What's new

PARKER 96R Safety Razor

I have a love hate relationship with my 96R. I'm very new to DE wetshaving. This was my first razor. I also have a SS. The 96R is nothing compared to the SS. But I rotate between the two.

I just recieved a Parker 82r a few days ago and I am very happy with it. It is solidly built, the blade is perfectly centered and it locks
up tight as a drum. I have only been DE shaving for two weeks, I also have a Weishi. I have read quite a few negative comment about both of these brands but I gotta say that everything I said about the Parker also goes for the Weishi.

The Parker with a Shark blade has given me the closest shave I ha e er had in my life. I would not hesitate to recommend the Parker or the Weishi for that matter to anyone.

I've also got a newer 96r, and I like it. It operates smoothly, centers the blade fine and shaves well, can't ask for much more from a $20 new razor. No it's not made as well as a vintage Gillette TTO, but few are. It was my first so it will probably always remain in my rotation. A word of caution though- I've been giving my razors a short soak in alcohol after it's current tour of duty so that it's sanitized and ready when it's place in the rotation comes up again. Prolonged exposure with alcohol will start to take the paint off of the handle.:blink: Now I just give em a swirl in the alcohol. YMMV

I would agree that its not bad. The shark blades that came with it were a bit of a shock (who knew I was a fainter when I bleed?:tongue_sm) but using Dorco 301's has been just fine.

I'm about to get mine in the mail soon. I bought the 96r, and an Omega boar brush. I read online that they're pretty decent brushes. However I'm finding that the 96r is getting a lot of mixed reviews about build quality, reliability, and aggressiveness. I believe that aggressiveness is more of a personal preference, so I'm not too worried there. It's the quality issues I'm worried about mostly. I picked up some Proraso as well, read it was a pretty awesome lather. I'll let you all know how my experience with the 96r goes. Hoping it goes well as I may buy another DE to add to my collection so I have some variety :p. Would like to get into straight blade as well, but one step at a time lol.

My first DE was a Parker 98R ultra heavy weight long handle, fit an finish are good, weight is good, gives a good shave and the shave is good also but the handle is too long. Thinking about getting a shorter handle later it's also one of the redesigned heads which I find to fairly aggressive but nick myself less with it than my 40ish super speed. A very good beginner razor. I find no quality issues with this razor.

Anyone know any info about this razor? I searched the site and didn't find anything. I like the look of it.

Yup, that's what I have now.

I also have a couple of WeiShi. (aluminum, very light, fell like they might break if I dropped them or could bend out of shape easily.)

Compared both with the same blade flipped from one to the other as I did half of my face with one at a time, and the WeiShi felt like I was ripping my face off, and ended using my Parker to redo the spot missings by the WeiShi. So the WeiShi on my rack mostly for show and company for my Parker.

For the Parker 96R (compared to the WeiShi ) the blade doesn't stick out as much and I'd say that the blade angle is tighter (larger angle).

I find that it is very "soft" and glides so well that I have trouble feeling it cutting the hairs.

I've just ordered a Gillette adjustable and I'm looking forward to see how the level of "adjustability" will differ.

While I'd love to try other razors just to compare, I wonder how much it would really be worth it as so far. I simply find it very nice... to the point that if I'm not happy with the adjustable Gillette, I'd consider getting a second 96R just as in case something happened to the one I have.

Other things that I could mention... it's a brass razor with the chrome on top, so it's actually a good weight, it fells very solid and of good quality to me. The mechanics fell sturdy and it closes very evenly.

As far as looks goes, me, my wife and the kids absolutely love the way it looks and feel.. (my kids enjoy their dad doing "old school stuff" and take interest in such things) It fells like a serious device, not a cheap plastic toy.

Please bear in mind that I only started using DE razors only a bit over a month ago so I'm also a newb, but I have not nicked myself even once so far. (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying it)

My first parker some years ago was so aggressive I couldn't use it. The QC was bad and it didn't really look or feel put together properly, it was sold on pronto. Saying that I do own a Parker 94R, a 3 piece and it's a good quailty razor. Fit 'n' finish are as good as Merkur. The shaves are close and comfy but you do have to take time or you'll be rewarded with a weeper / nick.

I must confirm my 45R is also a fine razor with its unique heavy handle. The head and handle have nice finish and tolerances without any problems to mention. I believe the head is the same as the rest of the Parker models produced in the last couple of years - not very aggressive but slightly more so than Merkur.

I have watched the picture and I must say really nice design..And it's color black with the touch of gold in it is tremendous.. Which is Nickel plating on brass frame.. This is an extremely mild razor and needs a very sharp blade to compensate for the mildness.

Yeah the picture was what drew me to it to begin with. I went to a couple of forums while looking for one to buy and read that Parker was a pretty good razor. I looked on eBay for one that was in its original packing and this one came up at a fair price. Plus it looked AMAZING to me so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I'm really quite excited to see how good a razor this is :).

Okay, so here's the latest on my end :). Just got mine in today, and I am SOOOO happy...this is an incredible shave. I don't find this razor to be at all too aggressive at all, but I think that's due to the blades and the fact that my facial hair is pretty coarse. I wasn't comfortable enough to go against the grain at first but to be honest, this wasn't a tough razor to learn to use. I'm sure within a week of using it I'll fine going against the grain. So to the starter of this thread, fantastic razor, it's got my thumbs up :).

Since this last post I've gotten a 1950's Gillette Aristocrat, and I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable in the mail from a friend coming. My Parker was a GREAT starter for the price but...I think that if you can get your hands on something like I have since then, you're better off just doing that.

I've recently bought the 89BL and although it's a three-piece as opposed to a TTO, it's still a lovely piece of kit (once you've got around the smoothest chrome handle ever made!).

Thank you Gentlemen for all the great information. I was contemplating on buying a 96R, but I think I'll keep shopping for that Fat boy.

I have a 96R. I have added a shim under the blade to make it more aggressive. Gives a good shave. I have since gotten a Gillette Slim Adjustable which I use more than the Parker.

I think 96R is mild aggressive, effective, but very harsh, far more harsh than even fatip.
I going to get out from the rotation because in every shave give me several tiny nicks.

I have buy the 96R Parker about four weeks.
Before I had use the Merkur 34c who is a nice razor- but the most blades on it scratching not cut smooth like butter- exception the Perma Sharp blades, you not feel the blade so sharp smooth is it (for my 4-5 days beard like Dr. House).

So then I have bought another razor the Parker 96R, who shave smoother than the Merkur 34c, it is like you shave with an system razor from the drug store. Very smooth and sharp.

Now I test some new blades this week (ladas, Bolzano, 7 o#clock yellow, Rapira)

In moment I have the shark blade in the Parker razor it shave smooth with little bit scraping, smooth scraping- not scratching out the beard stops.

Follow blades I have tested are heavy scratching with the Parker razor:

Supermax
Merkur
Personna
Lord

Good smooth blades:
Derby ( 3 day beard)
Perma Sharp (4,5 day beard) you not feel the blade so smooth it is
Shark (3 day beard) with little bit smooth scraping

New blades who will come this week I will test:

Ladas
Rapira
Bolzano
7 o'clock yellow

what you guys mean aboout these four new blades I will test this week- will they work in the Parker 96R razor?

marcopolo

Top Bottom