What's new

Pants Questions

The company I work for is requiring us to begin wearing work pants that they are going to provide beginning March 1st. Prior to this, we have provided our own pants and as such, I have quite a supply of the requisite color (khaki).

I have ordered and just received my pants through the company vendor and am unhappy to find that they A. are VERY stiff (65/35 poly cotton blend, respectively) and B. The "rise" is too long for my body shape. Having to wear these in a job that is VERY physical and in which I work 50-80 hours per week is not something I'm looking forward to. In fact, I'm afraid these pants are so uncomfortable that it's going to make me miserable throughout the day.

Wearing the pants that I have bought for work (which fit me and my particular body style/shape well) is no longer an option as of March 1st. What can I do in the mean time to quickly soften these pants up and to shorten the rise? If I have to go to a local seamstress, I'm willing to do so, but don't have unlimited funds in which to have these altered.

All thoughts and replies appreciated.

Beerman

I'm sure you could talk with your boss and figure it out. Explain to him/her what you explained to us and see what can be done.

It is all in how you present your case. Ask for help, don't demand anything outright. People are people and most of us people are happy to help one another if the situation is easily fixable especially if the problem hinders your performance on the job.

Once you get to the point where the question rises that how he/she can help you get pants that fit, you must have done some research, maybe find some that comply with the company rules or maybe even suggest you keep wearing your own. Make it easy for him/her to make a choice, so only present 2-3 options.

If this doesn't work. I'm sure some of the other guys have some ways to help you out.

I'm sure you could talk with your boss and figure it out. Explain to him/her what you explained to us and see what can be done.

It is all in how you present your case. Ask for help, don't demand anything outright. People are people and most of us people are happy to help one another if the situation is easily fixable especially if the problem hinders your performance on the job.

Once you get to the point where the question rises that how he/she can help you get pants that fit, you must have done some research, maybe find some that comply with the company rules or maybe even suggest you keep wearing your own. Make it easy for him/her to make a choice, so only present 2-3 options.

If this doesn't work. I'm sure some of the other guys have some ways to help you out.

Very well put. I'm sure if the the color and style are very similar, you should be able to wear your own if you put it to the boss like this.

If your boss is an uncomprimising tool, get some cotton ones that are cut the same pocket wise and have a tailor sew in the tags from the crappy poly ones.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Once the company issues you the pants, are they "yours" to take home and wash? Or are they "company property" for you to wear? This could affect your ability to take them to the local seamstress. (For example, if they were issuing overalls with each employee's name patch sewn on, you get to wear "your" overalls while you work at the company, but when you leave the overalls stay and a new name patch gets sewn on for the next guy who fits them. With pants, maybe they just let you keep them?)

You mention ordering the pants through the company vendor ... maybe ask them if the pants come in any other materials &c ... you might have to pay the difference, but maybe they make a 100% cotton version?

If you have the 'ownership' of the pants and can have them altered in the rise you can try that, but it might be difficult (expensive), as it'd mean taking them in from the top and no doubt re-doing the pockets and replacing the zipper.

You may want to try wearing them to get used to the height of the rise ... you might be pleasantly surprised once you are accustomed to a high rise, at how comfortable a high rise can be. Perhaps the problem is not the height of the rise but the shape of the pants ... a good tailor may be able to spot ways of making the pants fit your body better by taking in or letting out the waist (a much simpler and inexpensive fix), without messing around with the rise height.

To soften them up, just run them through the washing machine every chance you get (except for loads with 'dangerous' colours ... you don't want dye transferring over and you end up with pink-tinted pants or something. :001_unsur)

If your boss is an uncomprimising tool ...

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but the boss may have his hands tied by corporate policy, and quite frankly he could have a very real concern about a "thin edge of the wedge" argument ... if he lets Beerman wear his own similar pants, then what's to stop other guys there from wanting to do the same? No doubt there is a corporate decision to go with a "uniform look" for the employees, and this would be defeating that purpose.

First key to battle is to know your enemy. Find out specifically WHY this policy was put into place, and see if there are any ways you can comply with the intention if not the strictest letter.

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be stuck with the pants O' ****e. I work for one of the bigger companies in the world and the decision came from MUCH higher up than my immediate boss to go with these company provided pants. Talking to my day-to-day boss and pleading my case would be pointless.

I suppose the pants (and other company provided uniform items) are mine, as I know of no way in which they could be collected and returned back to the vendor if one should leave the company. Having said that, I can't afford anything other than a nominal charge to have the rise altered.

To be fair, I'm hard to fit, as I have short arms/legs, a large torso and could stand to loose more than a few pounds. It's been my experience that when I find pants with the correct inseam (27 inches or so) that the rise is proportionate to the inseam-IE they fit better than if I have pants with an original inseam of say 34 inches that I then get hemmed down to my size. Unfortunately with these pants, when I pull them up where they fit comfortably in the crotch, the waistband feels like it's approaching close to my nipples-somewhat like a parody you might see of an older person on SNL.

I imagine that these pants will get softer over time, but the elongated rise is something I'm just going to have to get used to. Maybe this is a sign that I need to begin looking for another job.

Thanks again for the advice.

Beerman

Just a thought, what if you just wore the rest of the provided uniform but just wore your own pants anyway. Since you say they're the same color, who would really notice? Is there some kind of inspection to check? All khaki pants are pretty much the same.
Seems the worst that could happen is that at some point they would mention it, but maybe not right away,at which point can state your case, then maybe have to start wearing the others, but may never hear any mention of it if just wear your own pants if they fit in.

As the saying goes: "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission"

I have this problem too, short with a big gut and tall torso. About the only thing I can do is size up, wear them a little low and strap the belt tight.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
As the saying goes: "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission"

+1. Especially if you are just about ready to look for another job anyway. Perhaps you could wear the company pants at the office, and your own out in the field? What does your job actually entail? Do you do service calls or deliveries, etc?

One question... IS IT POSSIBLE to wear them, aside from feeling or looking ridiculous? Maybe just looking ridiculous, even exaggerating the look, might be just the thing to get a little "I see nothing" tolerance out of your boss that would allow you to quietly continue to wear your customary pants.

I didn't have to have pants, but shirts, I got my shirts the monogrammed logo, which was easy. I worked at our local state prison, which had 100 percent polyester pants that were horrible. Had to wear them, and just had to bite the bullet. If you want another job that is fine, but without getting too personal, could you work on your "figure"? You said you could lose some pounds, would that help the fit? Just a thought.

Marty

I assume that everyone who is suggesting that the OP should ask the company to change the rules just for him has never worked for a large corporation that had a uniform. I have worked for a company that had a required uniform, and we would get sent home if we didn't wear it, or even part of it.

As far as softening the materials, I would try, as suggested above, to wash the uniform as many times as possible to help break the material down. It may not help too much as polyester is pretty resilient stuff. Good Luck!

Top Bottom