What's new

Plate loss or hard water stains? Aristocrat #66

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process to consider purchasing another razor off eBay but need some advice regarding a potential plating issue.

Now, overall the razor is in good condition, couple scratches here and there (I'm totally alright with that) except for underneath the base plate where it shows signs of wear.

Please view the attached image.

Do any of you believe this could be early stages of plating loss or could it simply be hard water stains?

To be more specific, I'm referring to the dark markings to the left of the razor.

Could it be polished out safely without compromising the top layer of plating?

I'm eager to purchase it, but do not want another fixer upper.

If it helps, the razor is a #66 Aristocrat.

Appreciate any responses.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 74
Plating magnifies things like scratches, and tool marks. The only way to get perfect finish is remove marks, with means removing metal until surface is smooth.

Not sure this is what you wanted to hear, but it is truth.

Plating magnifies things like scratches, and tool marks. The only way to get perfect finish is remove marks, with means removing metal until surface is smooth.

Not sure this is what you wanted to hear, but it is truth.
That I am certainly aware, however, I was mainly referring to whether or not if it is the beginning of plating loss, or rather, if it could be water / tea stains.. thanks for your input.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I see so more durable than the standard nickel plating?
Yes, it is much more durable than nickel or other platings.

I didn't comment on the water/soap stains and how to remove them without causing damage to the plating. 50/50 vinegar+water should be save, 15 minutes fully submerged and then use a microfiber towel to remove. I don't know if you can use waterspot removers for exterior surfaces for say cars, like Sonax Profiline (pretty common in Germany), as well for razors.

50/50 vinegar+water should be save, 15 minutes fully submerged and then use a microfiber towel to remove. I don't know if you can use waterspot removers for exterior surfaces for say cars, like Sonax Profiline (pretty common in Germany), as well for razors.
A soak in water + dishwash detergent won't harm it either. Just don't boil it.
I usually start with a soak in warm water/dishwashing soap mixture, followed by a gentle scrub with the soft head from an electric toothbrush. It's smaller than a regular toothbrush so it works pretty well in tight corners.
The only time I managed to remove nickle plating was with a Dremel and or sandpaper.

A soak in water + dishwash detergent won't harm it either. Just don't boil it.
I usually start with a soak in warm water/dishwashing soap mixture, followed by a gentle scrub with the soft head from an electric toothbrush. It's smaller than a regular toothbrush so it works pretty well in tight corners.
The only time I managed to remove nickle plating was with a Dremel and or sandpaper.
I like the idea in using an electric toothbrush to polish the razor. What's the issue with using boiling water?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Plate loss on those British Crats usually looks like rust (gold-ish hue). That just looks like soap residue to me. Go for it - a little polish will make it shine like new again.

like the idea in using an electric toothbrush to polish the razor. What's the issue with using boiling water?
I use the head like you would a normal toothbrush. I only use the electric rotation on straight razors with polishing compound. I wouldnt use the electric rotation on a plated razor. The dirt should come off easily enough.

Plate loss on those British Crats usually looks like rust (gold-ish hue). That just looks like soap residue to me. Go for it - a little polish will make it shine like new again.
I've managed to get them to take another photo of it underneath the baseplate.. it looks as if what you have described as rust is evident on the bottom left near the Gillette logo.. would you call that exposed brass?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 27
I've got one last image I'd like to share regarding the inside of the baseplate.. as you can see here it looks as if there is a bit of green tarnish in the centre near the positioning bar.. would this be considered as the plating being compromised? Appreciate the responses

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    615 KB · Views: 25

Hannah's Dad

I've got one last image I'd like to share regarding the inside of the baseplate.. as you can see here it looks as if there is a bit of green tarnish in the centre near the positioning bar.. would this be considered as the plating being compromised? Appreciate the responses
Not compromised — just some patina with age. A good cleaning would remove that too.

Hannah's Dad

I've managed to get them to take another photo of it underneath the baseplate.. it looks as if what you have described as rust is evident on the bottom left near the Gillette logo.. would you call that exposed brass?
Possibly … but could also be blood stain. What’s the asking price?

Top Bottom