What's new

Preshave Products

Preshave is something I didn't use very much but I find myself appreciating this addition more and more in the shaving routine. In the meantime I have a nice variety of these goodies(most of them i got whit the purchase of bst buy) some better than others but all good in their own way. I am going to try to use a different one every day and share my experiences with you.

There is also a shaving soap with it, in fact I use this method every day. When I use hard soaps, I always soften the top layer of the soap by pouring warm water over it, after showering I massage this soapy water into my beard along with a tuft of whipped lather from the shaving bowl. After this i prepare my razor etc.

IMG_3315.jpeg

Do you use preshave daily and if u use is, do you use a commercial product or something DIY?

Looking forward to your reply’s

I have several different pre-shave products. They all seem to provide a good skin preparation underneath a soap lather. I haven't been using DE and SE razors for very long (only about 3 years), but my current assessment is that pre-shave products can be helpful to me when my lather is sub-par. I usually only use pre-shaves when I lather a shave soap with a brush (I don't use pre-shave when using a brushless cream like Cremo).

The best pre-shaves in helping with slickness are gels like Razorock or Cella pre-shave gel. The Proraso pre-shave doesn't seem to work for me quite as well as the gels.

Pre-shave is an important part of my shave. I absolutely notice if I skip any step of this.
Having said that, I acknowledge that others find no benefit from a pre-shave routine.
I do the following:
  • Hot shower
  • Wash face with Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, hand lathering/massaging into face for 30 sec
  • Massage Myrsol Emulsion into face for 30 sec, focusing on my problem areas
  • Lather soap/cream and shave

💈SOTD: 11-5-24

Preshave: PAA Scentless Cube

One of the first ones I bought was this Cube from PAA, which is basically a glycerin soap with some extra butters added. I mainly use it to wash my face with in the shower when I use it as a preshave, you could also apply it against the hair growth and brush the lather over it afterwards, but this causes irritation for me.

As a facial cleanser this one works fine in my opinion, it also makes the beard hairs a little softer so that's a win win situation. But very convenient to use it is not, awkwardly large, and in the shower very slippery due to the glycerin, luckily I am usually alone there 😁. I also left it in the shower to finish it, but I won't be buying it again.

I use a Stirling unscented pre-shave soap bar. Wet my face with hot water then lather up my face . I massage my face for perhaps a couple of minutes and then leave the soap on to get absorbed while I prepare my shave cream. I face lather.

The bar is normal bath soap size and lasts for months. $5.00 at Stirling Soap Co. Full of all kinds of pre-shave oils.

I have several different pre-shave products. They all seem to provide a good skin preparation underneath a soap lather. I haven't been using DE and SE razors for very long (only about 3 years), but my current assessment is that pre-shave products can be helpful to me when my lather is sub-par. I usually only use pre-shaves when I lather a shave soap with a brush (I don't use pre-shave when using a brushless cream like Cremo).

The best pre-shaves in helping with slickness are gels like Razorock or Cella pre-shave gel. The Proraso pre-shave doesn't seem to work for me quite as well as the gels.
The Cella preshave is also a nice one, but I don’t have one in my collection at the moment. I didn’t know that razorock had preshave gels, i knew they had also a kind of glycerine soap.

I use a Stirling unscented pre-shave soap bar. Wet my face with hot water then lather up my face . I massage my face for perhaps a couple of minutes and then leave the soap on to get absorbed while I prepare my shave cream. I face lather.

The bar is normal bath soap size and lasts for months. $5.00 at Stirling Soap Co. Full of all kinds of pre-shave oils.
I will take a look, the soaps, splashes and balms are easily too get in Europe but the soap bars and other Stirling products are harder too get here.

Pre-shave is an important part of my shave. I absolutely notice if I skip any step of this.
Having said that, I acknowledge that others find no benefit from a pre-shave routine.
I do the following:
  • Hot shower
  • Wash face with Valobra Glicerlanolina soap, hand lathering/massaging into face for 30 sec
  • Massage Myrsol Emulsion into face for 30 sec, focusing on my problem areas
  • Lather soap/cream and shave
Is the myrsol like a balm type thickness?

Jack Black Bead Lube, which I use solo, is amazing under cream or soap. In fact its better. Lots of guys use it as a preshave. Try it. Also a good aftershave.

Today i user the preshave from Mondial, this is a very nice product light hint of menthol which gives a very pleasant and relaxing feeling. Massage it in the beard for a 30 seconds and apply the first layer of lather and the glide and slickness are very good.

Top product

I use the PAA Ice Cube while at home. When at work I’ll use ACH Brito Glyce Lime or PAA Ice Tube. If is kinda cold, Sometimes I use some Magic Shave. But I never used a pre-shave until recently. It’s nice they add slickness and some moisturizing properties. But I don’t “need” them.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I used a few preshave oils when I first started. They never seemed to add anything to my shave, so I just gave them away. I've never tried any of the creams though.

I started with with pre-shave oils, and they were a Great Leap Forward as far as irritation goes. Later, I tried a couple pre-shave creams and found them to be even better.

My favorite is Noxzema Protective Shave. I use it as a pre-shave, but I do not know if it is supposed to be a shaving cream. My second favorite is Proraso pre/post shave.

Has anyone tried the Italian Noxzema as a shaving cream? The packaging implies that it can be used as a shaving cream.
B6F01C7B-655C-4C8C-908E-6DAC6531C78E.jpeg
883E9DE9-5ABA-4A7A-B2BC-D83DBF6A78EE.jpeg

Top Bottom