Pilot thoughts: Decimo or Custom 74

Which way would you lean

• Get neither, the Lamy 2000 and Pelikan M205 are better pens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Right now I have the following FPs:
- Kaweco Classic Sport, Clear (F, 1.1mm, 1.5mm nibs)
- Lamy 2000, EF
- Pelican M205-F, blue demonstrator

The Kaweco is my main pen as it is not a delicate princess and stores a ton of ink when eyedroppered, but I also like my Lamy and Pelikan quite a bit.

IF, and that's a big IF, I get another FP, I would probably go for the either the Pilot Decimo (slimmer version of the VP, but uses the same nib sets) or the Custom 74.

I like the idea of the Decimo as I take a lot of notes here and there and the convenience of "the clicker" seems to make sense. A straight up VP is too large for me to be comfortable using (I don't have large hands) but maybe James/@syngent still has his VP and I can play with it for a week or two (hee hee).

The Custom 74 gets rave reviews from what I can see and I love demonstrators. Having a CON-70 push-button convertor just adds to its appeal.

So, help me out. Which way would YOU go?

I own or have owned all of the pens in question. The only caveat there being that my Pelikan and L2K have different nib sizes, and I own a VP, not a decimo.

The only pen of the 5 that I sold was the 74. I had it with a M nib. I couldn't get it to write well to save my soul...I tried about every thing I knew to do (soaking, different inks, reseating nib, different converters, etc...) I know I probably got a dud, but after my experience I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

Ironically, I bought the 74 because I loved my VP so much and wanted to try a Pilot with a "regular" nib.

The nib on my VP is excellent and I really love the one hand operation capability.

I like my Kaweco and Pelikan an awful lot, but I could probably do with out them if push came to shove. I will never be without my VP or L2k...they are bedrock pens that I think any pen enthusiast should not be with out; heck, a Kaweco and a Pelikan is probably on that list too, but not a 74.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Custom Heritage 92. This is a demonstrator and a piston-fill like the 2000 and Pelikan (having a cartridge/converter demonstrator seems pointless to me). It's only ever so slightly bigger than the Pelikan you have, so unless your hands are unusually dainty and lady-like (be glad we don't have custom titles anymore), it should be find for you.

Right now I have the following FPs:
- Kaweco Classic Sport, Clear (F, 1.1mm, 1.5mm nibs)
- Lamy 2000, EF
- Pelican M205-F, blue demonstrator

The Kaweco is my main pen as it is not a delicate princess and stores a ton of ink when eyedroppered, but I also like my Lamy and Pelikan quite a bit.

IF, and that's a big IF, I get another FP, I would probably go for the either the Pilot Decimo (slimmer version of the VP, but uses the same nib sets) or the Custom 74.

I like the idea of the Decimo as I take a lot of notes here and there and the convenience of "the clicker" seems to make sense. A straight up VP is too large for me to be comfortable using (I don't have large hands) but maybe James/@syngent still has his VP and I can play with it for a week or two (hee hee).

The Custom 74 gets rave reviews from what I can see and I love demonstrators. Having a CON-70 push-button convertor just adds to its appeal.

So, help me out. Which way would YOU go?
The VP wasn't mine. It was Andy's, I can tell you after having it for months I never liked it enough to buy one for myself. Size wasn't the issue I just didn't like the clip into my fingers on grip. May not be a problem for you as much at me though

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I appreciate the insight, @Jut; it does sound like you got a dud.

The extra $80-100CDN to move from the 74 or Decimo into the Custom 92 is a deal breaker, even if it is worth the upgrade, @Doc4.

@syngent You're no help at all. :lol:

I appreciate the insight, @Jut; it does sound like you got a dud.

The extra $80-100CDN to move from the 74 or Decimo into the Custom 92 is a deal breaker, even if it is worth the upgrade, @Doc4.

@syngent You're no help at all. :lol:

If you want to buy those pens cheaper look at ebay there there is an much better selection of nibs and they are much cheaper.

I have both the Decimo and a Custom 74. If I lost all my Pilot pens (horrible thought), I'd replace both, but probably the Custom 74 first. I might replace it with a Custom Heritage 91, which is functionally identical, feels the same in the hand, but has some stylistic differences. And I'd certainly get another piston filling Custom Heritage 92.

With the CON-70 converter, the 74 has a large ink capacity, and the Pilot nibs at this price level are all good. Mine has a broad nib, which is not my favorite for general use, but of course you can get them with other sized nibs which I have tried. The sweet spot for me is the FM (fine-medium) nib, which you might only be able to get through a Japanese dealer on eBay or Amazon.

I like my Decimo quite a bit as well, but not for extended writing sessions. Although more comfortable to hold than the fatter Vanishing Point, it's still not as comfortable as the Custom or Custom Heritage pens. Because the nib units are easily swappable between all the Capless pens, I've tried it with fine, medium, and extra fine nibs, all of which work "fine", but just don't feel quite as good to me as the FM nibs on my CH 91 and 92.

And since you ask, the Lamy 2000 is an excellent pen, I just like my Pilots a little bit better. And I wouldn't put the Pelikan M205 in the same class, although mine is good enough.

Depends on purpose. After all, a pen is just a tool. My Pelikans (I have six - 3 M200's) probably get the most use, but for certain uses there are pens that are more practical. The Parker 45 is one of those. I prefer my Flighter (s) but I like the others too. For true old school? Esterbrook J pens or my Parker 51's.

All are workhorses of various types. But my Pelikan 140 might just be my favorite though.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Just placed my order for a Red Decimo M-nib. $152 CDN (~$115 US), shipping included. Might take a few weeks to arrive from Japan.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My Decimo came in earlier this week, but didn't have the C40 convertor which was pictured in the ad.
full

full

Seller (Samura.Japan) offered a refund but the pen looks and feels great, so I decided to source the convertor locally. It turns out that the lady I found on Kijiji also sells Iroshizuki inks, so I know where to get the good stuff when I need more ink. :thumbup1:

Not only did I get the convertor, but mail call this morning also saw delivery of some St Charles Shave Fairway soap via a BST trade and..... a bonus bottle of wonderous joy! You gotta love a great brothers here. :badger:
full

I had a hard time getting the convertor to pull up any ink, so I switched over to syringe-loading the empty cart that shipped with the pen. Turns out that many folks are experiencing the same "joys" of filling the C40. *sigh*
full

I think that I am going to like this pen. :ladysman:

Glad it turned out nicely for you. I don't know why Pilot replaced the con 50/20 with the 40...I'm sure it has something to do with making more money. At least they could have made it hold more ink than the old ones (or any ink at all)[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom