What's new

OneBlade Razor

So, on a whim, I ordered the OneBlade Core razor. I’ve tried SE razors before and didn’t like them for some reason. I always preferred my injectors.

I shaved with the OneBlade today. Wow!!! This was the closest to a BBS shave I’ve ever had...in my life. My neck is smoother than ever.

I’m sure once I use it more and get comfortable with it, it’ll only get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've improved the Core from it's original iteration(s), and they now shave much closer to the Genesis & Hybrid models. Each one is actually more, dare I say aggressive or efficient than the model below it. I have one of each, and the Genesis is a bit more efficient than the Hybrid, which is a bit more efficient than Core. - I can actually give myself a nick or cause weepers if I apply too much pressure on the Genesis, and it actually only takes a fairly light touch. The Hybrid allows for more pressure without recourse, and the Core even more so.

Like the Hybrid I picked up for half price so much, I bought the Genesis over Black-Friday, and love it. It's now my go-to razor in the morning, especially for the 5:00 AM shaves like today. - Forgot, the Genesis can actually get 5-6 shaves from a Feather FHS blade, if you flip it every other shave.

I go back and fourth between the Feather and modified GEM blades, with the Feathers yielding a bit closer shave more quickly, and the GEM blades being super smooth, to the point you forget there's a blade in there.

I didn’t have the money, nor could I justify the cost, for the upper two models. I figured I’d try the Core since it was only $20.

They've improved the Core from it's original iteration(s), and they now shave much closer to the Genesis & Hybrid models. Each one is actually more, dare I say aggressive or efficient than the model below it. I have one of each, and the Genesis is a bit more efficient than the Hybrid, which is a bit more efficient than Core. - I can actually give myself a nick or cause weepers if I apply too much pressure on the Genesis, and it actually only takes a fairly light touch. The Hybrid allows for more pressure without recourse, and the Core even more so.

Like the Hybrid I picked up for half price so much, I bought the Genesis over Black-Friday, and love it. It's now my go-to razor in the morning, especially for the 5:00 AM shaves like today. - Forgot, the Genesis can actually get 5-6 shaves from a Feather FHS blade, if you flip it every other shave.

I go back and fourth between the Feather and modified GEM blades, with the Feathers yielding a bit closer shave more quickly, and the GEM blades being super smooth, to the point you forget there's a blade in there.

I liked the blades that come with it, I believe they’re Feathers. Not sure if I’ll experiment with other blades.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It is a good razor if you do a three pass shave, some fellows have different shaving techniques and they will not like this razor IMO because they will not change their shaving methods to make the razor work better. I find that using this razor that I get a great shave with no irritation and no weepers 96% of the time after 20 shaves with it already has to be excellent mild razor on my skin. To make the razor work with the pivot head you have to apply some pressure and at first I was hesitant because that is a bad habit with most DE or SE razors, this OB core seems to work better with a little pressure for what ever reason on my skin & beard stubble.
One thing to mention is the FHS-10 blade does not have longevity in its design IMO.
If you have blemishes or irritation this might be a razor for that individual IMO.
One blade 1 (2).jpg

All this for $19.95 it was worth my time and money I figured. You can use a modified Gem blade also if longevity is a issue, but not sure it is a good idea for some to mess around with sharp blades and possibly get cut.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Good info. I used very little pressure and it seemed to work for me. I did do three passes, same as when I use my injector, and I felt very good with that. The larger head felt a little big to me, but I’m sure I’ll adjust to that.

It is a good razor if you do a three pass shave, some fellows have different shaving techniques and they will not like this razor IMO because they will not change their shaving methods to make the razor work better. I find that using this razor that I get a great shave with no irritation and no weepers 96% of the time after 20 shaves with it already has to be excellent mild razor on my skin. To make the razor work with the pivot head you have to apply some pressure and at first I was hesitant because that is a bad habit with most DE or SE razors, this OB core seems to work better with a little pressure for what ever reason on my skin & beard stubble.
One thing to mention is the FHS-10 blade does not have longevity in its design IMO.
If you have blemishes or irritation this might be a razor for that individual IMO.
View attachment 1052693
All this for $19.95 it was worth my time and money I figured. You can use a modified Gem blade also if longevity is a issue, but not sure it is a good idea for some to mess around with sharp blades and possibly get cut.
Have some great shaves!

Great post I can't seem to get the GEM blades to stay in the Core, do you have a certain technique to get the GEM blade to fit with the Core I've seen a lot of your cool SOTS pics in the SE thread, thanks!

Ron R

Great post I can't seem to get the GEM blades to stay in the Core, do you have a certain technique to get the GEM blade to fit with the Core I've seen a lot of your cool SOTS pics in the SE thread, thanks!

To make the Gem blade stay in the Core or any variants you have to mock the (Gem clone) as close as possible.
I use a wedge shim also that pins the blade down wards after blade is installed.
Here is what I do to make modified Gem blade for my Core.
OBC1 (2).jpg All you do is give a view twists and slight pull and its off that easy.
OBC3 (2).jpg I use electric tape to protect the cutting edge & from cutting myself, it also keeps the metal from flying off when sniped.
OBC2 (2).jpgLay out the targets with a sharpie pen.( I placed some white paper for viewing only
reason.)
OBC4 (2).jpg I use a metal snip with a steel rule that acts as a stop so not to over cut the targeted area. Mark the tin snipe in the sweet spot to keep contestant. I always snipe the length ways first, it seems to work the best.
OBC6 (2).jpg First corner cut out, I used spent blades to perfect this procedure for myself with some discouraging results until it was perfected. Use the electric tape to increase success.
OBC7 (2).jpg Test to make sure it fits the razor, if it is a little lose don't worry about it for now.(make sure tabs or ears are some what straight.
OBC8.jpg You should hear it click in place if you are fairly close, it might be a little lose but so are the FHS-10 blades when installed.
OBC9 (2).jpg ONE B 1 (2).jpg ONE B4 (2).jpgThis is the plastic magnetic business card (.020 thousands of a inch thickness) that acts as a wedge and it works excellent(you could use waterproof alternative). Just push it until it close to flush to top of blade. (you do not want to shear the plastic keepers off by pushing the blade like some did on Version 1 of the core using Gem blades possibly from my understanding). The wedge pins the blade down and keeps enough resistance while shaving up against the blade keepers. I usually make a small batch up of 4 blades so it does not become a hassle.
Not sure this is worth the effort for some and buying FHS-10 blades might be less a issue if you have no simple tools or just not the mechanically inclined type.
But if you like the Gem SS PTFE blades for their great performance in longevity & sharpness this is the only way I know how to get to that shaving pinnacle.
The Oneblade Core is great mild razor with a min 3 pass shave with some added pressure(adding a little pressure is usually taboo with DE or SE razors but with the Core is not a issue IMO) and will give less irritation and weepers than most other razors IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Back in early October, I got sucked in by the $19.95 price and ordered a Core. It gave me a good but unspectacular shave with the included Feather blades, an easy DFS all over with no irritation, nicks, or weepers (actually, a week's worth of DFS with just the first blade).

It did suffer by comparison to the razor/blade combinations bracketing that trial run. Just prior to the Core, I had used a post-war Tech with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword, and I followed the Core with a Fatboy/Med Prep. Both shaved a bit closer than the Core, but the Core might have had a tiny comfort advantage. So it could be part of a rotation, but not my go-to razor. Still, it looked good as a travel razor.

Then around the beginning of December, they offered three "Mystery Boxes" for $60.00-$250.00, all of which were guaranteed to contain at least a Hybrid. I'd heard that the Hybrid head was basically a Genesis head tweaked to mount on a Core handle, so since I'd had the Core for less than 2 months, I returned it and purchased the $60.00 mystery box. That box included a Hybrid, a synthetic brush, shaving cream and aftershave balm.

The Hybrid matched my DE razors for closeness. I abused it, tried to cause irritation just to see if it could be done. Apparently not. If there's a way to harm yourself with a OneBlade, I haven't found it. I applied more pressure than I've ever used even with a cartridge. What I got was a comfortable shave that was DFS in my troublesome areas and BBS everywhere else.

TL/DR

The Core struck me as a good value at $20, but it wouldn't convert users of Rockwells, R41s, or Slims. The Hybrid's only drawback was the blade cost. YMMV. I still don't see me ever spending over $100 for a single razor though.

Last edited:
I had a OneBlade all medal one a couple of years ago. It gave me very close shaves, smooth with no irritation at all. It is well designed. My only problem with it is that it was too boring. With shaving being my hobby as well as a means to an end, I want something that requires at least a little skill.
It would be pretty hard to nick yourself with this razor.

Ron R

Back in early October, I got sucked in by the $19.95 price and ordered a Core. It gave me a good but unspectacular shave with the included Feather blades, an easy DFS all over with no irritation, nicks, or weepers (actually, a week's worth of DFS with just the first blade).

It did suffer by comparison to the razor/blade combinations bracketing that trial run. Just prior to the Core, I had used a post-war Tech with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword, and I followed the Core with a Fatboy/Med Prep. Both shaved a bit closer than the Core, but the Core might have had a tiny comfort advantage. So it could be part of a rotation, but not my go-to razor. Still, it looked good as a travel razor.

Then around the beginning of December, they offered three "Mystery Boxes" for $60.00-$250.00, all of which were guaranteed to contain at least a Hybrid. I'd heard that the Hybrid head was basically a Genesis head tweaked to mount on a Core handle, so since I'd had the Core for less than 2 months, I returned it and purchased the $60.00 mystery box. That box included a Hybrid, a synthetic brush, shaving cream and aftershave balm.

The Hybrid matched my DE razors for closeness. I abused it, tried to cause irritation just to see if it could be done. Apparently not. If there's a way to harm yourself with a OneBlade, I haven't found it. I applied more pressure than I've ever used even with a cartridge. What I got was a comfortable shave that was DFS in my troublesome areas and BBS everywhere else.

TL/DR

The Core struck me as a good value at $20, but it wouldn't convert users of Rockwells, R41s, or Slims. The Hybrid's only drawback was the blade cost. YMMV. I still don't see me ever spending over $100 for a single razor though.
Good write up on your experiences with the Oneblade Core & hybrid, if they price the Hybrid on a good sale I might consider it. ( I have enough razors for many lifetimes at the moment.)
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SOTD Thursday - Jan-16-2020

Razor : Oneblade Core version 2- MFG 2019
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (9)
Soap Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush : Razorock Noir 400- great brush
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a Dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:

SOTD Jan 16-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Good write up on your experiences with the Oneblade Core & hybrid, if they price the Hybrid on a good sale I might consider it. ( I have enough razors for many lifetimes at the moment.)
Have some great shaves!
Me, too. But I'm a weak man.

To make the Gem blade stay in the Core or any variants you have to mock the (Gem clone) as close as possible.
I use a wedge shim also that pins the blade down wards after blade is installed.
Here is what I do to make modified Gem blade for my Core.
View attachment 1053235 All you do is give a view twists and slight pull and its off that easy.
View attachment 1053237 I use electric tape to protect the cutting edge & from cutting myself, it also keeps the metal from flying off when sniped.
View attachment 1053236Lay out the targets with a sharpie pen.( I placed some white paper for viewing only
reason.)
View attachment 1053238 I use a metal snip with a steel rule that acts as a stop so not to over cut the targeted area. Mark the tin snipe in the sweet spot to keep contestant. I always snipe the length ways first, it seems to work the best.
View attachment 1053239 First corner cut out, I used spent blades to perfect this procedure for myself with some discouraging results until it was perfected. Use the electric tape to increase success.
View attachment 1053241 Test to make sure it fits the razor, if it is a little lose don't worry about it for now.(make sure tabs or ears are some what straight.
View attachment 1053242 You should hear it click in place if you are fairly close, it might be a little lose but so are the FHS-10 blades when installed.
View attachment 1053243 View attachment 1053244 View attachment 1053249This is the plastic magnetic business card (.020 thousands of a inch thickness) that acts as a wedge and it works excellent(you could use waterproof alternative). Just push it until it close to flush to top of blade. (you do not want to shear the plastic keepers off by pushing the blade like some did on Version 1 of the core using Gem blades possibly from my understanding). The wedge pins the blade down and keeps enough resistance while shaving up against the blade keepers. I usually make a small batch up of 4 blades so it does not become a hassle.
Not sure this is worth the effort for some and buying FHS-10 blades might be less a issue if you have no simple tools or just not the mechanically inclined type.
But if you like the Gem SS PTFE blades for their great performance in longevity & sharpness this is the only way I know how to get to that shaving pinnacle.
The Oneblade Core is great mild razor with a min 3 pass shave with some added pressure(adding a little pressure is usually taboo with DE or SE razors but with the Core is not a issue IMO) and will give less irritation and weepers than most other razors IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Wow this was insanely helpful thank you I really enjoyed the shaves the core with the blade price was just too much this will definitely take away some of the cost , I've saved this comment thanks again

Just be careful with inserting blades in the core you can cut the blade corner protectors clean of with a sharp blade loading to deep

Attachments

• F840AD6C-B1B6-4279-8FD3-139C6D686693.jpeg
    F840AD6C-B1B6-4279-8FD3-139C6D686693.jpeg
    912.3 KB · Views: 26

Ron R

Just be careful with inserting blades in the core you can cut the blade corner protectors clean of with a sharp blade loading to deep
What blade were you using when that happened or were you experimenting? I have heard of shearing them off on the Version 1 when you could just use a de-splined blade. On OB Core version 2 you have to notch it to fit inside the blade chamber properly and they went to highest quality polymer.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
OneBlade delivers a good shave. The blades are not the cheapest, but they run sales from time to time. I like my OneBlade. They take a lot of heat from some folks, but they are a damn fine razor in my opinion.

What blade were you using when that happened or were you experimenting? I have heard of shearing them off on the Version 1 when you could just use a de-splined blade. On OB Core version 2 you have to notch it to fit inside the blade chamber properly and they went to highest quality polymer.
Afaik it is a V2 (slightly more narrow) and it is with a feather for which the polymer is no challenge

however it seems there is a v3 which uses even stronger polymers!
Mine are at least 2 years old the one I use most is a v1

and from left to right
V1/2 with a gem
V1 with a feather
V2 butchered by a feather

Attachments

• 457061C5-C44D-4DDC-82AB-C48C40BE7B6B.jpeg
    457061C5-C44D-4DDC-82AB-C48C40BE7B6B.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Top Bottom