What's new

Plisson synthetic

Picked up my brush today from my local L'Occitane store, on sale at AUD50 (half the regular price). Lathered up CF Lime impressively and had a damn good shave. Very happy with this acquisition.

It has a smaller knot than the Plisson.

How much smaller? I wouldn't mind a little smaller if it otherwise felt the same. I really like the look of that brush, and the price seems excellent if it's a slightly smaller plisson without the problems with the wooden handle.

FYI - straight razors .com has a sale on a Satin tip synth for $15 before shipping. I can't speak to the quality of that brush but in another thread it's getting a lot of love.

I have to say that I'm torn between the Fine and the Satin tip. I'm looking for a backup to my loccitaine Plisson, which I love. I probably can't go wrong with this decision but I'm torn none the less. Good problem to have :)

I have the Fine. My first impression was less than favorable, but after using it for about a dozen shaves I have to say its grown on me. Its a smallish brush at 20mm, but certainly large enough to get the job done. Tips are very soft and splays easily to the middle of the knot, then it firms up. It splays to easily for me, and doesn't provide much in the way of "feedback". As a result I tend to press quite firmly. Despite pressing firmly I have never encountered a glue bump.

I still prefer a good old boar knot to any synthetic I have tried. Mostly because I have used boars for decades and its what I'm use to. Having said that, the Fine synthetic won me over, its a nice little brush. It wont replace my favorites, but its worth keeping. If the new generation of synthetics made me like them, I suspect any of you folks that prefer synthetics would find the Fine brush to be a real winner. For $20 bucks...I say go for it!

How much smaller? I wouldn't mind a little smaller if it otherwise felt the same. I really like the look of that brush, and the price seems excellent if it's a slightly smaller plisson without the problems with the wooden handle.

The fine has a 20 mm diameter knot vs 22 mm for the Plisson. Loft height is the same. I've been using a Fine for about a week. It is just as soft as the Plisson, but with just a touch more backbone. I like it a lot, although I have not yet made up my mind as to whether I like it more than the Plisson, which I love.

$finecomp.JPG

(L to R) Plissonw/faux horn handle, L'Occitane Plisson, Fine, Grooming Co. Note: The Plisson has had a lot more use than the other 3.

The Fine handle feels really good in my hand, in addition to looking incredibly cool.

--Bob

Last edited:
The fine has a 20 mm diameter knot vs 22 mm for the Plisson. Loft height is the same. I've been using a Fine for about a week. It is just as soft as the Plisson, but with just a touch more backbone. I like it a lot, although I have not yet made up my mind as to whether I like it more than the Plisson, which I love.

View attachment 582866

(L to R) Plissonw/faux horn handle, L'Occitane Plisson, Fine, Grooming Co. Note: The Plisson has had a lot more use than the other 3.

The Fine handle feels really good in my hand, in addition to looking incredibly cool.

--Bob

In really leaning towards the Fine as I love my Plisson and I really like the look of the Fjne handle. If it performs very similarly then I think it's the one for me.

The Fine is a nice looking brush but it is so similar to the Plisson I could not justify buying it now with all the brushes I already have.
It is tempting.

Top Bottom