What's new

Post Shave Routine. To Moisturize or Not to Moisturize?

Hot Water
Cold Water
Alcohol Based After Shave
Which Hazel
give it a couple minutes...
Corn Huskers Lotion (if required)

I personally moisturize regardless of if I use an after shave. There are times where I feel it best to not have much scent on. I use moisturizer first then top it off with after shave. That way my face is properly conditioned before adding scent.

Dumb question )that I am sure if I had the time to do my own research I would find), what is the benefit to witch hazel? Is is used in place of an after shave or to compliment it?

Dumb question )that I am sure if I had the time to do my own research I would find), what is the benefit to witch hazel? Is is used in place of an after shave or to compliment it?
Not sure of the science...but I find it a soothing, non-burning alternative to a straight alcohol-based AS splash.

I use it (actually Lucky Tiger which contains WH, as well as other good stuff) as a precursor to a final (usually alcohol-based) splash. (NOTE: some splashes -- like Speick and Ogalla BR -- have both alcohol and WH)

Must be good stuff...:001_smile

I rinse with cold water then follow with witch hazel. i then finish with some vasalene for men body and face lotion

I always moisturise after shaving,always , in fact sometimes I will rub some avocado oil over my face then apply lather over it and then moisturise after the shave. Using the avocado oil as a pre shave doesn't really improve the actual shave but it leaves my skin feeling great afterwards as it means that the shaving soap doesn't strip my skins oils

I'm trying to figure out a post shave routine as well. To me alum kind of sucks compared to witch hazel, but witch hazel doesn't work for me as well as a splash. So I do a cold water splash, then
alum of my shave sucked, witch hazel or a splash like RR Problem Solver as an aftershave then I use a moisturizer.

But to answer your question I don't think you're doing too much but if you don't like alum just cut that out and use it if you've had a really bad shave.

Hot, warm or cold water splash. The temp doesn't seem to matter for me. I've read your skin needs hot or cold for several minutes to open or close your pores so a few seconds of splashing water after the shave probably isn't going to change anything. I haven't found hot or cold shaves to make a difference for me and I prefer a hot shower in the winter so no sense suffering.

I wipe with Thayer's alcohol free w/ aloe for moisture. My skin is normally oily even in the winter. Sometimes my neck will feel a bit dry so then I'll use an oil free/non-comedogenic moisturizer like Neutrogena. I'd like to use some fancier, better smelling stuff, but my pores clog to easily and I'll get more ingrown hairs if I do. We visit my inlaws in AZ once or twice each year and I notice my skin seems much better out there although my wife says her skin dries out. I was probably meant to live in a desert lol.

Interesting debate on hot vs cold water and the effects on your skin pores. To be honest, I'd never heard of any connection until coming to B&B.

For me, it was always cold water constricts the capillaries so you close up the weepers more quickly and you bleed less. :001_cool:

Interesting debate on hot vs cold water and the effects on your skin pores. To be honest, I'd never heard of any connection until coming to B&B.

For me, it was always cold water constricts the capillaries so you close up the weepers more quickly and you bleed less. :001_cool:
This. I don't know if there is a scientific explanation, but it works for me.

Top Bottom