What's new

polypropylene

Is polypropylene a good secondary strop material
I believe WD is using it on the rich mans

Heard a few ok things

What say y all?

It may be my best option as a secondary component

Wasn’t that what some of the SRD strops had? I have one that has that type of webbing I think. Certainly not my favorite.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Wasn’t that what some of the SRD strops had? I have one that has that type of webbing I think. Certainly not my favorite.
I think they used seat belt webbing which is usually a polyester webbing. I tried nylon before and found it way too slick but never tried either of the poly materials.

Reactions: Wid
I think they used seat belt webbing which is usually a polyester webbing. I tried nylon before and found it way too slick but never tried either of the poly materials.

That very well might be. Here’s a pic of the one I have.

IMG_1824.jpeg

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Hmm, that looks like a much coarser weave than I remember. It may still be polyester though and looks similar to the nylon I have as I recall.

Mills often change or offer different weaves as I am finding in my search for different materials.

I am curious as to what the polypropylene feels like though.

That very well might be. Here’s a pic of the one I have.

View attachment 1801108

Reactions: Wid
Hmm, that looks like a much coarser weave than I remember. It may still be polyester though and looks similar to the nylon I have as I recall.

Mills often change or offer different weaves as I am finding in my search for different materials.

I am curious as to what the polypropylene feels like though.

This feels very rough imo. Like you’re stropping on a bunch of speed bumps lol. Very plastic(y)

Years ago, I experimented with Nylon seat belt weave and Polypropylene both are available from Fabric stores and Army surplus, and inexpensive. I even tried Kevlar seatbelt material.

They do feel slick but can produce a good, decent finish, not as good as Flax or Cotton but ok.

The good thing about both is they are almost cut proof and great for a new stropper to learn to strop on. You can strop edge leading, (not recommended) and not damage the strop.

Nylon seatbelt, is very good for a pasted strop, holds paste very well, but only use new seatbelt, soiled seat belt is very difficult to clean properly.

I too really like the Tony Miller Flax Herringbone and Hem strops, both are similar to good, clean Firehose linen. I had used Firehose for a few years now.

Years ago, I experimented with Nylon seat belt weave and Polypropylene both are available from Fabric stores and Army surplus, and inexpensive. I even tried Kevlar seatbelt material.

They do feel slick but can produce a good, decent finish, not as good as Flax or Cotton but ok.

The good thing about both is they are almost cut proof and great for a new stropper to learn to strop on. You can strop edge leading, (not recommended) and not damage the strop.

Nylon seatbelt, is very good for a pasted strop, holds paste very well, but only use new seatbelt, soiled seat belt is very difficult to clean properly.

I too really like the Tony Miller Flax Herringbone and Hem strops, both are similar to good, clean Firehose linen. I had used Firehose for a few years now.
Thanks for shedding more light and this wonderful information

Have used many webbings made from several poly materials.
Have also used many different seat belt materials.

Also, dunno if anyone remembers, but a while back there was a pebbly textured very plasticky strop being touted as the second coming of the messiah. Only reason it did anything was that the sellers had impregnated the fibers with FeOx. Without the abrasive, wasn't anything there.

Thus far, thin polyester, polypropylene and nylon webbings haven't been worth the bother, other than them being something to strop on. Some of them have a negative result on the apex actually. Plastic fibers can be harsh when they want to be.
I would choose a cotton webbing instead any day. Well made and very clean and consistent flax linen is what I usually use but I still have a few cotton strops hanging around and they do see use.

During lock-down, I did come across a length of pretty thick yellow high density poly webbing. I think it was for tying down pipe on flatbeds for transit. The weave was tight but still somewhat textured. Can't call it coarse but there was felt texture.
Wasn't bad as a cleaning and pre-srop component material.
Was ugly yellow and difficult to work with. Got dingy fast too.

Top Bottom