What's new

Polish and Hungarian Wines

Being half Polish and a quarter Hungarian, I've got something of a bias for wines from these countries. Tokaji Aszu in particular is my favorite, as the Tokaji region of Hungary is famous for producing some of the best grapes in Europe.

I've found that Poland produces its own share of mead that is excellent. My older relatives don't care for the sweet wines, whereas I prefer those over the dry. What labels are you familiar with? What do you like or dislike, and why?

Attachments

• Pannon-Tokaj-Aszu-6-Puttony-2006-1.jpg
    Pannon-Tokaj-Aszu-6-Puttony-2006-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Love Tokaji! Was introduced to it at a small Hungarian restaurant in Denver many years ago. Hard to find but worth seeking out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tokaji Aszú is definitely one of the best botrytized wines in the world - well known and highly acclaimed. I myself prefer the less sweet 3 puttonyos, but if you like 6, maybe you should try their Tokaji Eszencia (nectar) which has much more sugar and less alcohol in it.
As for the Polish part - just go for Vodka ;)

Slivovicz. 190 proof plum brandy that can send you to Mars, take paint off walls, rust stains out of concrete and turn a stomach to Swiss Cheese. I have seen the l'chaim crowd down this stuff like water and still stand up. This stuff is Yiddish White Lightning.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My wife once found me sleeping on the couch and said, "What's the matter? Too many puttonyos?"

Tokaji Aszu is a terrific dessert wine.

Top Bottom