What's new

Palmolive stick versus Palmolive stick

I suspect that both forms are still manufactured. I just bought two "GUT" packages of Palmolive sticks a month ago from a UK eBay member. The reformulation was not mentioned on his page. For the record, I like the product and think it is convenient -- especially when flying.

Conclusions

Both versions of the Palmolive stick compared similarly -- although the "GUT(2,2)" version edged the non-"GUT(2,2)" version in terms of latherability and skincare, I was not disappointed with the non-"GUT(2,2)" version. Remember, I did have the non-"GUT(2,2)" since 2007 and had only known that version up until just recently. That said, if I were to use the "GUT(2,2)" exclusively on one shave morning, and then the non-"GUT(2,2)" version the next, the very minor differences between the two would not be apparent, and I would likely conclude that the sticks were identical.

Hope that the above helps! I should probably get myself a stick of Erasmic non-tallow stick and try a side-by-side with the Erasmic sticks....

Cheers,
Jimmy.

I think I'm in denial here (my reaction to the thread title was to shout "OMG WHAT?!" at the computer), but at the end of all this, are we certain this is reformulation as opposed to repackaging? I know they've changed the ingredients listing, but is it conceivable that they're describing the components of the same stuff in a slightly different way, perhaps because regulations or procedure has changed or something? Palmolive cream has just started appearing in new packaging as well, but I haven't tried the stuff from the new box yet.

I think I'm in denial here (my reaction to the thread title was to shout "OMG WHAT?!" at the computer), but at the end of all this, are we certain this is reformulation as opposed to repackaging?
Hard to say, but I certainly don't worry. The short story is that hydrogenated tallow results in more or less the same fats as a mixture of stearic and palmitic acid, provided the ratio is chosen correctly, of course. The only thing missing would be a few % fatty acids with a carbon count of 14 as opposed to 18 and 16, respectively, and those are not that important in a hard soap to begin with.

You can see for yourself: look up the lemma on tallow on Wikipedia, and then consider what happens if the oleic acid is turned into stearic acid, and the palmitoleic acid into palmitic acid. The polyunsatured compounds turn into stearic acid too. That is what hydrogenation does.

Hard to say, but I certainly don't worry. The short story is that hydrogenated tallow results in more or less the same fats as a mixture of stearic and palmitic acid, provided the ratio is chosen correctly, of course. The only thing missing would be a few % fatty acids with a carbon count of 14 as opposed to 18 and 16, respectively, and those are not that important in a hard soap to begin with.

You can see for yourself: look up the lemma on tallow on Wikipedia, and then consider what happens if the oleic acid is turned into stearic acid, and the palmitoleic acid into palmitic acid. The polyunsatured compounds turn into stearic acid too. That is what hydrogenation does.

Woah! That stuff went way over my head!

I have lived in Germany for over 4 years and I have never seen anything else than the "Gut" Palmolive. I suspect that they might have changed the packaging a bit to make it more appealing to some customers.

A question to the mods, if you're reading this -- would it be time to consider a "products compared" subsection on B&B? Both in terms of similarly named products, old and new, and also two different brands that are very similar (ie, I might be looking for something that is just like product X, but has less of this and more of that -- and someone else might know the exact product Y that has these qualities)? Just a thought. *shrugging*
I'd like to see this also ... I'm not sure what format it would take, but the Mods can figure something out.

Perhaps you should write to one or more of the Mods directly and propose this idea ... they may not see it buried in amongst the thousands of threads that they read.

Another useful feature ... something that's been attempted in the past, but never completed ... would be a database of products that would allow sorting and grouping and queries, such as "Which soaps contain Tallow?" or "Which creams use Lanolin?" or "Which aftershaves contain Glycerin but NOT Alcohol?" or "Which brushes have an 18~20mm knot and are Silvertip?"

Palmolive shave stick is my favourite so far as I cannot find anything that can compare to it in terms of value so I hoarded 20 of them. Might buy another 20 from my local supermarket this week just to stock up ... :laugh: They are cheap in UK yet the best in my opinion.

Gymea:

Looking through a few of your posts (Which I thoughoughly enjoyed by the way) ...

If I am counting correctly, you have 28 pucks of Williams and 18 Palmolive shave sticks.

I think that we are going to have to do an intervention here... For your own safety.

Gymea:

Looking through a few of your posts (Which I thoughoughly enjoyed by the way) ...

If I am counting correctly, you have 28 pucks of Williams and 18 Palmolive shave sticks.

I think that we are going to have to do an intervention here... For your own safety.

I don't think an intervention is necessary -- he probably has less than $100 in soaps there and has a year's supply of shaving soap for his whole family. I used to spend more than that during a night at the local watering hole when I was much younger.

Just an update because it is fitting in this thread and wanted the info here, I just received a package from Ireland with these and it came in the same newer packaging but is missing the gut2,2 and has same ingredient list as the prev mentioned non gut2,2 the op posted.
View attachment 578335
Sorry I didn't have a side by side, but the ingredient list are identical to the ones posted at the start of the thread.
I think that its the same after my comparison, but that the non gut is for staying in Germany and the gut box is for the UK because of more strict labeling constraints.

Yes I just got some sticks and creams from my wife's Aunt who lives in Brussels Belgium. I just got the palmolive stick without the gut labeling. Just as you have above. My hypothesis is that the "gut" designation is for certain countries with the E.U. and outside Germany; given that both sticks have the tallow ingredient in them. Now I'm worried that because it doesn't have the "gut" labeling it won't lather or perform as well as those with the "gut" labeling. Someone calm my nerves. Thank you.

Yes I just got some sticks and creams from my wife's Aunt who lives in Brussels Belgium. I just got the palmolive stick without the gut labeling. Just as you have above. My hypothesis is that the "gut" designation is for certain countries with the E.U. and outside Germany; given that both sticks have the tallow ingredient in them. Now I'm worried that because it doesn't have the "gut" labeling it won't lather or perform as well as those with the "gut" labeling. Someone calm my nerves. Thank you.

Haha. Its the same. Short version is its the same.
My supplier in Ireland contacted them and thy said its the new packaging they are using now. I don't think any will have the gut label. But I may be wrong on that part.
But its the same.

Top Bottom