What's new

Preference for CCW size belt

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For a less "gun belt" look, consider a "Ranger style" belt that is tapered to the front where the buckle and tongue are but wider in the area that supports the firearm and accessories. This works very well for dressier apparel if the gun is not too big / heavy.

I just wear a solid leather belt and buckle with jeans, current belt is 1 1/2" and to me, that looks "normal" for a belt. But I don't tuck in my shirts, never have. Although I do tuck in an undershirt when i wear a button up shirt, Now that I'm in shape and not fat, I can do that! But I don't like tucking in button up shirts. Makes me feel restricted.

I also notice I can conceal IWB much easier now dropping from 40" waist 2 years ago to 34" waist now. Actually, I'm 32" waist, but even 32" relaxed fit jeans are too snug in the hips, so 34" works.

I would NOT wear a nylon belt for carry. Top grade Leather only. But that's me :)

Your gun belt width is largely determined by the holster you choose. It should be the widest belt that will fit your holster. This helps keep your holster in one place.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Your gun belt width is largely determined by the holster you choose. It should be the widest belt that will fit your holster. This helps keep your holster in one place.

IWB holsters are more forgiving of belt size, but OWB holsters should be closely matched to belt width. My Milt Sparks Ranger style belt is 1 1/4" and the matching OWB holster for a S&W J frame is sized accordingly and is very secure. Otherwise, I usually use a 1 1/2" belt and most of my holsters, whether IWB or OWB are sized accordingly.

IWB holsters are more forgiving of belt size, but OWB holsters should be closely matched to belt width. My Milt Sparks Ranger style belt is 1 1/4" and the matching OWB holster for a S&W J frame is sized accordingly and is very secure. Otherwise, I usually use a 1 1/2" belt and most of my holsters, whether IWB or OWB are sized accordingly.

This is a ranger belt:
It screams "GUN!!!!"
proxy.php

Milt Sparks doesn't show one on their site.

This is a ranger belt:
It screams "GUN!!!!"

...and the reality is that while you and I might know that, you could stand in any mall in America with an openly-carried sidearm and a T-shirt with an arrow saying "My gun is right here!," and not one in fifty would notice.

True! Sadly, so true.

However, that is exactly why I don't worry about packing a full-size 1911 or revolver under a shirt. A cop having a good day might pick up on it, but nobody else will.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This is a ranger belt:
It screams "GUN!!!!"

While that is true, most Ranger belts do look as pictured, the one I have, which Sparks apparently no longer offers, did not have the overlapping design but truly tapered in the front to present a relatively slim profile. So I suppose it is not a Ranger belt in the classic sense, but I think that is what they called it.

I resurrected this thread because I had complained in it before that the nearly-universal 1½" carry belts just didn't make it with the kind of clothes I wear.

Since then, I got a Hank's Amish 1¼" belt and couldn't be happier. Just thick leather, no inserts, etc. Holds my Shield and spare mag quite nicely, and works well with shorts, etc.

It is also of a size (and looks) to use as a dress belt, which I sorely needed--my work clothes tend to suit, tuxedo, or tails, which don't lend themselves to "rugged outdoorsman" belts.

A darn nice belt, and reasonably priced. Carry on.

Last edited:
Check out Zach's Gunbelts. Great products all custom made and very reasonably priced. Opinions vary on the stiffeners. Some belt makers will say a good quality leather belt has no need for one. I don't care for them but that is only my preference. I find 1.5 inch width is ideal for carrying most side arms up to and including my S&W 629 .44 Magnum in a Milt Sparks PMK holster

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Looking at the Milt Sparks website, they list under "Options" for their belts, among other things, are tapered ends. That is what I have. So I have a 1 1/4 inch belt that tapers down to 1 inch in front and looks all the world like a normal dress belt. So it's not a Ranger belt in the strictest sense of the word.

Top Bottom