What's new

Pronunciations

J

Jarmo P

Well, Stauff has it right dudes. There are always those that just want to add confusion, like that French thing, lol.

But as jpkunst already told:
Go here: http://www.tabac-original.de/zeitreise.php and listen to one of the German Tabac Original TV spots. ("TV spot" in German = Fernsehspot.)
In that link he gave there are little TV commercials from years 1960, 68, 69, 70 72, 76 and 1980 with audio so that there are now no disambiquity left how the Tabac brand should be pronounced.

How about Floid? (Sorry, I don't know how to put the Umlaut over the i)
Floyd?

By the way... How DO I put an umlaut over something?

German only has umlauts (literally "change sound") on a, o & u (ä, ö & ü). In French they have them on e & i as far as I remember (ë & ï) - from my dim and distant memory it means that you don't merge the vowel sounds - so Citroën the car maker is properly Sitro-en... Following that through Floïd should be Flo-eed (compare naïve)

The correct english name for the umlaut/dots above the vowel is diaeresis I think...

Hmmm....

Hopefully I never have to speak it.

German only has umlauts (literally "change sound") on a, o & u (ä, ö & ü). In French they have them on e & i as far as I remember (ë & ï) - from my dim and distant memory it means that you don't merge the vowel sounds - so Citroën the car maker is properly Sitro-en... Following that through Floïd should be Flo-eed (compare naïve)

The correct english name for the umlaut/dots above the vowel is diaeresis I think...

Too funny, thats how it is when your overseas traveling. Occasionally, you see some American, usually in cargo shorts, baseball cap and white tennis shoes trying to be understood as the volume goes up. Too funny

BTW, that would be "laisser rouler le bon temps"

Google translate is funny when you start taking letters from the end of that phrase.

laisser rouler le bon tem
let it run the right temperature

laisser rouler le bon te
let the smooth ride you

laisser rouler le bon
let it run good

laisser rouler le b
let it roll the b

laisser rouler le
let it roll on

I personally like the second translation. Sounds like a cigarette ad. :lol:

Last edited:
BTW, that would be "laisser rouler le bon temps"

Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulet - Let the good times roll.

Your interpretation may be correct when it comes to Parisian French...and I'm sure you are, but. But, here in Louisiana, they speak Cajun French which is a far cry from the French spoken in Europe. It's like the English we speak here in the States as compared to the proper English spoken in Great Britain.

The Brits stopped trying to correct us years ago.:mad2:

Top Bottom