What's new

On a Serious Budget. . .

Do your research on the watches and then hit up the pawn shops and see what shows up around $50.

Having a $100 buffer is really desireable.

Phil

If you are close to graduating, depending on your planned career path, you might consider a watch that will look good in a job interview, and even wearing on the job after you get hired. Most people right out of college aren't really prepared with clothing and accessories, including dress watches, for the work place.

I'd say get a pair of shoes. If you dig around for a while, you will be able to pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in black for less than $250. You can try the AE trunk sales or call the AE shoebank and see if they have any seconds (I've got 4 pair of seconds and I can't see the flaw on any of them). If you are in a career that requires frequent suit wearing, a pair in this style/color are likely to be your first pair anyways. If you choose a career that doesn't require suits, you will still have at least one nice pair of shoes that are appropriate at weddings, funerals, and job interviews.

yeah I am 3 semesters away from my mechanical engineering undergrad, will certainly be interviewing heavily at that point, but it's a ways off

Extra $200?

1. A nice casual watch (Seiko 5, Orient or vintage), but nothing quartz - go for an automatic or mechanical. A new Seiko or Orient can be had under $70 and these will stand up to some abuse and keep great time. IMHO - nothing beats a classic design automatic for an everyday watch. My poor student days are well behind me, but a Seiko 5 is my everyday watch (and I'm waiting impatiently for a $58 Orient to arrive so I can add it to my rotation). Spending a couple grand on a nice watch may be well worth it in a few years, or you may end up with buyers remorse and end up flipping the thing, but personally, I've never been less than amazed looking through the clear back of an automatic watch that it could be had for under a hundred bucks.

def take some time and do the research as suggested above - when you do finally make a decision, the knowledge gained will be well worth whatever the price paid.

2. A good pocket knife (CRKT M16-EDC, Volcan Coranado or any Case or Gerber) - another $30 down.

3. Since your a student, maybe a decent pen with a couple refills

With the leftover $50-70, maybe an upgraded strap for that watch - nice leather or solid stainless bracelet - or you could just be responsible and buy a couple cases of beer.

I have the same problem, I've busted like 4 watches in the last year by banging them on equipment around the hospital. They were just inexpensive work watches($20-$30), but it got to be a hassle.

So recently I got fed up and dropped some dough for a new Atomic Casio G-Shock. Damn near indestructible. Atomic time keeping, solar powered, shock proof, water resistant to 660 feet(200 meters), auto led light, and tons of other bells and whistles. I love it! Great watch without completely breaking the bank.
http://www.extremewatches.co.uk/Cas...0DU-1AVER+Radio+Controlled+Solar+-+Silver.htm

Though you can spend a couple hundred dollars less and get a more base model G-Shock, with the plastic bands/case. Very nice, tough tough tough watches, and run in the $50-$100 range.
http://www.extremewatches.co.uk/Casio+Watch+|+Casio+G-Shock+AW-590-1AER+-+Black.htm

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you, 22 and do not have a job that pays enough for me to buy very expensive nice things. But I finally found some watches I might buy that are 100 or under! Nixon. I also want a pair of Ray Bans but I am going to hold off on those :thumbdown

Top Bottom