What's new

Pre 10,000th Post Pen and Ink giveaway

I nearing my 10,000th post and I have put together a little giveaway. I love fountain pens and ink as much as I do traditional wet shaving. I want to share my joy with someone new to fountain pens.

Rules for this PIF we always have to have rules;

I want to give a newer nib enthusiast a Hero 710 fountain pen and a brand new bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo ink.

You must be fountain newbie within last 6 months
You have less than 10 fountain pens tell what pens you have.
You have less than 10 bottles of ink tell what inks you have.
Briefly describe your interest in fountain pens and ink.
Honesty counts gentleman.
This PIF will run till 5 June
A winner will be chosen based upon their description, my wife will chose the winner. This is open to everyone.
I decided to add a couple surprises for the winner too.

The ink sample was from another bottle of the same ink.

Attachments

• $IMG_0358.jpg
    $IMG_0358.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Very kind of you. I think I JUST get in under the six month wire. I received my Waterman Expert III on December 29th. It was my first serious foray into FP's.

I'd happily be "in" if Canucks are able to participate. If not, I completely understand and will watch from the sidelines.

You must be fountain newbie within last 6 months. - As mentioned above, I bought my Waterman Expert III in late December.

You have less than 10 fountain pens tell what pens you have. - I currently only have the one pen. A few weeks before buying my Waterman, I had a Lamy Safari that I PIF'd to my father in-law around Christmas time.
You have less than 10 bottles of ink tell what inks you have. - I have only bought one bottle of ink to date. Parker blue-black Quink. I was having some skipping issues with my Waterman, and a fellow B&B'er sent me samples of seven or eight inks. I've slowly been working through them, and have found that Iroshizuku Asa Gao has been the best performing ink in my pen thus far. Writes absolutely wonderfully, which was a relief after having skipping issues with three or four others I'd tried. Planning on picking up a bottle of Iroshizuku of some sort once I've used up the sample tube of it.

Briefly describe your interest in fountain pens and ink. - I used a Cross Century BP for five years before jumping into FP's. I was borderline fanatical about my Cross, to the point that co-workers would hide it on me if I left it unattended, just to watch me declare I wasn't working anymore until it was returned. On one particular day, I went so far as to go out and buy another IDENTICAL pen because I thought I had finally lost my Century. Turns out the night time office cleaning crew had found it on the floor (gasp) and put it on someone else's desk. I've still got both the original, and the replacement.

I started reading the threads here about FP's and decided to get one. I'm pretty content with my selection, now that I've found an ink that flows nicely in it. I enjoy the looks I get from co-workers when they see me writing with a FP. It's the same sort of show and awe look that people get when they find out I shave with straight razors.

I'm in. Thanks for the very generous PIF for who ever wins it.

I only got into fountain pens just about Christmas time, so I'm in by the skin of my teeth time-wise. I own only two pens currently, a TWSBI 580 and a Sheaffer's Special that was given to me by JUT. As for ink, between my wife and I we have three bottles of ink: Noodler's Zhivago and Purple, and Diamine Midnight Blue.

After years of lack of use, my handwriting became little better than chicken scratch. I really wanted to improve my handwriting and start journaling and writing some other things by hand. I find that I tend to think more carefully about what I'm handwriting than what I'm typing. I do so much on a computer that it's nice to do something analog like handwriting. It's much more relaxing and enjoyable. My handwriting has also improved dramatically since I began handwriting more. Fountain pens not only make the writing experience more enjoyable, I find they are just superior instruments to ball points. It's just a more elegant tool, and I find them easier to write with. When our son is old enough, my wife and I are going to buy him a fountain pen and teach him how to take care of it. We've also bought the Spencerian hand writing method so he can learn cursive since schools are starting to phase out the teaching of cursive handwriting. We want our son to be able to read and write cursive. Just think, soon no one will be able to read the actual Declaration of Independence or the Constitution simply because they can't read cursive. It's sad to think that people will need specialized training to read a lot of documents that were written in cursive. I want to keep that ability alive as far as I can, and the fountain pen is a tool for doing so.

I always carry a journal and fountain pen in my bag with me so that I can record thoughts or ideas now. It's really been an enriching and enjoyable experience.

UPDATE: I just purchased a Lamy 2000. My pen count is now three. The ink count is up to four as I also bought a bottle Parker Washable Blue Quink. I just thought I'd update so that my entry is accurate.

Last edited:

I started using a fountain pen on the first day of school. So I'm well past six months of using a fountain pen.

You know I never counted my pens there is Pelikan, Lamy, Montblanc, Parker, Pilot,

Ah Ha ! I have less than ten bottles of ink. Two Montblanc bottles, a almost empty bottle of parker ink. One bottle of caran d'ache.
Wait are we counting empty bottles ?

(The answer was well above the allowed number of spaces for a post, sorry.)

Get out of here one cut you are just bored and want to post again.

I might slide in under the deadline, but I'm definitely NOT in ... I have three pens already ... and I love using them. Definitely want to see others fall in love as I have

Great PIF

Very kind of you. I think I JUST get in under the six month wire. I received my Waterman Expert III on December 29th. It was my first serious foray into FP's.

I'd happily be "in" if Canucks are able to participate. If not, I completely understand and will watch from the sidelines.

You must be fountain newbie within last 6 months. - As mentioned above, I bought my Waterman Expert III in late December.

You have less than 10 fountain pens tell what pens you have. - I currently only have the one pen. A few weeks before buying my Waterman, I had a Lamy Safari that I PIF'd to my father in-law around Christmas time.
You have less than 10 bottles of ink tell what inks you have. - I have only bought one bottle of ink to date. Parker blue-black Quink. I was having some skipping issues with my Waterman, and a fellow B&B'er sent me samples of seven or eight inks. I've slowly been working through them, and have found that Iroshizuku Asa Gao has been the best performing ink in my pen thus far. Writes absolutely wonderfully, which was a relief after having skipping issues with three or four others I'd tried. Planning on picking up a bottle of Iroshizuku of some sort once I've used up the sample tube of it.

Briefly describe your interest in fountain pens and ink. - I used a Cross Century BP for five years before jumping into FP's. I was borderline fanatical about my Cross, to the point that co-workers would hide it on me if I left it unattended, just to watch me declare I wasn't working anymore until it was returned. On one particular day, I went so far as to go out and buy another IDENTICAL pen because I thought I had finally lost my Century. Turns out the night time office cleaning crew had found it on the floor (gasp) and put it on someone else's desk. I've still got both the original, and the replacement.

I started reading the threads here about FP's and decided to get one. I'm pretty content with my selection, now that I've found an ink that flows nicely in it. I enjoy the looks I get from co-workers when they see me writing with a FP. It's the same sort of show and awe look that people get when they find out I shave with straight razors.

It is open to all.

I'm in!

I am afraid that I am completely new to fountain pens. I don't have a single pen, but have been looking at getting into fountain pens. I find them very appealing to my fascination to classic gentlemans' life style. This might not be the right PIF to get apart of as far as starting into fountain pens. but I am very interested in getting started with them.

thank you for your generosity.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
1. I just bought my fountain pen about 6 weeks ago. I got 3 pilot varsity pens, and gave one to Diane, one to Paula. Those two are my female cousins. I kept the third one, which has blue ink. These are throw away pens.

2. My sister then game me 3 Sheaffer pens. These are from around 1958. All these get filled up with ink. Two of these I use as dip pens. The third one needs some work.

3. I have one bottle of ink. Early the old master sergeant gave me that bottle of black ink.

4. I use the fountain pens for official business like writing checks, writing letters to others, and writing short stories. I still use pencils and a Uni ball vision pen.

Im in!

I only have one fountain pen - a Waterman Laureat

I only have one bottle of ink - Sheaffer Skrip blue/black

I'm definitely under the 6 month mark - Just started using my pen two weeks ago.

My interest stems from being given my fountain pen as a gift several years ago, but never having used it. It has traveled with me from office to office and sat in a dark drawer for years. I am a lawyer and am writing all day, every day. After starting wet shaving, and developing an appreciation for things that are iconic of a bygone era, I though, "why dont I ever use my nice pen?" I always thought it was something I needed to save only for a nice occasion, but why not make every day a nice occasion to write? So... I am now using my fountain pen for all of my note taking, signing of official documents, and everything else. It makes writing a real pleasure and I'm already getting the itch to start a fountain pen collection.

While I do fit the critiera, I will say I'm not in as I am having fun exploring on my own. This is a very nice PIF, thank you sir!

Very gentlemanly PIF, I'm in.

I'm a fountain pen newbie, just got my first pen, a Pilot Metropolitan from Massdrop on April 17th and have only recently filled the converter for the first time.

You have less than 10 fountain pens tell what pens you have

I have a Pilot Metropolitan with a Fine NIB. Picked up two in the Massdrop, but gave one to my Wife.

I picked up a bottle of Parker Quink at a brick and mortar store and have a bottle of Noodler's Black Waterproof / Bulletproof ink on order (and a CON-50 converter)

I picked up a fountain pen to try and improve my handwriting and get back into writing things out by hand like a journal instead of typing everything. My handwriting has always been messy and my hand tends to cramp on ball point pens, never used a fountain pen before.

Thanks.

I'm in. I've only been using fountain pens for two weeks, and I only have a bottle of Iro Kon-peki and Parker Quink. The only pen I own is a Pilot Metropolitan. I love this hobby because of the great people whom I've talked to because of it and because a fountain pen just feels classy to hold. I love Kon-peki and it will always be my favorite ink (even though I've only tried a few) because it is the color of TLOML's eyes.

Im in! :thumbup:

You must be fountain newbie within last 6 months.

Got my first real fountain pen, a Pilot Metropolitan 3 weeks ago. Kinda gone slightly bonkers since! lol
Platinum Preppy (F), Pilot Petit1 X2 (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Namiki Falcon (SF), Lamy Al-star (EF), Noodler's Ahab, and a vintage Esterbrook LJ Icicle (1554).

Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Heart of Darkness, and Pilot Iroshizuku
Chiku-rin.

All I can really say is that it feels better, and my hand doesn't hurt after writing for a while like it does with my ballpoint tacti-cool pen. I actually bought some stamps and sent my Mother a real honest to god snail mail letter this week. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to get it.

I have no fountain pens, and always thought they weren't for lefties. But I have been lurking on the Nib for a while now, considering one after reading that it isn't so bad after all. So I'm in!

As a bonus, my (left handed) wife would be keen to use it too - she enjoys writing correspondence and buying stationary, so both of us would put your PIF to double good use!

I'm in:

I started about 4 months ago. First pen was a Pilot Metropolitan.

Pilot Metropolitan ; Cross ATX ; B&B edition Franklin Cristophe 27 Collegia ; Visconti Savador Dali ; Pilot Elite 95S ; Jinhao 159

In bottles, I have Mont Blanc Royal Blue and Mont Blank JFK Blue

I love the variety of pens and ink and find my handwriting and creativity are greatly enhanced when writing with a FP. I've taken up journaling, and write WAY more notes at work, all to enjoy the pleasure of my new "hobby".

Top Bottom