What's new

Old Type Set - Help requested

Hi. Picked up this case the other day. Never mind the fact that the razor is incorrect... :)

I tried to find this through the only source I know as a newbie: Mr. Razor, and the closest I could come is the 1911 Pocket Edition 503-B . However, the diamond in this is only gold outline but is a gold-filled diamond in the attached pictures. Also, the case exterior design is different. I do see some other pocket editions, but mostly have the basket-weave design on the case.

So, my question...
What is it and what razor would be best with it? I can't seem to find the smooth-ball-end that is shown in the Mr. Razor picture, so maybe a hunt is coming.

Based on comments from one of my earlier posts on a razor for the Red/Black, where Gillette may have used whatever NEWs that they had when filling the Red/Black sets, did Gillette do the same thing with these kits? Meaning, sometimes the Diamond may or may not be filled in and/or the metal case exterior (in this example) may or may not be the same imprint (realizing also that Mr. Razor may not be every case made). And that's OK. I'm simply trying to make this as accurate as possible and the razor that's there is not an Old Type, obviously, and I am assuming the kit is an Old Type pocket edition of some sort.

In short, I just want to have the right razor and blade bank (unless the blade bank is accurate to the set, and may not have anyway to know on that) to go with it as I re-build it and then re-purpose the NEW that it came with it in the sale.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Snip20180616_3.png Snip20180616_4.png

R

romsitsa

Hello,

has the bottom of the case patents listed or is it plain?
It looks like a post 1911 ABC case reused with a ww1 or later liner. If it doesn't have the patents then it's a post ~1918 case.
Special pocket editions came with New razors, but these usually had the thinner handle.
I tried out my 502 case with a common bar New and the handel (although not smoothly) fits the case so it could be a matching set.
The blade bank is ok for that case, the bullet proof matching razor would be a post 1921 ball end.

Adam

This is from "The Encyclopedia Of Gillette Open Comb Razors".....

DSC01045.JPG DSC01048.JPG

Note that the Flower Pattern case, #503B has been completely redesigned. It now features roses rather than lilies on the case's lid, as well as that the Type V Printed Logo once again replaces the ribbon tape. The thicker case, with the smooth bottom and two rivet latch remained. It is believed that, due to the last of the A.B.C. manufactured #503B cases having been consumed, this set was made with the new style Rose Pattern Case of the "Old Type" series of razor, which appeared shortly after this razor was manufactured.

This set, with it's gold Ball End was among the last Pocket Edition sets to be produced by Gillette. It was manufactured in 1921, the same year that Gillette stopped issuing serial numbers to their lower priced razors, and the Pocket Edition sets were replaced with the "Old Type" sets. (For more about the Rose Pattern #503 case, please refer to "Chapter 10, The Old Type Single Ring and Ball End Razors, 1921- 29".)

Cheers,
Kevin

This is from "The Encyclopedia Of Gillette Open Comb Razors".....

View attachment 891182 View attachment 891181

Note that the Flower Pattern case, #503B has been completely redesigned. It now features roses rather than lilies on the case's lid, as well as that the Type V Printed Logo once again replaces the ribbon tape. The thicker case, with the smooth bottom and two rivet latch remained. It is believed that, due to the last of the A.B.C. manufactured #503B cases having been consumed, this set was made with the new style Rose Pattern Case of the "Old Type" series of razor, which appeared shortly after this razor was manufactured.

This set, with it's gold Ball End was among the last Pocket Edition sets to be produced by Gillette. It was manufactured in 1921, the same year that Gillette stopped issuing serial numbers to their lower priced razors, and the Pocket Edition sets were replaced with the "Old Type" sets. (For more about the Rose Pattern #503 case, please refer to "Chapter 10, The Old Type Single Ring and Ball End Razors, 1921- 29".)

Cheers,
Kevin
Wow. I'm am always in awe of the knowledge of everyone who replies in this Forum and so freely! Thank you for this. That is exactly it and while I looked for two days to try to do my own research, and to hone my newbie skills, before reaching out, such a fast reply from everyone is very appreciated.

So my take away is that I will now need to search for the old-type razor pictured in your post. That is my current hunt now, and then to polish up the other razor and decide if I keep or sell.

Thank you, Kevin.

This appears to be the correct razor....but am I missing a nuanced detail that would not make this one a fit?Snip20180616_5.png

(While maybe not perfect fit with the blade bank, just trying to ensure I'm on the right track with the razor)

The proper razor for that set would be any gold 1921 - 1929 "Old Type" ball end razor.
These are the one's without a serial number and patent information. Luckily, these are
also among the most affordable of the older razors. Take your time and find one in the
best condition possible. It takes patience, but will be worth the wait.

The blade box in the photo is referred to as being a "cigarette lighter style" blade box -
for it's resemblance to a Zippo, and the fact that the previous style blade box was designed
to be used as a vesta (match safe)-- and if it's a gold plated one, is the proper blade box for
this set.

Cheers,
Kevin

The proper razor for that set would be any gold 1921 - 1929 "Old Type" ball end razor.
These are the one's without a serial number and patent information. Luckily, these are
also among the most affordable of the older razors. Take your time and find one in the
best condition possible. It takes patience, but will be worth the wait.

The blade box in the photo is referred to as being a "cigarette lighter style" blade box -
for it's resemblance to a Zippo, and the fact that the previous style blade box was designed
to be used as a vesta (match safe)-- and if it's a gold plated one, is the proper blade box for
this set.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin, thank you for the guidance. Really very helpful. I'll start my search and see where it goes.

Top Bottom