What's new

One (not only) for the Europeans

i am of european heritage and if anything i would connect more with americans than chinese. having said that i agree with me countryman legion that most countries and i include america don't get the aussie sense of humour.
It may be something as simple as that . . . the American "sense of humor" is often thought to be less ironic than Aussie/British/European humor. It might also be education levels or life experience (travel) . . . It has been my experience that those who do not travel much have a far different outlook on life than those who do.

Interesting question, actually.

This is an attempt to show that Americans can do sarcasm, right? :confused1

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that I get along with both Americans, Canadians and Europeans, Aussies or Kiwis of all sorts just famously if we share some common ground and interests. I think that some kind of common denominator is the key. True, US citizens may sometimes have to do a littke extra work with our sense of humour (contrary to common misconceptions we do have one!) or the fact that Germans are enthusiastic users of foul language...*g*

I'm not so sure about Armenians, though :wink:

I find that I get along with both Americans, Canadians and Europeans, Aussies or Kiwis of all sorts just famously if we share some common ground and interests. I think that some kind of common denominator is the key. True, US citizens may sometimes have to do a littke extra work with our sense of humour (contrary to common misconceptions we do have one!) or the fact that Germans are enthusiastic users of foul language...*g*

I'm not so sure about Armenians, though :wink:

fyi i am born and raised in the u s a. Third generation my great grand parents came here in 1915 from turkey after there family's were slaughtered by the Turks during the genocide.

Both my grandfathers fought in the second world war one in europe and one in the pacific.

I have both lived and traveled in.Europe fwiw i have had to ad pages twice to two different passports of that tell you how Mich i have traveled over seas . Ever since 9- 11the American bashing just gets.worse all.the time. Btw i love Germany more.then all.the euro countries pit together at least the Germans are honest and direct not sneaky like.a.certain neighbour of there's.

Gents, there really is no reason to get all worked up about this.

I'm sure the OP never meant this thread to be interpreted as some kind of ant-American rant.

I'm sure the OP never meant this thread to be interpreted as some kind of ant-American rant.

Oh, I'm certain it wasn't. I think what he's asking isn't why isn't he connecting with Americans or any particular nationality, but why isn't he connecting with a group of people. What's causing that? To reiterate what someone said earlier, it's an interesting question actually.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think there's a lot of truth in that comment by Raisindot above ... :wink2:

... most of the Americans I work with seem to be perfectly nice, hardworking people ...

You're right. Seems likethe OP actually said something nice about the Americans he sees where he is. Absolutely no American-bashing by the OP here.

The sense I get is that the OP would like to make more American friends, and is wondering how he can go about doing that.

Humor can either bring people together or create a barrier. Depends on your reaction.
While riding the Shinkansen to a conference years ago I complained to a British friend that all the English announcements were in British English, although most foreigners in Japan were American. Without a second's hesitation, he replied "That's because this is a first-class train. If you'd like to hear North American English perhaps you should try a nice slow country train, maybe the Kikugawa Daily." From that moment on we were fast friends.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Humor can either bring people together or create a barrier. Depends on your reaction.
While riding the Shinkansen to a conference years ago I complained to a British friend that all the English announcements were in British English, although most foreigners in Japan were American. Without a second's hesitation, he replied "That's because this is a first-class train. If you'd like to hear North American English perhaps you should try a nice slow country train, maybe the Kikugawa Daily." From that moment on we were fast friends.

Replace the final sentence with ... "That's when I hit him, your honour."

:wink2:

Oh, I'm certain it wasn't. I think what he's asking isn't why isn't he connecting with Americans or any particular nationality, but why isn't he connecting with a group of people. What's causing that? To reiterate what someone said earlier, it's an interesting question actually.

Nail hit squarely on the head.............(figure of speech, not in a violent way!)

in real life, face to face, i get along with americans extremely well and very easily (have traveled there often). on the internet, it's a totally different story. sense of humour clashes and discrepant political views suddenly create barriers. reason seems to go out the window. it still can't add it all up correctly.

[born in yugoslavia (before the break up), now living in canada]

v.

great story/read.

only wish more people on this site had a sense of humour like yours, imagine the great banter people could have. top marks to the englishman for having quick wit with great humour btw. it's that fast wit that some people have that makes life funny and enjoyable, once you know you can share it you have found a good friend!

btw, you'd be even faster friends if you replied, " fair enough, but when i want to travel to england i fly with british concorde and listen to french".

Last edited:
Top Bottom