use aftershave balms instead of aftershave lotions(or splash). They are a bit different if you are not used to it.

Pinaud lilac vegetal burns quite a bit for me. If I use it for a few days it’s ok. I don’t mind the burning.

In your case, if it wasn’t an experience that you want to repeat, discontinue using it.

Top Bottom