What's new

Pen Review - MonteVerde Prima

MonteVerde Prima

$2013-09-28 13.36.53.jpg

Hand-made European grade Acrylic Resin make up Prima’s cap and barrel. Accented with gleaming chrome, its sleek shape results in a pen that is ergonomically balanced and a joy to own. Large pen and goes with a matching ballpen and rollerball. Comes in a nice solid, large box that features an empty bottom under the pen, where one can store spare nibs, carts and various related objects.

The Prima collection is available in 6 finishes. (I think at one time 7 .. but now down to 3 - Green Swirl, Tiger Eye and Turquoise).

The presented here is the Tiger Eye version with an steel nib that is 1.1 mm in size. Nibs available as F,M,B and 1.1 stub. Silver or black colored.

Appearance and Design

$2013-09-28 13.15.23.jpg

Classic pen shape (to me) looks a lot like some of the Pelikans .. especially reminds me of the Pelikan 100 with the high black dome above the clip. Really flashy color that pictures don't do any credit. Nice orange with silvery/black swirls with some transparency and a opalescent shimmering. Really nice looking .. a small minus, for me at least, is that with the transparency (this is only noticeable on the lighter color variations), some of the threading is visible as well (if you look intentionally so not really bothered by this).

Solid clip on the cap, with a nice flex and retention power. A nice angled opening at the beginning that helps a lot for insertion. Threaded. Cap has the mountains logo imprinted in white on top. Nib has lots of decoration work as well .. the company name imprints as well as the mountains logo and nib size on the right thine.

As seen above .. lots of details like the metal collar on the nib, steel ring on the grip/body divider, nice wide metal ring on the cap bottom that is broken up with a black ring under which we have the company name engraved. Nice threads on the pen .. little noise given the fact that is plastic on some kind of silicone/acrylic.

Weight and Dimensions

Weight:

• 27g - total
  • 17g - body
  • 10g - cap

Lenght:

• 13.5 cm - closed
  • 12.4 cm - opened
  • 15.5 cm - posted
  • 2.2 cm - Nib
  • 6.3 cm - Cap

Nice and large with a comfortable soft plastic grip. In size is some what between the Pelikan M600 - M800. Nib is as big as on the M800 while the overall body dimensions will be about the ones on the M600. Longer grip section compared to bout the Pelikans. Maybe to big posted for some. Comfortable to be held at longer times.

$2013-09-28 13.16.34.jpg

Filling System and Maintenance

Cartridge/Converter that comes with a screw on converter. Converter can also be opened up for cleaning/lubricating as simply as unscrewing the top metal part. Nib can be easily taken out for cleaning or swapping. Given it's large size and the indentation in the fins, it's easy to hold when pulling out with out excessive force. It's friction fit feed/nib that has a clearly grooved opening, where it fits in the grip section. (No pictures this time as my pens is just recently filled up :001_rolle .. will add later on if I don't forget and if some are interested about that).

$2013-09-28 13.15.43.jpg

Nib Performance

This is my first pen that has a nib bigger then an F. Took some time to adjust to the stub and not tilting it to try and write with one thine :001_cool:. Other then the obvious the pen writes really smooth and easy with a minimum of sound feedback. No skipping and with nice horizontal/vertical line variation. As I read and tried .. holding the nib at about 45 degrees counter clockwise it provides the best writing experience in terms of line variation. Turned upside down it will give an thinner line about the size of EF-M nib. Will have a bit more of audio feedback but still smooth and wet enough for no issues in writing. (pardon my messy "s" hehe .. still working on changing my writing habit from printed "s" to an cursive one.)

$2013-09-28 13.20.21.jpg

Conclusion

Nice large pen, may be too flashy for some taste. Only have the 1.1 mm stub nib .. but judging by the smoothness of writing with this one, I have no doubt that the smaller ones are even better. As mentioned comes together with its own converter. Great value for 56$.

Any questions welcomed. :thumbup1:

All color options (As far as my knowledge goes 4 of this are discontinued and only the green, orange and blue are available).
$CAT-MV-Prima.jpg

Both the prima and the intima are great pens, specially at their respective price points

The nib I had was incredibly smooth

Thanks for the review, nixe write up

Good looking pen and an excellent review! Too bad they dropped the other colors...I'm tempted by the dark blue version.

Top Bottom