What's new

Post Your Pictures: Swedish Steel

C.V Heljestrand MK#24.
~4/8 ~¼ grind

The MK#24 is a stealthy whisker assassin.
It's small, light & overall very petite.

But when you put it against your face it suddenly transforms & becomes one of the stiffest & meanest blades you have ever put on your face.
I'm not kidding when I say that it feels like a big Sheffield wedge on the face. But not as smooth. It's one of those blades that seems to be able to take an edge that is almost sharper then comfortable.

It is a bit puzzling why it's in the "MK" series. It's wedgy, hasn't got a thumb-notch & I've never seen one in fancy scales. Always black plastic.
And the edge it takes are not at all similar to any of the other razor in the MK series, otherwise they all have a similar "edge feel" to them.
There is also a non-MK no 24, but that is rather different from this one.

If you get the chance to try a MK#24, do it, it really is a different experience!

This one is rescaled by myself.
(The edge looks crazy in some of the pics, it aint rust, it's just grind marks that looks funny in the pictures for some reason)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
What does MK stand for?
I've heard various suggestions on the shaving boards but the best explanation I've heard also comes from the most reliable source (old Eskilstuna guy whos father spent his entire life as a grinder at various Eskilstuna forges)
& that is "Mästerlig Kvalité" ~"Master Quality"

The following razor has been called "the greatest shaving razor ever made" by several respectable men.
And I really can't argue with that.
I can say that I have tried a few that is maybe just as good, but none better.

It can be found in two models.
This one, with thumb-notch & horn scales & another one without thumb-notch & bakelite scales.
As for the stamps, blade & shave they are IMO identical.

C.V Heljestrand tapering ~6/8 frameback:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here's another Joh. Engstrom frameback that I have but it's in its original state. I haven't honed this one up yet but I think I'll do it tonight. I'm going to keep this one because it's my last Swedish razor.

Edit: Shave with this frameback for the first time today. I must say I love this razor now. It's stiff but not as heavy as a big wedge. Now would you guys suggest to leave the bone scales as they are or replace them? The scales are not broken but I will probably take the razor apart to clean it before making it a permanent unit in my rotation.

Edit: Shave with this frameback for the first time today. I must say I love this razor now. It's stiff but not as heavy as a big wedge. Now would you guys suggest to leave the bone scales as they are or replace them? The scales are not broken but I will probably take the razor apart to clean it before making it a permanent unit in my rotation.

As the old expression goes, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

I have one or the other real frameback where the blade is unsalvageable but the holder or frame is still ok. Is it possible to replace the blade with a "new old" one or a custom made copy. Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of restoration?

Last edited:
I have one or the other real frameback where the blade is unsalvageable but the holder or frame is still ok. Is it possible to replace the blade with a "new old" one or a custom made copy. Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of restoration?

I haven't. So long as the blade isn't rusted in place, I don't see why you couldn't.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Here's mine...

attachment.php

7/8 - Klas Törnblom "185" - Eskilstuna

I bought it NOS! :thumbup1:

The following razor has been called "the greatest shaving razor ever made" by several respectable men.
And I really can't argue with that.
I can say that I have tried a few that is maybe just as good, but none better.

It can be found in two models.
This one, with thumb-notch & horn scales & another one without thumb-notch & bakelite scales.
As for the stamps, blade & shave they are IMO identical.

C.V Heljestrand tapering ~6/8 frameback:
proxy.php
proxy.php

I have this same razor. I haven't cleaned it up or honed it yet, however. When I took it out of the package it arrived in it slid out unexpectedly and dropped onto the tile floor. I thought the blade would be destroyed but all that happened was that a piece of the scales right by the pivot broke off. I think they were just Bakelite scales but they were in pretty bad shape regardless. Shame, too, because I wasted a perfectly good swear word.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just looked at some pictures of it (I'm in my dorm and it's back home) and it looks like they're bone scales. I guess I didn't waste the swear word after all.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My second Swedish razor

5/8 - C.V. Heljestrand - Eskilstuna Sweden
attachment.php

Not mine, but maybe worth showing anyway?
NOS 7-day set, C.V Heljestrand MK#31 genuine ivory scales. Weekdays written in Swedish on spine.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not mine, but maybe worth showing anyway?
NOS 7-day set, C.V Heljestrand MK#31 genuine ivory scales. Weekdays written in Swedish on spine.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh my!

Did you happen to see that 7 day set of ivory clad, pristine MK #33s that sold on French Ebay a couple of years ago? Went for $250 or so. To this day I'm peeved that my snipe didn't fire.

Oh my!

Did you happen to see that 7 day set of ivory clad, pristine MK #33s that sold on French Ebay a couple of years ago? Went for $250 or so. To this day I'm peeved that my snipe didn't fire.
Nope.

But I feel your pain. I'd still be kicking myself for that...
$250 is a good price for a single MK#33 in ivory nowadays methinks....

Top Bottom