What's new

Once again, too many choices. $50-120

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Once again, I'm in need of some suggestions. I'm thoroughly enjoying the pens that I currently own, but I'm also looking for an upgrade. I'm looking for a fountain pen somewhere between the $50-120 price range and there are so many options out there. I'm open to vintage, used, or new. I'm not aware of a b&m store near me that carries fountain pens (or at least more than a couple), so I'm looking to see what you kind people would suggest.

Currently, I have a Lamy Safari (F), a Pilot Metropolitan (M), a Nussbaum Nicholas (Knox #6 nib), a Jinhao x450, a Noodler's Nib Creaper, 2 J-Series Esterbrooks (1551 & 9556), and a Platinum Preppy (M). I enjoy all of them for different reasons, but I probably use the Lamy the most. But, it really just depends on the day and what type of writing I'm doing.

I've been eyeballing a few pens: The Sheaffer 300 & Sagaris, the Monteverde Invincia and Impressa, the Italix Parson's Essential, and the TWSBI 580, 580 AL, and the Vac 700. My consideration of these pens come strictly from online reviews and random interest.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'd be glad to expound on what I like or don't like about a pen if prompted. Thanks!

I can recommend the 580AL and Vac700 which are my daily work use pens. You may also want to consider the Pelikan 200. I have one which I use at home and highly recommend.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is at the top end of your price range, but is IMHO just a fantastic pen, and a piston-fill to boot.

Get that one on your radar, ASAP.

For vintage, you should be able to get a very nice Parker 51 Aerometric (If you want a Vacumatic, make sure it's been recently restored.

My current favorite modern pen in that price range is the Platinum 3776 Century. They have gold nibs in a nice variety of sizes, look great, write great, and are well made. If you shop around you might be able to find a Lamy 2000, also a fine pen, a piston filler, an excellent writer, and looks pretty classy (as long as you like a black and stainless steel, Bauhaus-styled pen).

I've been very happy with my Vac 700 with 1.1mm stub. It's a smooth writing pen with nice line variation and holds a ton of ink. It's a large pen, but I appreciate that.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

I've watched and read reviews of the recommended pens so far. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Custom Heritage 92. I'd more than likely go with a medium nib. If I end up choosing the Vac 700, then I'll probably go with a 1.1mm or a 1.5mm stub nib.

I'm looking to make a decision in the next few days, but my birthday is on the 27th, so who knows, I might just end up picking up another pen in my price range at the end of the month. :w00t:

I'm still open to suggestions, though, and may not even choose the 92 or Vac 700, so if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free to do so.

Last edited:
Why not get both the Heritage 92 and the Vac 700? That way you don't need to choose between the two :lol:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Why not get both the Heritage 92 and the Vac 700? That way you don't need to choose between the two :lol:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking! :laugh: Although, I'll probably just get one right now, and the other after my birthday. I'm back in college right now, and have tuition due for the Fall semester coming up, so I don't want to drop too much money until after I make my tuition payments. Plus, that'll give me a few more weeks to do some research on whatever I choose my second choice to be.

My custom heritage 92 is easily my favorite pen and it just squeaks into your price range from Japanese sellers on ye ole auction site... Awesome nib and piston filler so holds lots of ink.

My 580AL is up there close, and at the lower end of your range from Goulet. Spare nibs are cheap(ish) so you can experiment with multiple sizes. I have several nibs for mine and change them around and experiment. I even bought one of these pens for my wife as an upgrade from her Metropolitan. It's definitely larger but is very smooth and priced to where I would not lose too many nights sleep if I lost or broke it... If that were to happen however, I would replace it immediately. Others would never own one so it is definitely a YMMV pen.

If you can score a vintage Pelikan 400nn in your price range you'd be in for a heck of a treat! Make sure you check which nib you're getting if you go that route as there are several different choices depending on what your looking for. Some of these vintage nibs are fee I-flex and others are not at all.

Others have mentioned the Pelikan 200 and they are spot on also. I have one in cognac and it is always inked.

If if you like your Lamy then consider watching Mass Drop for the 2000 in the macralon version. It's just above your max range but a heck of a pen and also a piston filler with a great nib. I can't speak about the macralon exactly, as my 2000 is the stainless version but I have the macralon version on my short list.

In summary though, if your leaning towards the Custom 92 then lean on the "buy it now" button and watch your other pens get pushed aside... You will not be disappointed... If you are, send it to me!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I ended up getting the Custom Heritage 92. I thought my other fountain pens were fairly smooth until I wrote with the 92 about 30 minutes ago. :thumbup:

I almost picked up a Pelikan Classic M200 as well for a good price as well, but I figured that it would be a bit unreasonable for me to get more than one $100+ pen at a time. I need to pace myself.

I've been following this thread, as I was in the same market. I made a detour to Wonder Pens on a trip through Toronto recently, and ended up with a TWSBI Vac 700 EF. I'll get another nib for it surely, or else another pen. I didn't want to replicated shaving career and go from beginner gear to my high end in 3 months. I'm trying to savour this a little more.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I've been following this thread, as I was in the same market. I made a detour to Wonder Pens on a trip through Toronto recently, and ended up with a TWSBI Vac 700 EF. I'll get another nib for it surely, or else another pen. I didn't want to replicated shaving career and go from beginner gear to my high end in 3 months. I'm trying to savour this a little more.

I hear you. One of the main reasons that I decided to upgrade so quickly was because I've always been into writing, and use a pen and paper to do so, unless I have no other option but to use a computer (emails, school assignments, etc.). I figure that even if fountain pens as a hobby fades for me, I will always be able to use them on a daily basis.

Top Bottom