What's new

Proper use with Parker badger silvertip

Purchased this brush a little over a month ago and used it every day since it was delivered. Took me by surprise as the monster size of the brush. Just looking at this brush one can see that it a Cadillac in the wet shaving world. When lathering in a bowl lather seems to stay in the center of the knot and not much in the bowl no matter how long or how hard you build lather. I have tried all sizes of bowls with nearly the same results all the time. This works very good for face lathering however I prefer not to face lather and get the lather I need out of the bowl.
So the question is ...... Is this how this brush performs ? Any advice is welcomed.

Yes 4 hard soaps and one cream and the cream lathers best but you have to use an excessive amount to get about 1/3 the amount of lather in the bowl that I would get using a bore or synthetic brush.

I just purchased a Parker Silvertip...and found this old thread. It sounds normal (well, "normal" for the one response!) for the Silvertip to hold the most water and thus the most lather, vs letting it sit in the bowl. It seems like that is a good thing, given that you want the lather on the brush to get to your face instead of the bowl.

Given that I am a newbie to this site, and while not to wet shaving insofar as a cartridge razor is concerned, I am new to brush loading and lathering.

Am I wrong with my understanding on why a Silvertip would do what was described? Or should there be more lather in the bowl? I guess I don't know what is "normal" yet.

I shaved with a silvertip this morning, and one thing I notice is that my second lather is usually richer than my first. It may be that after building the lather in the bowl and then applying it, the brush sits in the bowl while I shave, allowing the lather to flow out of the brush? Maybe? But the second lather is the primo stuff, slick, thick and rich.

I agree I find that my second load is thicker than my first. Always thought it was because it had time to “settle”
I shaved with a silvertip this morning, and one thing I notice is that my second lather is usually richer than my first. It may be that after building the lather in the bowl and then applying it, the brush sits in the bowl while I shave, allowing the lather to flow out of the brush? Maybe? But the second lather is the primo stuff, slick, thick and rich.

I think lather gets better on my brush (or in the bowl) while doing a first pass with the razor. I’ve often noticed a more yogurt like consistency when the lather sits for a few minutes.

Top Bottom