What's new

PAA Cube

Whenever I go to the PAA site to "research" a product I'm inevitably put off by their excessively looooooong and rambling product descriptions and can never find the patience to actually read the mess to find the info I seek.

(Kinda like i just did, but much worse. 🙂)

Anyway, is the original (black) Cube unscented?

I know it's just soap and a bit gimmicky but, even so, it seems a viable option as a face-cleansing prep that wouldn't clash with a favorite shaving soap scent, and would probably last me forever.

Of course, one downside might be the friends and family using the guest bathroom (also my den) and washing up with my Cube instead of using the liquid soap in the pump bottle.

"Hey, that's a cool charcoal hand soap!"

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Whenever I go to the PAA site to "research" a product I'm inevitably put off by their excessively looooooong and rambling product descriptions and can never find the patience to actually read the mess to find the info I seek.

(Kinda like i just did, but much worse. 🙂)

Anyway, is the original (black) Cube unscented?

I know it's just soap and a bit gimmicky but, even so, it seems a viable option as a face-cleansing prep that wouldn't clash with a favorite shaving soap scent, and would probably last me forever.

Of course, one downside might be the friends and family using the guest bathroom (also my den) and washing up with my Cube instead of using the liquid soap in the pump bottle.

"Hey, that's a cool charcoal hand soap!"
I make sure to get the "non-mentholated" version.... But that's my regular pre-shave soap... I use one in the shower and I melted on in one of Scott's Soap Lockers... from The Captain's Choice, of course. I actually enjoy putting on the pre-shave with a brush... though I do have a couple of the Tube 2.0s. I take one along with me on long trips where we have to fly....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello @gpjoe

Yes, I'm most certainly a fan of PAA preshave cubes. I have the menthol one and I love it. Since you are looking for an unscented non mentholated preshave, the one your looking for, is the charcoal one indeed.

1705538132942.png

They are CK6 based, so super slick. They generate enough lather you could stave with them alone. Yes they are soap based, and that's what you want, both in terms of slickness, and as an augment to the soap lather you brush on over it.

Just wet the bottom of the cube, then rub the cube over your face and neck. Set the cube down and use your fingers, or your brush, to work the preshave into your whiskers. I find using a cube dock helps to prevent a mess on your counter space.

1705538515120.png

Here is my setup with the mentholated preshave cube block on my cube dock.

proxy.php

I do agree that PAA'S marketing descriptions tend to go way overboard, that's how you know someone over there has a big ego, and lost a calling to be a graphic novel writer. Having said that, they make some decent stuff though.

I make sure to get the "non-mentholated" version.... But that's my regular pre-shave soap... I use one in the shower and I melted on in one of Scott's Soap Lockers... from The Captain's Choice, of course. I actually enjoy putting on the pre-shave with a brush... though I do have a couple of the Tube 2.0s. I take one along with me on long trips where we have to fly....

I'm guessing you put the Cube in the soap locker and nuked it? I've done that with other glycerin shaving soaps.

PAA makes the Cube in various scents at different times of the year. The Cube 2.0 is the black one with charcoal.
I have that one and found it to boost lather production with RazoRock XXX (but not with other soaps I have).
The residual slickness is very good and I can get away with touch ups with my razor without re-lathering, but try not to get in the habit of doing it.
Having charcoal in it, I would not use an expensive natural hair/bristle brush as it may discolor the hair/bristles.
I have seen the Cube 2.0 make my white shave towels dingy, so when I use the Cube 2.0, I only use a black shave towel.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hmmmmm. I use micro fiber cloths as wash cloths because they are thinner than the excellent wash cloths my wife has... all thick and fluffy.... I can't get my ears clean with them in the shower..... and I use them on my face while shaving. They have never turned black... or even been discolored in any way....says the color blind man. <eg>

Edit: I guess I forgot to add... I use the Cube 2.0 in the shower... and a melted Cube 2.0 in a soap locker... both with every shave. I use the black one... you know.. with the charcoal. <eg>

And I use my badgers with the Cube 2.0 as well. The bristles look the same as they have since I've owned them.....

Hmmmmm. I use micro fiber cloths as wash cloths because they are thinner than the excellent wash cloths my wife has... all thick and fluffy.... I can't get my ears clean with them in the shower..... and I use them on my face while shaving. They have never turned black... or even been discolored in any way....says the color blind man. <eg>

Edit: I guess I forgot to add... I use the Cube 2.0 in the shower... and a melted Cube 2.0 in a soap locker... both with every shave. I use the black one... you know.. with the charcoal. <eg>

And I use my badgers with the Cube 2.0 as well. The bristles look the same as they have since I've owned them.....
Good to know!
Thanks for sharing the details.
I believe my shaving towels are 100% cotton.
I only use synthetic brushed when I use the Cube 2.0.

I am cautious using natural hair/bristle shaving brushes with charcoal soaps after reading posts about Hawaiian Shaving Company soaps. Someone here posted mentioned having issues with light colored horse hair and boar brushes after using one of the HSC soaps.

I'm guessing you put the Cube in the soap locker and nuked it? I've done that with other glycerin shaving soaps.

Why is it so big? That’s the reason I’ve never tried it. More is less.

I'm a big fan of the Cube and I roll with the unscented, non-mentholated carbon version. Like @Phoenixkh I transmuted the funny but awkward giant cube into a bowl I could brushload from. I documented that journey in my journal. 30 seconds in the microwave did the trick and didn't seem to ruin the soap.

The cube 2.0 is an absolutely excellent pre shave product. I run the cube against my face, no brush loading. It lasts quite a while too. I do have the mentholated version and it's quite strong. If morning tears arent your thing, make sure to go for the non mentholated version.

I tried Proraso white preshave before and didn't care for it that much. The cube is miles ahead of it.

Recently I started using Proraso red/sandalwood version, which I find a whole lot better than the white. It leaves my face feel extremely soft post shave, something the cube doesn't really accomplish.
For warmer months the cube is awesome though. Not sure I'll like sandelwood when it gets warmer, so I'm happy to own both.

The cube 2.0 is an absolutely excellent pre shave product. I run the cube against my face, no brush loading. It lasts quite a while too. I do have the mentholated version and it's quite strong. If morning tears arent your thing, make sure to go for the non mentholated version.

I tried Proraso white preshave before and didn't care for it that much. The cube is miles ahead of it.

Recently I started using Proraso red/sandalwood version, which I find a whole lot better than the white. It leaves my face feel extremely soft post shave, something the cube doesn't really accomplish.
For warmer months the cube is awesome though. Not sure I'll like sandelwood when it gets warmer, so I'm happy to own both.
I suppose I could slice it into 8 normal sized soap cubes but then I’d need somewhere to store 7 unneeded soaps. I would more likely put 5 or 6 of them in the bin and just keep one or two for future use.

They sell it in a stick form too, don’t they? Is that a more normal size?

They sell it in a stick form too, don’t they? Is that a more normal size?
I didn't know that. The offer of PAA stuff in mainland Europe is pretty limited compared to US. I dont have a problem with the size of the cube. It's large, but you can claw grab it and rub it around your face. I do understand your reservations, I thought it was a bit out of proportion as well. I guess it's an American thing, but it does work.

Why is it so big? That’s the reason I’ve never tried it. More is less.

I completely repackaged mine. First, sliced it into about eight equally sized pieces. The, grated some of those to fill up a couple of shaving stick tubes. It is a great pre-shave soap, with or without menthol, and the amount you receive is huge. I just found it a lot easier to use as a stick. The remaining soap slices went into a paper envelope and then stored on the shelf for later.

Top Bottom