What's new

Opinion needed on super adjustable purchase

I think forum rules say we can't comment on auctions or prices (until the item is sold or withdrawn?). But I will say this: the worth of any razor comes down to what you are willing to pay for it and the physical condition of the razor.

The Gillette Super Adjustable AKA the Black Beauty, long handle or short handle, is an outstanding razor. It's a fav of mine.

I have a few of these (long and short) and they are nice razors - some in better condition. As mentioned, its worth what you will pay.

I would look to see what other Super Adjustable's are being listed / sold for to determine if this one is reasonable.

Sorry for breaking the rules. I should have been a good forum member and read the rules.

Is it still possible to comment on the condition of the razor? I am not sure what to look for.

This one is my birth year and quarter. I am currently using a Merkur 34C. I was considering an adjustable in order to have the ability to go a bit more aggressive. I read about vintage Gillette’s and it peaked my interest but as I said, i am not sure what to look Fire on a used item.

Been here for years and didn't know about the no commenting on active auctions... But anyway...

Do a Black Beauty search then modify filter for completed and sold items to see what the current market is doing...

That being said I find no other gold Black Beauties for sale or in the completed auctions, and the regular ones in the sold area very from $20 to well over $100.

You're going to have to do your homework and figure out if this is the one for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Another option is to search the Buy / Sell / Trade subforum here. I just did that and there are a few Super Adjustable's listed past and present, that look appear to be in really good shape.

You should expect to pay a premium for a golden one. You should be able to find the more common nickled ones for less.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Did Gillette even make a gold plated super adjustable? My guess is that it is refurbished. That being said it is mighty pretty and looking at the black beauties going for about $40 you can tack on an additional $75 for a template. I would say if your birth year is important to you it looks like a solid purchase.

Take a peek.
20200212_160949.jpg

Sorry for breaking the rules. I should have been a good forum member and read the rules.

Is it still possible to comment on the condition of the razor? I am not sure what to look for.
The forum rules also do not allow to post links to live auctions.
I highly recommend you should take some time and familiarize yourself.

Thanks Tonich. My apologies to the moderators and site owners. I ended up buying the razor, so no harm done to the seller this time, but I do understand the reasoning for the rule.

I really enjoy the site and will endeavor to be better educated on the rules.

Cheers

Top Bottom