What's new

Please don't yell at me

I bought a badger silvertip brush a few months ago. I like the brush but it is way to floppy. I can use it for creams but it doesn't work well with soap because it is so soft. Any thoughts on giving it a trim? It was about $40 so I am willing to take a calculated risk. Should I trim it? I was thinking of removing 1/2" of the 4". I am going to buy a different one (AD) now that I know what to look for. Thanks guys!

No. Don't trim it. Use that one for creams and buy a Semogue for your soaps. You'll have the best of both worlds...and you will be able to sleep at night knowing you didn't harm the badger further by trimming the brush.

No. Don't trim it. Use that one for creams and buy a Semogue for your soaps. You'll have the best of both worlds...and you will be able to sleep at night knowing you didn't harm the badger further by trimming the brush.

Once again, "Don't trim it".

One of the reasons I don't like badger brushes is they tend to be floppy.
And that criticism can be applied to some boar brushes with tall lofts.

Get a Semogue #620 like I did.
Short loft and little or no floppiness.

I have no trouble lathering MWF soap with badger brushes, no matter how soft.

I'd say test every lathering method before cutting it short, which might make it prickly like pure badger. Squeezing the brush dry before taking it to the soap works marvellously for me.

No don't trim it. You will make the hairs very scratchy. Hair in any kind of decent brush is trimmed from the knot side before assembly so that the true hair tips remain. If you cut those tips off, you're in for a rough experience.

When you're using soaps - choke up and hold the bristles to stiffen the brush tip enough to gather some soap.

Top Bottom