What's new

Oh boy. I cannot use my new straight razor. This is not a Theirs Issard.

As mentioned in another thread here, my new razor came in today. Brand new wrapped in paper, in its box with its suede pouch and instruction sets.
Nowhere on this blade is it engraved Theirs-Issard.
I believe that for my first razor I accidentally stepped off into the realm of collector pieces. And now have something I cannot use.
The Razor is marked " Le Grelot" 355 6/8..................and it has P. Hospital & Co.

I found this about it.
Theirs Issard purchased The Grelot cutlery company in 1983, but before that the French company won many awards and is still considered one of the greatest straight razor makers in the world.

When first I opened the box and saw the razor, I was floored. It is absolute beauty. I wanted to see if it would tree top hair and it does so rather easily. So I blew the hairs off the blade, gave it a slight wipe with a very soft jewelers cloth that I have here, and put the paper back around it and back in its box. The only thing marked " Theirs-Issard" is the suede pouch. I took it out again tonight and was studying it. That's when I noticed all of this.
The spine work on this thing is deadly and you can clearly see that the razor, as a whole, is of the finest craftsmanship.
It did come in a Theirs Issard box , however. The box reads, Theirs-Issard Handcrafted in France with a sticker that reads , HLEGREL6/8188RBELD, HISTORIC LE GRELOT, WITHOUT MARK MIRROR, POLISH RED BOXELDER BURL.

Unless someone here can ease my mind, I don't think I am going to use this thing to shave with. I may have to buy another razor that is in production now that can easily be replaced. Rather than trash a collectable show piece. And now, I do not know what I am going t do with this razor. It's drop dead gorgeous. I really like it a lot....A LOT. But at this point this razor has never been used and I don't have the heart to trash up anything that may be collectable and worth more to someone else, than me. What do you guys think? Personally I think I stepped into something collectable by accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use it - shaving and proper maintenance will not trash a razor.
I’ve been fortunate to buy many nos razors but I use them all. Look after them properly and they will remain in great condition

use it by all means!!!!

otherwise that would be as useless as a "gun safe queen." for those of you who dont know.....thats a nice piece that cost a substantial amount of money, but sits in the gun safe only to be occassionally pulled out and wiped off. no ducks, rabbits, quail, or pheasant to be had.

we only get through the Big Top circus once my friends........use it and enjoy!!!!

maintain it on a strop and barring any major mishaps a 12k. anything else send off to reputable honemeister.

camo

P Hospital & Co were once the owner of the Le Grelot brand. It looks like Thiers Issard found some new old stock blades from Le Grelot prior to their ownership and decided to sell them. IMHO the P Hospital & Co made Le Grelot's are the best and most sought after. Wonderful shaving razors.

I think if you plan to upkeep the razor for years, dont learn how to hone from bevel on that specific razor. But you should use it, its collectible like all these older razors are collectible.

It is definitely a beautiful blade, sir, but these tools were meant to be used when they were made, they weren't created to be kept away from their born task.

Here’s a compromise for you. Shave with it and enjoy it. When it needs honing, then send it to a professional. It will keep its value.

Shave with it! It’s a beautiful razor, the le grelot blades were blanks that thiers issard bought and refinished to sell. If you’re worried about the razor just shave with it normally and when it needs a touch up put a layer of tape on the spine. That way the engraving and spine work isn’t damaged.

If you're really worried, just dry and oil it after each use. Proper drying and oiling will keep it mint indefinitely. And honing should barely be reflected on it for many years unless it gets damaged (dropped, whacked on a faucet, etc)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If that is your first razor, I suggest you get a beater to learn with, first. Make your mistakes on an expendable razor that is still up to the task of shaving you properly. Set the LG back for now. Yes, it should be used. That is what it was made for. But make your mistakes on something cheaper and more replaceable. Sure, a Gold Dollar would be fine if it is shave ready. I would steer you away from the 66 and more toward the P81 AKA 1996, though. A good vintage would be even better. For new, a Ralf Aust would work for not too much dough, though I am all aglow about the Dovo Bismarck, myself. Give entry level Dovos a miss, IYAM. Strop the sacrificial razor. Shave with it. Repeat about 90 times. Then break out the LG and give yourself a treat.

Likewise, when you are ready to start honing, learn on the expendable razor. You can really cause a lot of havoc on a nice razor while learning to hone. That's okay... if you are giving the business to a razor you can afford to trash. Once you are somewhat skilled in the honing sciences, by all means, hone your LG yourself.

As mentioned in another thread here, my new razor came in today. Brand new wrapped in paper, in its box with its suede pouch and instruction sets.
Nowhere on this blade is it engraved Theirs-Issard.
I believe that for my first razor I accidentally stepped off into the realm of collector pieces. And now have something I cannot use.
The Razor is marked " Le Grelot" 355 6/8..................and it has P. Hospital & Co.

I found this about it.
Theirs Issard purchased The Grelot cutlery company in 1983, but before that the French company won many awards and is still considered one of the greatest straight razor makers in the world.

When first I opened the box and saw the razor, I was floored. It is absolute beauty. I wanted to see if it would tree top hair and it does so rather easily. So I blew the hairs off the blade, gave it a slight wipe with a very soft jewelers cloth that I have here, and put the paper back around it and back in its box. The only thing marked " Theirs-Issard" is the suede pouch. I took it out again tonight and was studying it. That's when I noticed all of this.
The spine work on this thing is deadly and you can clearly see that the razor, as a whole, is of the finest craftsmanship.
It did come in a Theirs Issard box , however. The box reads, Theirs-Issard Handcrafted in France with a sticker that reads , HLEGREL6/8188RBELD, HISTORIC LE GRELOT, WITHOUT MARK MIRROR, POLISH RED BOXELDER BURL.

Unless someone here can ease my mind, I don't think I am going to use this thing to shave with. I may have to buy another razor that is in production now that can easily be replaced. Rather than trash a collectable show piece. And now, I do not know what I am going t do with this razor. It's drop dead gorgeous. I really like it a lot....A LOT. But at this point this razor has never been used and I don't have the heart to trash up anything that may be collectable and worth more to someone else, than me. What do you guys think? Personally I think I stepped into something collectable by accident.
proxy.php
My vote is use it. It’s a tool. Just take good care of it. If you never plan to sell it. it doesn’t matter how much it appreciates or even depreciates. Just enjoy your time with it because eventually someone else will use it years from now.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When Le Grelot went IOB, Thiers-Issard bought the assets, or at least the blade blanks. So it’s actually both, a historic Grelot blank and a Thiers Issard.

Use it and enjoy it, but don’t learn to hone on it and don’t hone it yourself until you’ve mastered basic honing (not wearing the razor out).

NOS LeGrelot are not that rare as it was one of the most popular brands sold.
And even if it was a unique piece, the point of having a beautiful razor is to enjoy using it.

This is very beautiful razor. It would provide you much pleasure to use it. There is no reason to reduce it to a display piece only. Get it shave ready, and shave with it. With some care, it will stay in good shape for a long time.

Top Bottom