What's new

Online Vending.

Gents,

I'm curious about the laws regarding vending online.

For instance, I imagine someone can sell on this forum in bulk without a problem - without transgressing the law - as he could on eBay.

Am I right so far?

But if this person were to launch a website selling the same sort of products he has been vending all along via the aforementioned channels, does he now have to register his website as a formal business in order to be in accordance with the law?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kaveh

For instance, I imagine someone can sell on this forum in bulk without a problem - without transgressing the law - as he could on eBay.

Why would you imagine that?

Though you may have a higher probability of going unnoticed within a smaller online community, any legal obligations incurred from a sales transaction (like income reporting) must still be met.

In most jurisdictions there is some allowance for low volume casual sales by individuals, with few if any requirements. Beyond those limits, you may be obligated to register with some authority, maintain proper records, collect certain taxes, and generally operate as a business subject to the laws and regulations of both your own and your customers jurisdictions.

There are numerous tax, liability, and registration requirements when starting a home business. These vary depending on your jurisdiction. A chat with a local attorney should get you set up to follow and gain the protection of the law, and potentially take advantage of some of the many benefits all levels of government bestow on small business owners.

Really just depends on your locality. Some are more laidback than others. At minimum you might just need to register a business name, or it could be such a hassle as to not even be worth it.

For my website:
-Domain name,
-llc, Missouri State EIN# (had this done by my attorney),
-collect Missouri State tax (Paypal can be structured to do this for you),
-keep good records for filing annual Fed/State tax,
-Depending on what you are selling, Liability Insurance.

I am unaware of any advantages or benefits from government to small businesses as mentioned earlier.
Sue

Top Bottom