What's new

Omega 11137 vs. Semogue Owners Club

It is all good and well with all those Semogue comparisons, but how do a Semogue compare to the competition?

A question that appeared when I saw a thread for Omega brushes, so I thought it could be fun (as always :wink:) to see if I could get an answer.
So I picked one of my Omegas, the 11137, took a look at the knot size and loft to find the Semogue that came closest; it was the Semogue Owners Club (aka SOC).

So, let's start this rather interesting comparison:

I will just start out with the data to show the similarity of the brushes.

Data

Omega 11137
Semogue Owners Club
Hair typeBoarSpecial grade boar
HandleWood, dark ashWood, cherry
Weight [gram]53.960.5
Knot diameter [mm]24.024.2
Loft height [mm]53.456.5
Total height [mm]111.8117.0

If I just feel the bristles in dry condition I can't really tell a difference in the density of the knots. I did this by squeezing the knot halfway up - a very unscientific and non-conclusive test :biggrin1:

Test

I soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Kent Shaving Soap.

Loading: Both brushes picked up soap without any problems. I had to load a little longer with the SOC but if this was because of the brush or because the soap was getting a little more dry is impossible to say.
Whipping up the lather; again both brushes did this without any problems and created a nice creamy lather.

First pass: Surprisingly they felt much alike. I don't know why, but for some reason I had imagined that there would be a noticeable difference between them.
Backbone felt similar, the splay was equal and the slight prickliness of the tips were identical.

Second pass: The second pass normally starts to show small differences, but I couldn't really detect any, it was pretty much as the first pass.

Third pass: Still backbone and splay were identical, but I believe I could feel a difference now. The SOC somehow felt more compact (in lack of a better word). It is hard to describe, because backbone and splay didn't show anything, but the SOC's knot felt more dense somehow.
The feel of the tips was equal - a slight prickliness when using circular motions and very nice and soft when using painting motions.

Fourth pass: Apart from the SOC feeling a little more dense, the performance of both brushes were very much alike.
After rinsing the brushes and feeling the bristles again, it was now obvious that the SOC had a denser knot than the Omega.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Result

Taking a look a the data before initiating the test I expected the SOC to be slightly more floppy than the Omega given the loft height was three mm larger. It is not much, but sometimes it is just enough to make a small difference in performance. The expectation didn't come true, as the SOC felt just as firm as the Omega and I think this must be because it has a denser knot.

As mentioned above I had anticipated a difference in the feel of those two brushes given the fact they are of different brands, maybe because this is what I frequently experience when using badger brushes - they can be very different within the same hair grade. But those two boar brushes performed what I will describe as identical.

As can be seen in the photo, the SOC splay more than the Omega after use which leads me to believe that the knots are not set in the same way. Semogue seems to have tendency to set the knots so that the hairs spread or fan out a little more.

If I really have to nitpick here I will say the the SOC handle is better to grip. It feels more comfortable and the balance of the whole brush is a little better - for my liking. Aestethical I like the look of the SOC better too.

Performance wise I can't say one brush is better than the other, they are very well build and if those two were your candidates my recommendation would be to take the one you think looks best - or my brush mantra: "If in doubt, get both." :thumbup:

IMO you did a very thorough review and seems like you took a non-biased approach. Someone considering either of these brushes will appreciate this thread.

Pricewise, the Omega is a bit cheaper @ ~$20...the SOC varies in price. You can order it from WCS @ $45 or you can get it from VintageScent @ $28. I did the later, and love my SOC.

Very good job!

Excellent review Soren! I truly enjoy reading them my friend.

I recently myself have been trying to compare my omega pro to the Semogue LE 11 FBristle 2. The loft on the pro 48 is so long I trimmed it to equal the exact loft of the semogue. This is what I got after trimming it. Its a great hobby to try out and a cheap alternative for sure. It is very scrubby and lathers like a monster. The loft went from 70mm to 55mm Here are some pics attached!

You should try it out since your known for the great reviews :001_smile!

$img4959zv.jpg

$img4960b.jpg

$img4958c.jpg

Excellent review Soren! I truly enjoy reading them my friend.

I recently myself have been trying to compare my omega pro to the Semogue LE 11 FBristle 2. The loft on the pro 48 is so long I trimmed it to equal the exact loft of the semogue. This is what I got after trimming it. Its a great hobby to try out and a cheap alternative for sure. It is very scrubby and lathers like a monster. The loft went from 70mm to 55mm Here are some pics attached!

You should try it out since your known for the great reviews :001_smile!

View attachment 248878

View attachment 248879

View attachment 248880

It doesn't look like the hairs split after the haircut, and my guess would be, that it is now a scritchy brush - I like soft.
However, it does surprise me as I actually thought (most) boar brushes were cut into shape - apparently they are not, looking at your brush.

Another great comparison Søren! I don't own a 11137, but do have the 10005 model which I believe has very similar specs. I've held off getting an SOC due to it's size for some time, but you're little by little pushing me over that line everytime you choose to include the SOC in one of your brush threads.

Keep'em coming! Love reading these.

Very informative review and comparative study!

I have both the Omega 10005 and the Semogue SOC.
It does seem like the 10005 and 11137 may share the same head, and only handle differs.

IMO the Semogue SOC is much denser and the Omega 10005 on the floppy side in comparison to the SOC. But do like both brush, and both have a respectable place in my den, the SOC slightly ahead, it is a superb brush, perhaps the best boar ever made as some believe.

It does seem like the 10005 and 11137 may share the same head, and only handle differs.

I thought so too initially, but they don't. I've got both and there is a difference in both knot size and loft.

Knot [mm]23.224.0
Loft [mm]58.253.4

Thanks Soren. Would you say the 10005 is a bit more floppy than the 11137?
It would seem that way based on their mensurations.
I am now intrigued by the 11137.

Thanks Soren. Would you say the 10005 is a bit more floppy than the 11137?
It would seem that way based on their mensurations.
I am now intrigued by the 11137.

I don't know.
I don't think I have ever used them back to back so I would have noticed a difference.
I feel a comparison coming up :tongue_sm :lol:

I thought so too initially, but they don't. I've got both and there is a difference in both knot size and loft.

Knot [mm]23.224.0
Loft [mm]58.253.4

I'm sorry, but I stand corrected. The knots are identical.
I was just looking at them and they looked more identical than the numbers in the table above, and a quick measurement showed a loft of about 54 mm and a knot size between 23.5-24.0.

I am currently at work, so the exact numbers will have to wait. I have either made a bad/wrong measurement or my spreadsheet is sorting wrong.

Søren, were both brushes broken in or are they both new?

Both brushes are well broken in.

It doesn't look like the hairs split after the haircut, and my guess would be, that it is now a scritchy brush - I like soft.
However, it does surprise me as I actually thought (most) boar brushes were cut into shape - apparently they are not, looking at your brush.

Fair enough this brush isn't as soft compared to the Semogues or the Omega you compared. I tried my best to keep the knot in shape when I trimmed it myself lol.

Awesome, I just picked up an Omega 11137 yesterday. This will help keep me from feeling much pressure to try the SOC for a bit, thanks! *LOL*

I really enjoy your approach to these comparisons and I may need to try a 11137 soon. I have an OC (which I love) but the only Omega's I have at the moment are a turnback travel brush and the 10039 (I think, it's the big cheap "pro series" one). Both are adequate but wouldn't mind seeing what else they have to offer.

I made a bad measurement - which after all is better than my spreadsheet macro was wrong :biggrin1:

Another measurement (checked twice according to Santa's rules :lol:)

Knot [mm]23.224.0
Loft [mm]54.353.4

I don't take the difference in knot size as more than a question of manufacturing deviations.

Resurrecting a somewhat old yet important thread.
If I really have to nitpick here I will say the the SOC handle is better to grip. It feels more comfortable and the balance of the whole brush is a little better - for my liking. Aestethical I like the look of the SOC better too.

Performance wise I can't say one brush is better than the other, they are very well build and if those two were your candidates my recommendation would be to take the one you think looks best - or my brush mantra: "If in doubt, get both." :thumbup:

I don't think it is nitpicking at all. Lately I came to realize how important is a good handle in a brush and how a mediocre brush design just takes away from the whole experience. I have the 11137 which is nice. I actually messed it up a while ago by soaking it in very hot water in vase like dish and it started shedding after that, but it was fun while it lasted. I took delivery of the 2012 LE SOC (mixed badger/boar knot). I have not used it yet beyond the defunk lathers, but the handle is the same shape as the SOC. While the 11137 handle is adequate, the SOC handle is superb.

The Omega from connaught is $14 shipped.
The SOC from vintagescent is about $30 shipped.
And to complete the picture, the Semogue 1800 is $20 shipped (amazon). It is different but well regarded nonetheless.

Is it worth to pay double the price just for a handle? in my opinion the answer is a resounding yes. An mediocre handle is harder to hold and just makes the hand tired, it depends on the person of course, but for me it makes a big difference.

Top Bottom