What's new

Pipes

MasonM said:
How long depends upon the size of the bowl. I have one that will smoke in about 5 minutes and a few that will go for a couple of hours.
Could you give me the name of a pipe that can be enjoyed for a couple of hours? Or an hour?

I smoke on a Friday night or a Saturday night..It's real joy to just relax for a bit, with a nice bourbon or a single malt and a book.

I actually just tried pipe smoking...still breaking in my pipe, so still getting a bit of tongue bite, but quite tasty nonetheless.

My current ounce is a local mix called Country Gentleman from 310 Pipe and Tobacco here in Murfreesboro, seems like good stuff.

Smoke easy, smoke slow, and dont forget to not inhale!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Phog Allen said:
I'll tell you guys, if you can ever get your hands on a blend with Syrian latakia in it you'll think you went straight to English blend heaven. Cyprian Lat. is smoky like driftwood. Syrian is like a grand harwood such as oak or ash burning in the fireplace. So rich yet delicate. A real favourite. Regards, Todd

I have some of Greg Pease's ill-fated Bohemian Scandal. Shortly after its release, there was a warehouse fire that destroyed virtually the entire crop of Syrian latakia, ending production of that blend. The last 2 oz. tins I saw for sale were going for >$50 a pop. Not my favorite by a long shot, but a nice blend and a collector's item.
I have a bunch of old Dunhill, Rattray, and McClelland, too. There are just so many great blends to be had.

srajguru said:
Could you give me the name of a pipe that can be enjoyed for a couple of hours? Or an hour?

I smoke on a Friday night or a Saturday night..It's real joy to just relax for a bit, with a nice bourbon or a single malt and a book.

That does sound good!

I find it's the natural tobaccos that seem to go on for an hour or more, especially the flakes. Aromatics, I find, burn fast, hot and nasty.

Stick to virginia flakes or the English blends with Latakia and you won't go wrong.

Gareth

Very interesting thread. This is something I have been curious about lately...I smoke cigars from time to time and wanted to give a pipe another shot. I dabbled with it 7 or 8 years ago but my only experiences were with my local Tinder Box. Trying the different bulk blends that they carried...I think most of them were aromatics so I understand now why I would get tongue bite so often. They just seemed to burn so hot. I can't say that the people that work there are very knowledgable. I don't think that any of them actually smoke a pipe...one can barely communicate in english so forget him. Now with the internet and a couple of site references here I have been doing a bit of reading. I picked up a tin of Dunhills Early Morning Pipe to try out. Looking forward to trying out some of the blends mentioned...

srajguru said:

Not really. Almost every pipe maker out there makes pipes of different sizes. Just find one with a nice large bowl, pack it correctly, and it'll last quite a while.

Ok, I smoked a pipe for the first time tonight!

Earlier today I went to a local tobacco shop and bought and inexpensive pipe, some cleaners, a little pipe tool and an ounce of pipe tobacco. I'm going to have to find another shop, their pipe tobacco selection was extremely meager to put it lightly.
So this evening I went outside with a copy of Richard Russo's Empire Falls and my modest, little pipe and a short pour of Pappy Van Winkle 15. It was a very nice time. And something I know I will do again.
My next step is check out the pipe forums and try another tobacco shop in town in hopes of better pipe tobacco selection.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted with all your great advice and tips, I can't thank all of you enough. :thumbup: I am continually amazed with the knowledge base and generous of spirit of the members of this forum.
Now I'm off to spend more money!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks again. But I hope discussion continues in this thread, Pipes seem really fascinating and I, for one, would love to keep this going. :smile:

After reading this thread, I dreamed of pipe smoking last night. Does anyone know of or have a link to a good starter kit?

I've had little success in the past, but I think I'm just buying bad pipes and worse tobacco. That and I'm sure my technique leaves something to be desired.

srajguru said:

I had a big Pioneer calabash once that would go for 3.5-4 hours regularly. Dropped it and broke the bowl, and haven't seen another one that big since.

You need a big bowl to smoke that long, along with a slow-burning tobacco like a sliced or cubed latakia. The late lamented Bengal Slices was a very slow burning tobacco. I generally burned Balkan Sobranie in my Pioneer calabash, but it's also long gone, and the new stuff just isn't the same.

ouch

mparker762 said:
I had a big Pioneer calabash once that would go for 3.5-4 hours regularly. Dropped it and broke the bowl, and haven't seen another one that big since.

You need a big bowl to smoke that long, along with a slow-burning tobacco like a sliced or cubed latakia. The late lamented Bengal Slices was a very slow burning tobacco. I generally burned Balkan Sobranie in my Pioneer calabash, but it's also long gone, and the new stuff just isn't the same.

I hope you're referring to the regular tin, and not the "Aromatic"
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=1073

The former is a nice, lush smoke, while the latter........ well, you'll just have to read for yourself.:lol:

srajguru said:

All but one of my pipes will easily go for an hour if you smoke them slow and pack them well (like you're supposed to). I would say, the pipe that doesn't would be an exception. I tend to prefer pipes with medium to smallish bowls. I would advise that if you get a small or large bowl pipe, an hour or two would be no problem. I once had a Nording freehand with a large bowl that would smoke for 2 hours, but there was a problem with the amount of moisture that would collect in the bottom after all that time, and the location of the stem hole was such that any fluid would immediately be sucked up the stem.....yeechh, ptuey! I sold it on.

My current favorite is a custom, no name freehand very long churchwarden. The smoke is sooo cool, the pipe looks fantastic, and its great for sitting and reading a book. If I'm going to be up and walking about, I prefer a short stem pipe with a smaller bowl that I can clench in my teeth if I need to free my hands.

ouch

In theory, a churchwarden should be the way to go. I just can't get past the "looking insane" part. A canadian is a cool smoking, more realistic alternative.

Top Bottom