What's new

Progressive Straight Razor Honing Clinic – 9 Part Video Series

Great, so that would rule out using an combostone and cut that.

I'll talk to Howard about the coticule rod.

The smaller stones you used was like 6x2 combo?, I'm thinking to buy one that I can take a long, but debating witch size on that, 4x2 looks like to small to hold, but 6x2 looks better, I guess.

Yes, I personally would not go with a combo for such a narrow stone because of strength issues and I think that Howard will tell you the same. The smaller combo stone that I used was a 6X2; it's a classic size for barber hones. I would not want to use a 4X2 because I like the extra length. If you want to save money I would recommend going narrower not shorter, but that is just my personal preference.

David

Nah, not trying to save money, If so I should stick with my hones :)
I was just sitting with an ruler to try to imagine the size, and thought 4" is to short, but 6" looks better.

I would guess 2" inch is narrow enough also, 1.5 will be to small, you still need to hold the thing..

From before I have blue 8x2.5 and coticule 8x2.5, so these smaller ones I want for the versatility(?) of them.

Nah, not trying to save money, If so I should stick with my hones :)
I was just sitting with an ruler to try to imagine the size, and thought 4" is to short, but 6" looks better.

I would guess 2" inch is narrow enough also, 1.5 will be to small, you still need to hold the thing..

From before I have blue 8x2.5 and coticule 8x2.5, so these smaller ones I want for the versatility(?) of them.

If you want another stone then by all means go for it; but I don't think that a smaller stone is going to be any more versatile than your bigger ones. I actually sold the 6X2 natural not too long ago not because it did not work great, but because it was not getting a whole lot of use compared to my 8X3 yellow and blue and my really narrow and long coticule. Everything that I could do on the 8X3 I could do on the 6X2 and vice versa; but the bigger stones are just a little quicker (the smaller stones are easier to hold in the hand and the bigger ones are easier to use on the bench) It is fun to have some variety though if you can easily afford it.

Yes, and an small stone I can put in the bathroom, and the long narrow I maybe can try to fix my warped dovo with.. well, try anyway :D
Since I've stopped purchasing computer equipment and other crazy stuff I think I can afford some hones from time to time. After this, the shaptons are on the list.. :D, but I guess that will take a bit longer time. (The prices are not the biggest issue, but shipping, taxes etc..)

Yes, and an small stone I can put in the bathroom, and the long narrow I maybe can try to fix my warped dovo with.. well, try anyway :D
Since I've stopped purchasing computer equipment and other crazy stuff I think I can afford some hones from time to time. After this, the shaptons are on the list.. :D, but I guess that will take a bit longer time. (The prices are not the biggest issue, but shipping, taxes etc..)

I have heard really good things about the Shaptons but have never used them myself. When I have some more disposable income then maybe I will get a set to play with.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Shaptons are a different breed. The best of the lot are the GlassStones. In general, I prefer Shaptons more for coarse stones than for fine, but I've always been of the school of thought that maintains that finer grit stones should be softer.

Shaptons are a different breed. The best of the lot are the GlassStones. In general, I prefer Shaptons more for coarse stones than for fine, but I've always been of the school of thought that maintains that finer grit stones should be softer.

FWIW Dave Martell, Master Japanese Knife Sharpener, prefers the Professional Series Stones over the GlassStones. Most people over at the SRP who use Shaptons seem to be using the GlassStones on their razors but I am not sure if they have been able to compare the two series on many razors/knives as Dave has done. The GlassStones are much cheaper than the Professionals so that could be reason enough to use them as long as the performance is comparable.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've had GlassStones, Pro/Kuromaku, and M15 Shaptons, and the GlassStones are the best of the lot. Shapton is not famous for feedback, and the pros seem to have the worst feel. The GlassStones are cheaper because they're thinner, but they're harder and dish less. For the average Joe, they're the best way to go. If you expect your stones to see a lot of work, they also have an M24 series that's almost an inch thick. Overall, I still prefer the Naniwas.

Dave knows his stuff and has a great sharpening service, but I learned from someone ever better.

I've had GlassStones, Pro/Kuromaku, and M15 Shaptons, and the GlassStones are the best of the lot. Shapton is not famous for feedback, and the pros seem to have the worst feel. The GlassStones are cheaper because they're thinner, but they're harder and dish less. For the average Joe, they're the best way to go. If you expect your stones to see a lot of work, they also have an M24 series that's almost an inch thick. Overall, I still prefer the Naniwas.

Dave knows his stuff and has a great sharpening service, but I learned from someone ever better.

Thank you for the information. It seems like you have enough experience using the different types of stones to make a useful comparison.

I have read ouch's word before on this, and think my way is glasstones, and what'a heck, they look cool.

Maybe naniwas is nice also, but I'm so afraid that they are weeery expensive..

But hey, I have an friend on concert tour in Tokyo right now, maybe I should bug him to take some home? :D (If I'd know what he should look for though.., I'd guess you don't find this on the average cornershop..)

I've watched these and tried to get a decent edge on a blade I have. Unfortunately I have not been very successful :(

I've watched these and tried to get a decent edge on a blade I have. Unfortunately I have not been very successful :(

What type of blade do you have, what stones are you using, and what have you done so far? The more detail that you give the better the chance that someone will be able to help you solve the problem.

Thanks David for all the hardwork :001_smile. This is an excellent resource for newbies like me who want learn the basics of honing.

I was wondering on the X pattern. I have a norton 4k/8k stone that is wide enough to run the razor straight back and forth. Do I still need to do an X pattern? I cannot remember where but I thought I saw someone else not using an X. Any advantage to it?

Very nice videos! I tried honing my messed up edged dovo right after watching it and it is back to shaving! Thanks!

I was wondering on the X pattern. I have a norton 4k/8k stone that is wide enough to run the razor straight back and forth. Do I still need to do an X pattern? I cannot remember where but I thought I saw someone else not using an X. Any advantage to it?

That is a great question and it has been discussed at length many times in the past (and probably is being discussed as we speak on some shaving forum). If you do a search on the straightrazorplace for "x-pattern" then you will find much more information/discussions on the topic than you could ever want. Basically the argument for using the x-pattern on all stones regardless of width is that many people feel that the diagonal scratch pattern that it leaves on the edge does a better job of slicing whiskers than a straight perpendicular scratch pattern. Barber's manuals all seem to advocate using the x-pattern to produce the diagonal scratch pattern; however, most barber hones would not accommodate the entire length of the blade either so it is not really an option. This diagonal scratch pattern can also be produced with the straight across stroke with the heal leading. The other argument for using the x-pattern is that it sharpens the edge more evenly on razors that are not ground quite perfectly; you would be surprised at how many razors don't sit perfectly flat on the hone. I use the x-pattern almost exclusively because that is what I have always used (on both narrow and wide stones) and it just plain works well. The edges that have laid perfectly flat on the hone have also sharpened up well for me when I used a straight across heal leading stroke just for experimentation. If you are in the process of developing your technique then I would recommend learning the x-pattern because it will work with all types of razors on all types of stones, but I am sure that you can get great edges with both methods. Just experiment for yourself and see what gives you the best and most consistent results.

Very nice videos! I tried honing my messed up edged dovo right after watching it and it is back to shaving! Thanks!

Thank you very much for the kind words, and I am very happy that the information helped you fix and sharpen your edge. It really isn't that hard is it? Now you just need to get some more razors to practice on :biggrin:

Just wanted to say thanks for making the effort to produce these videos. As a relative newbie, I've just made my first foray into honing, and I'm sure much of the reason it's been apparently successful is through being able to watch an experienced person showing how to do it and explaining the issues.
Cheers,

David

Just wanted to say thanks for making the effort to produce these videos. As a relative newbie, I've just made my first foray into honing, and I'm sure much of the reason it's been apparently successful is through being able to watch an experienced person showing how to do it and explaining the issues.
Cheers,

David

I am very glad that the information helped you achieve success on your first time out. Thank you for sharing your positive experience, it is good to hear that they are achieving what I had hoped when making them.

That is a great question and it has been discussed at length many times in the past (and probably is being discussed as we speak on some shaving forum).

I'm woundering. When you use an X patteren the edge closest to the pivot comes off the hone right away, and the toe stays on the hone for the complete stroke. Won't this make the toe honed more than the part next to the tang? Does it matter? Sorry if this has been covered. Great videos by the way. Thanks, Tim

BTW David, Those Bad Cat amps sound great! Tube power!

I'm woundering. When you use an X patteren the edge closest to the pivot comes off the hone right away, and the toe stays on the hone for the complete stroke. Won't this make the toe honed more than the part next to the tang? Does it matter? Sorry if this has been covered. Great videos by the way. Thanks, Tim

BTW David, Those Bad Cat amps sound great! Tube power!

Tim, read my response to devnul's question 4 posts up and see if that helps you at all. That is a good question that has been asked quite often (you can do a search for answers over at the SRP) and I think that most people who have experience honing on wide stones (including Lynn) will tell you that it is not much of an issue. Some think that the extra weight toward the heel due to the scales partially makes up for some of the extra time that the toe spends on the hone, some just don't think that it matters for whatever reason, others might think that it does make a small difference. Glad that you liked the videos and my shirt :biggrin: I mostly just play vintage Marshalls though :wink:

David

Top Bottom